PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing the text

jthomp
05-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Is there a way to analyze the similarities or diferences of the text of a book or books? For instance how would I analyze the text of Isa 1-39 against the text of Isa 40-66 or the text of 1 Peter against 2 Peter. What I'm looking for is the style of vocabulary used, specific words, frequency of similar and dissimilar words, etc. Thanks for any comments!

Adelphos
05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
There are many ways you could go about it. It ultimately depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I suggest you start with the WLM (Word List Manager) --

Tools | Analyzing The Text | Word List Manager

After you open the WLM make sure your mouse is anywhere inside and then press F1. This will bring up the WLM help file.

Since the Petrine letters are small, I also suggest you start with them. Load the words from 1 Peter into the first column, then load the words from 2 Peter into the other column.

Now that you've done that, look at all the menu items in the WLM. This will give you a feel for how the text can be manipulated.

Glenn Weaver
05-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi jthomp,

There is a Study Guide in BibleWorks 8 that shows how to compare the vocabulary of two books using the Word List Manager. This Study Guide can be opened by going to the main BibleWorks menu, then selecting Help | Study Guides. In the Study Guides window, under Analyzing Bible Text select Comparing the Vocabulary of Two Books.