PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Dumb Question Time....

jthomp
05-06-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm trying to produce a report of all the verbs in a book. I can do that easily using the word list manager but I get the lemma form. What I really want is the manuscript form of the word. Is that possible? If so, how do I do it? Thanks in advance for your responses.....

jimofbentley
05-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Word List Manager
Load or Generate Word List
Version - WTT for Hebrew OT; GNT for Greek NT (rather than WTM/GNM which give just the lemmas)
Set your verse range
This should give you all the words as they appear in the text.

But could you please tell me how how to select just the verbs? I didn't know we could do that, and would love to find out. Thanks

Michael Hanel
05-06-2010, 09:55 AM
This is what I did, it should work (the only question of why it wouldn't might be if BGM and BGT aren't sync'ed properly, but I think this is the default mode).

1. in Command Line: l eph (limits to book of ephesians, e.g.)
2. in CL: bgm
3. in CL: .*@v*
4. in CL: bgt
5. Open Word List and under File select Load words from last query option (note if it's important to you to have the accents/breathing marks, you need to check the box on this pop up that says "Keep Greek accents...")

Let me know if that's what you wanted.

jimofbentley
05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks Michael,

That did exactly what I wanted.

Glenn Weaver
05-07-2010, 10:01 AM
If you want to keep the verbs in the order in which they appear in the text, the KWIK module is the tool to use.

Classroom Tip 3.1 shows how to list Hebrew verbs in a passage. These instructions work for Greek or Hebrew. For Greek, search on a Greek morphology version and display the search results in the companion text version.
http://www.bibleworks.com/classroom/3_01/index.html

Adelphos
05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I think the KWIC is broken. I can't get it to display any words at all.

Glenn Weaver
05-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi Scott,

You aren't putting a period in front of the search term, are you? If so, then nothing will appear.

If removing the period doesn't solve the problem, then could you list the exact search settings and search terms that you are using?

Thanks!

Adelphos
05-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Oops. I had left the word box blank. I was following the example in Classroom tips, but I forgot to enter the search criteria. IOW, it was my brain that was broken, not the KWIC.

Glenn Weaver
05-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm glad that it is working for you, Scott.

The search found exactly what you searched for. You found all the "nothings" in the Bible. :-)

MGVH
05-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Glenn! That's a neat little trick. It's especially nice since one of the recent updates allowed for the option to export using Unicode.
One interesting I discovered... I wanted to turn the "reference word" into 2 separate columns by using MS Word's "Convert text to table" tool. It didn't seem immediately easy to do until I saw what the KWIC export was actually providing.720
The fonts and sizes don't seem to be controlled by the Font options dialogue. What I noted was that a 12pt space of BWGRKL is added into the text. I could use that to do a search (on the font) and replace (with a tab character) and then easily convert to a table. The result is that my table can be like the second one rather than the first one.

jimofbentley
05-08-2010, 05:27 AM
MGVH,

Great tip about the Greek.

Unfortunately, BW uses Arial font in the Old Testament for the space, but I was able to use the same principle, but with a couple of extra steps.