PDA

View Full Version : Where Do I Post a Database Error?

TimM
05-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I Clement 41:1 in BW8 has εὐαρεστείτω and not εὐχαρεστείτω. APF says it is using Lightfoot's text, but Lightfoot has εὐχαρεστείτω, noting the known variant εὐαρεστείτω in his notes (II:124), but saying εὐχαρεστείτω is "doubtless correct."

I couldn't find a forum to report database errors. Any direction would be appreciated.

Tim

Michael Hanel
05-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I Clement 41:1 in BW8 has εὐαρεστείτω and not εὐχαρεστείτω. APF says it is using Lightfoot's text, but Lightfoot has εὐχαρεστείτω, noting the known variant εὐαρεστείτω in his notes (II:124), but saying εὐχαρεστείτω is "doubtless correct."

I couldn't find a forum to report database errors. Any direction would be appreciated.

Tim

You can send it in an email to dberrors@bibleworks.com. Depending on the circumstances, such errors can be updated immediately or else they put them together in a list and when they have enough of them they will issue the corrections, but without me even looking at Lightfoot's text, it sure sounds like it really is a typo.

TimM
05-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Thank you, Michael. I will send the email.

Tim

Mark Eddy
05-03-2010, 02:38 PM
The issue is not as simple as a typo. (By the way, Lightfoot has εὐχαρiστείτω not εὐχαρεστείτω.) APF is not strictly following Lightfoot. It could be made to do so, if an editor so chose (for the books which Lightfoot includes). But the Loeb edition was also consulted, as mentioned in Help section 61 (Loeb was used exclusively for Hermas and mostly for the Didache). A now-departed BibleWorks user came up with an electronic text for Clement, Ignatius, and Polycarp which was said to be based on Lightfoot's edition. Someone else provided BW with a full electronic text of the Apostolic Fathers, including books not in Lightfoot, but it was full of errors and omissions. I compared the two texts, and usually kept the text provided by the first-mentioned BW user. Where the two texts disagreed I used Index Patristicus by Edgar Goodspeed (based primarily on the Gebhardt, Harnack, and Zahn edition of the Apostolic Fathers) to break the tie. Where the two electronic texts did not disagree, I did not check the actual printed edition of Lightfoot (or Loeb). The Gebhardt, Harnack, & Zahn edition reads εὐαρεστείτω in 1Cl 41:1.
So, BW actually contains an eclectic text of the Apostolic Fathers. And unless someone wants to go through the entire text and make it agree with Lightfoot's edition in Clement, Ignatius, and Polycarp we may well decide not to make the change here, since some other editions (and manuscripts) actually contain the word in question.
Mark Eddy

TimM
05-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Mark,

Thank you for such a thorough answer and for all the work you put into the text. I agree it is not a typo. It is a choice of which variant.

I think the issue is one of how the APF text is described. The Version Info for APF as found in BW8 is given below. The Info is somewhat different from the wording in Help section 61.

I did not realize that APF is intentionally an eclectic text. The wording below led me to believe it intended to reproduce Lightfoot. When 41:1 did not present the Lightfoot text that I expected, I assumed it was an error. Perhaps the wording below can be modified to describe the eclectic nature of the text as you detail it above.

Thanks again, Tim
================================================== =========================
APF

These texts contain the Greek text of the Apostolic Fathers as found in Lightfoot's edition.

They are provided courtesy of the work of a number of BibleWorks users.

The text is in the public domain.

APF contains the Greek portions and APL the Latin."
================================================== =========================