PDA

View Full Version : BW and Remote Controls

ingosorke
04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
I can forward/backward verses with my remote ("Powerpoint Clicker") on one computer but not on another. On the latter a "forward" push prompts the cursor to go to the next translation, but not the next verse. Any ideas?

Thanks, Ingo

P.S. The Hebrew/Greek Reader's Bible is out: 978-0310325895 - great resource, and at least partially produced with Bibleworks!

ISalzman
04-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I can forward/backward verses with my remote ("Powerpoint Clicker") on one computer but not on another. On the latter a "forward" push prompts the cursor to go to the next translation, but not the next verse. Any ideas?

Thanks, Ingo

P.S. The Hebrew/Greek Reader's Bible is out: 978-0310325895 - great resource, and at least partially produced with Bibleworks!

Hi Ingo. Do you have the Hebrew Greek Reader's Bible? I went online to look at some reviews and to get some information about it. Overall, people were enthused, but there were some distinct knocks on it. For example, there is no text-critical information provided with the Hebrew Bible. And apparently, the Greek text is the one that was edited by the translation committee of the TNIV. They made some text-critical decisions that depart from Novum Testamentum.

Also, I'd be curious to know the size dimensions of that Bible (Height, width, thickness, and weight). I suspect that it might be a monstrosity to schlep (carry) around! Grateful for any feedback.

Irving

ingosorke
04-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Irving, it's 9.9 x 7.1 x 2.4 and yes, it's hefty but not unwieldy (I'll report the exact weight later). Yes, TNIV notes show up, and yes, not textual-critical features, but for the pure point of reading the Greek and Hebrew text on paper, without having to flip pages or use tools like Sakae Kubo or Longenecker or Zerwick it is a very convenient tool.
The Hebrew font (Bibleworks-based!) is excellent; the Greek is a little thin, but at least it's not cursive anymore. The footnoted terms would be a lot easier to find if Zondervan had rendered them in bold print.

These minor shortcomings have not kept me from making it a new textbook requirement. Most Greek/Hebrew students don't use their significant language and tool investment after course completion. I think this Reader's Bible might just be the resource to help students continue read biblical languages beyond academic requirement.

FWIW - Ingo

ISalzman
04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Irving, it's 9.9 x 7.1 x 2.4 and yes, it's hefty but not unwieldy (I'll report the exact weight later). Yes, TNIV notes show up, and yes, not textual-critical features, but for the pure point of reading the Greek and Hebrew text on paper, without having to flip pages or use tools like Sakae Kubo or Longenecker or Zerwick it is a very convenient tool.
The Hebrew font (Bibleworks-based!) is excellent; the Greek is a little thin, but at least it's not cursive anymore. The footnoted terms would be a lot easier to find if Zondervan had rendered them in bold print.

These minor shortcomings have not kept me from making it a new textbook requirement. Most Greek/Hebrew students don't use their significant language and tool investment after course completion. I think this Reader's Bible might just be the resource to help students continue read biblical languages beyond academic requirement.

FWIW - Ingo

Thanks very much, Ingo. I appreciate the feedback.

Irving

Michael Hanel
04-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Thanks, Ingo

Does the one computer have a different setting system for your controller so that forward does one thing on one computer and a different thing on the other or is does the button work the way it should in all other programs?

The only other thought is that you might have a different installation of BibleWorks on that computer that doesn't have the sync feature set up the same. To do that you'd have to click on the browse window and toggle it by pressing control-shift-up arrow.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

ingosorke
04-26-2010, 05:02 PM
One is Win XP with BW 6, the other Win 7 with BW 8. Haven't looked into the inner workings yet, but that's probably where it's at.

ingosorke
04-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Hebrew/Greek Reader's Bible: ~ 3.5 lbs
NET Bible First Edition and MacArthur Study Bible: a little over 3 lbs
NIV Study Bible: just under 3 lbs
iPad: 1.5 lbs (ok, I'm off topic now)

Don't worry, I've weighed Bibles before . . .

Ingo

ISalzman
04-26-2010, 11:39 PM

Ingo

Thanks Ingo! By the way, though I'm not a terribly big John MacArthur fan - I'll give him that he's a good expositor - somebody told me recently that his study bible is excellent!

Michael Hanel
04-26-2010, 11:47 PM

Ingo

Yes but will my back grow weary of 3 lb books first or will the battery on my reading material die? :)

ISalzman
04-27-2010, 10:32 AM

Ingo

Ingo, do you know if they make the Hebrew Greek Reader's Bible for the iPad and Kindle platforms?

ingosorke
04-27-2010, 11:35 AM
No Kindle or App version (yet).

So, where's iBibleworks?! Or the Bibleworks App? I'm sorry having to leave the Bibleworks world when it comes to mobile.

ISalzman
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks Ingo.

Irving