PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining permission to use HALOT, etc.

Dan Phillips
04-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Greetings, BW Brainiacs.

I've written a book of studies in Proverbs which is in the stage of securing permissions for quotations. I have a number of quotations from BDB, and fewer from HALOT. Chiastically:

How does one obtain permission to use HALOT from BW? Does BW grant permission? Do you know whom to contact, otherwise?
How about BDB? Does BW own it? Do I ask them, or...?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Hanel
04-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Greetings, BW Brainiacs.

I've written a book of studies in Proverbs which is in the stage of securing permissions for quotations. I have a number of quotations from BDB, and fewer from HALOT. Chiastically:

How does one obtain permission to use HALOT from BW? Does BW grant permission? Do you know whom to contact, otherwise?
How about BDB? Does BW own it? Do I ask them, or...?

Thanks in advance.

I know this is no help at all because it doesn't answer the question, but isn't that the kind of stuff the publisher should help with? Unless you have quoted significant portions of either of those resources, all that should be necessary is proper bibliographic acknowledgment.

Adelphos
04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Michael is correct. Unless you are citng significant portions of one of those works, which I very much doubt you are, for a significant portion would be at least several pages or more per citation in most cases, then you don't need anybody's permission as long as you provide a legitimate bibliographic reference.

Dan Phillips
04-30-2010, 10:06 PM
No, Michael. So far, both of the publishers I've contracted with expect me to secure all permissions.

Many publishers say permission isn't necessary for under 200, 300, even 500 words from a single source. But then again, I wrote English dictionary publishers, and they expected requests for permission for any quotation. Thomas Nelson expects very detailed written permission requests for any quotations. Baker wanted me to pay $75 for reproducing a simple (but brilliant) little chart.

So... Brill for HALOT. Yeah, it seems reasonable that if I say "HALOT renders XXX by 'billygoat,'" but in this world, I worry. Wish someone knew for sure.

Mark Eddy
05-01-2010, 01:41 PM
See BibleWorks Help section 61 Database Sources and Copyrights.
There it says in part:
The various Bible translations, original language texts, Lexicons, Reference Works, and other Helps used in BibleWorks are all protected by Copyrights. The Copyright holders are listed in the following section. Each is used in the BibleWorks product by permission of the listed Copyright holder. If you are making extensive quotes or exporting large blocks of text to a word processor for re-publishing (usually if over 200 verses or more than 10% of a published work), then you need to obtain permission in writing from the appropriate copyright owner. Except as stipulated in Copyright Law, you are prohibited from copying any of the BibleWorks databases unless permission is specifically granted in the following copyright notices. You are also prohibited from altering any of the BibleWorks databases unless you are granted permission to do so by the copyright holders.

HALOT - The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament by Ludwig Koehler And Walter Baumgartner, subsequently revised by Walter Baumgartner and Johann Jakob Stamm with assistance from Benedikt Hartmann, Ze'ev Ben-Hayyim, Eduard Yechezkel Kutscher, Philippe Reymond, translated and edited under the supervision of M.E.J. Richardson 1994-2000 Koninklijke Brill NV, Leiden, The Netherlands. All rights reserved.

"Fair Use" has always allowed for short quotations, provided that proper attribution of the quotations are made in footnotes. These footnotes are in effect advertizing for the book. I am looking at a journal article right now, which cites a definition in BDAG. It says simply "BDAG, s.v. ekklhsia (3bb)." (Except that parts are in Greek font). I'm sure the publisher of the journal did not get written permission from the publisher of the book for this citation. If such citations violate copyright law, nearly every scholarly publication is in violation of copyright. But the laws are written specifically to allow such use. Now you know where to write, to get it "from the horse's mouth" what HALOT considers "fair use." But BibleWorks does not own the copyright for HALOT or BDB, and so you cannot get permission from them to quote these other copyrighted resources.

Mark Eddy