PDA

View Full Version : Parshiot in Hebrew Text

TimM
04-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Are there any Bible versions in BibleWorks8 that label the parshiot in the Hebrew text and also if a particular parshah is open or closed?

Thank uou,

Tim

rdtaylorjr
04-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding your question... the parashot are included in WTT. They are marked by a pe when they are open (petuchah) and samek when they are closed (setumah). They should show up as regular Hebrew characters in the text even when Hebrew accents and vowels are turned off.

TimM
04-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Thank you for your help. I should have made my question clearer. I was referring to the Weekly Torah Portions (commonly also called Parishiot) or Sidra. These are marked in BHS on the inner margin (similar to the Eusebius canons in the Gospels in Aland27).

Rashi has an interesting comment that Gen 47:28 is the only Weekly Torah Portion whose beginning does not coincide with an open section marked within the text itself. I had not noticed this before and was wondering if the Sidra were marked in some way within BW8 so that this could be searched for.

I can cross-reference it with a printed copy of BHS, but BW8 is wonderful for making things so electronically convenient.

ISalzman
04-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Thank you for your help. I should have made my question clearer. I was referring to the Weekly Torah Portions (commonly also called Parishiot) or Sidra. These are marked in BHS on the inner margin (similar to the Eusebius canons in the Gospels in Aland27).

Rashi has an interesting comment that Gen 47:28 is the only Weekly Torah Portion whose beginning does not coincide with an open section marked within the text itself. I had not noticed this before and was wondering if the Sidra were marked in some way within BW8 so that this could be searched for.

I can cross-reference it with a printed copy of BHS, but BW8 is wonderful for making things so electronically convenient.

Tim, unfortunately, the parshiyot do not come marked in BW. You can find the the limits of each weekly parashah or sidra online at http://bible.ort.org/intro1.asp?lang=1. Also, DavkaWriter, a Hebrew-English word processor from Davka Corporation (Davka.com), includes the full text of the Tanakh with the parshiyot indicated in the Pentateuch.

Adelphos
04-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Some may find this website helpful since we're talking about Rambam's work --

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~elsegal/TalmudMap/Maimonides.html

Glenn Weaver
04-26-2010, 08:28 AM
I may be mistaken, but I think that the Bible Outline that appears at the top the Browse Window may provide what you are looking for.

At the far right of the Bible Outline is a drop-down arrow button. Click on this arrow button, and select "parashot". This loads the Parashot outline into the Bible Outline. When you change verses, the outline will display the parashot section for that passage of Scripture.

TimM
04-26-2010, 09:56 AM
I may be mistaken, but I think that the Bible Outline that appears at the top the Browse Window may provide what you are looking for.

At the far right of the Bible Outline is a drop-down arrow button. Click on this arrow button, and select "parashot". This loads the Parashot outline into the Bible Outline. When you change verses, the outline will display the parashot section for that passage of Scripture.

Yes, Glenn, something like that is what I was seeking. Thanks so much! I am amazed at what is built into BW8. Looks like one could also create a similar outline for the triennial Siderim.

Tim

ISalzman
04-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Wow, that is astounding! It's even got the Haftarot (corresponding readings from the Prophets [Nevi'im]). Thanks for the tip, Glenn! By the way, any idea what the a83-outline is? It's in the same dropdown menu.

Glenn Weaver
04-26-2010, 10:32 AM
The a83 outline is from the a83 Afrikaans 1983 version. When I create outline files from Bible versions, I put the 3-letter version id code as the beginning of the outline file name.

It is possible to create new outlines. The Help file gives instructions how to do this.

ISalzman
04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
The a83 outline is from the a83 Afrikaans 1983 version. When I create outline files from Bible versions, I put the 3-letter version id code as the beginning of the outline file name.

It is possible to create new outlines. The Help file gives instructions how to do this.

Thanks again, Glenn!

Irving

Joshua Luna
04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes, Glenn, something like that is what I was seeking. Thanks so much! I am amazed at what is built into BW8. Looks like one could also create a similar outline for the triennial Siderim.

Tim

Hello Tim,

The BW staff was kind enough to allow user editable outlines quite a few years ago. With Mike's help I was able to add the Parashot. Metzger's outline is pretty handy as well. Very convenient tools!

Just another example of how BW is very responsive to their customers where possible. :)