PDA

View Full Version : How to add a signature to thread postings?

CapnKirk
04-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I see no place for discussion about the forum software, so I'll just post my question here:

I often see "signatures" added to the end of thread postings. In my account "General settings" there's an option to add my signature to my posts. But I can't find a place to actually write the signature. I've been through all the profile and settings pages.

Where is it?

Kirk
<whose signature would be here if he could figure out where to do it>

Michael Hanel
04-18-2010, 02:40 PM
If I go to "Settings" (on the top right of this page), the next page has a link "Edit Signature" under "My Profile" on the left side. If you don't see that in your set-up then I'm not sure what to say.

CapnKirk
04-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi, Michael!

No, under "My Profile" is "Edit Profile" and then "Edit Avatar". No "Edit signature." :(

I wonder if they've changed the forum options? I'm using Firefox, if that might make a difference...

Thanks for responding!

Kirk
<no sig>

Michael Hanel
04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi, Michael!

No, under "My Profile" is "Edit Profile" and then "Edit Avatar". No "Edit signature." :(

I wonder if they've changed the forum options? I'm using Firefox, if that might make a difference...

Thanks for responding!

Kirk
<no sig>

Firefox shouldn't matter. It is possible that only "Senior Members" can have signatures? (I forget the rule, but it might be that 25 posts makes one a "Senior Member"?). I do know that when spambots have come here in the past they usually have their links in the signature, so this may have been tweaked to prevent spambots from spamming, but that is only a guess.

Sansom48
04-18-2010, 05:46 PM
If that is a rule, then it must be a new one, like you said, maybe for spam bots. I have had a signature for as long as I can remember and I just became a "Senior Member" when I posted my 100th post. However, I know that I had one when I was a junior member.

Michael Hanel
04-18-2010, 06:22 PM
If that is a rule, then it must be a new one, like you said, maybe for spam bots. I have had a signature for as long as I can remember and I just became a "Senior Member" when I posted my 100th post. However, I know that I had one when I was a junior member.

The change seems to have come with the update to the forum software. The only question is whether this change is default setting that hasn't been changed or a deliberate decision by the administrator. Maybe someone in the know will pop in during the work-week.

ISalzman
04-18-2010, 09:34 PM
The change seems to have come with the update to the forum software. The only question is whether this change is default setting that hasn't been changed or a deliberate decision by the administrator. Maybe someone in the know will pop in during the work-week.

The ability to edit your signature is still there in the new Forum software. You need to click on 'Settings' at the top right of any Forum page. I assume to edit, you'll need to be logged in. But you go in to the Signature via "Settings." Merely being on your Profile page is not enough.

Michael Hanel
04-18-2010, 09:38 PM
The ability to edit your signature is still there in the new Forum software. You need to click on 'Settings' at the top right of any Forum page. I assume to edit, you'll need to be logged in. But you go in to the Signature via "Settings." Merely being on your Profile page is not enough.

Irving, it is there for you and me, but CapnKirk seems to say that it's not there for him. I trust he did it correctly because he said other options were available, but not the Edit Signature one. That's what led me to hypothesize why it would be there for me, but not him.

ISalzman
04-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Irving, it is there for you and me, but CapnKirk seems to say that it's not there for him. I trust he did it correctly because he said other options were available, but not the Edit Signature one. That's what led me to hypothesize why it would be there for me, but not him.

Hey Michael, sorry if I misunderstood you. I assume if CapnKirk were Spock, he could always edit his settings via the old Vulcan Mind Mell! :)

CapnKirk
04-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Hi, guys!

Yep, logged in, click "Settings" at the top, and no "Edit Signature" on the left sidebar. I think you're right: if you have the ability to edit the signature, then it must be a user-by-user setting; although I imagine there is a default for the entire forum.

Could an administrator weigh in here?

Kirk
<My mind to your mind,
My thoughts to your thoughts...>

MTan
04-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi Guys,

Because of hit-and-run spammers, we have changed it so that you can't add a signature until you have 30 posts and have been registered 30 days. After that, you can add your own signature. Spammers have really ruined a lot of the personalization features on the forum. We've had to disable several nice, harmless features to keep spam down.

Michael

CapnKirk
04-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Okay, that makes sense; you might want to put that info somewhere so that folks know. Although, I had searched through the forums for info about this and found nothing. So it obviously doesn't come up very often...

Thanks!

Kirk

Precha1
04-20-2010, 06:19 PM

Well, I guess I now join the ranks of "Senior Member." Are there any rights and priviledges associated with this distinction? lol

Michael Hanel
04-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Well, I guess I now join the ranks of "Senior Member." Are there any rights and priviledges associated with this distinction? lol

It used to be that as a Senior Memer you could use an avatar image to go with your name, but maybe that is open to other users as well now. I never got into that because I don't know what image really would want to be associated with me.

Adelphos
04-20-2010, 08:26 PM
For those of you with less than 30 posts, I'll be happy to sell you some of mine.

Current price is $10 a post with a minimum five post purchase. I also have a package deal going at the moment, which is twenty-five posts for $235.00. That's a savings of $15.00 off the regular price.

Just click on the link in MY signature (ha, ha), and it will take you to the ordering instructions.

ISalzman
04-20-2010, 10:40 PM

You can now be forgiven for any senior moments. How's that for bells and whistles?

calvary
04-24-2010, 09:14 PM
For those of you with less than 30 posts, I'll be happy to sell you some of mine.

Current price is $10 a post with a minimum five post purchase. I also have a package deal going at the moment, which is twenty-five posts for $235.00. That's a savings of $15.00 off the regular price.

Just click on the link in MY signature (ha, ha), and it will take you to the ordering instructions.

:D Good one!!!!!!!

jthomp
08-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Guys,

Because of hit-and-run spammers, we have changed it so that you can't add a signature until you have 30 posts and have been registered 30 days. After that, you can add your own signature. Spammers have really ruined a lot of the personalization features on the forum. We've had to disable several nice, harmless features to keep spam down.

Michael

Wow! I just looked, I only have 17 posts, my join date is 7/30/2007. I thought I had significantly more posts than 17! :confused:

Guess I've been spending most of my time reading rather than posting... Oh well, not counting this one 12, more posts to go! :D

revaaron
12-06-2011, 10:47 AM
I remember creating a signature when I joined the forums a few years back. I have not posted a whole lot, but my signature is no longer attached to my replies. Maybe I need to be active more often in the forums as well!