PDA

View Full Version : Finding verbs that are in the wav consecutive form

Pastor Joel
03-31-2010, 08:58 PM
I am working on a new sermon series in the book of 1 Samuel and I would like to be able to do a search that only finds the verbs in a given pericope that are fronted with a wav consecutive. For example if I were looking at the pericope of 1 Sam 1:1-20 I would like to do a search that identifies only those imperfect and perfect verbs that are in the wav consecutive. Thank you in advance.

Joel

Glenn Weaver
04-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi Joel,

Here is how to search for all the perfect and imperfect vav consecutive verbs in 1 Samuel:

First, set your search version to WTM by entering WTM on the Command Line, and then pressing Enter on your keyboard.

Set your search limit to 1 Samual by entering the letter 'l', a space, and the book name abbreviation '1Sa' on the Command Line, then pressing Enter on your keyboard. (When you are finished searching only 1Sa, type the letter 'l' and press Enter to clear the search limits.)

To find all the vav consecutive perfect and imperfect verbs, type the following on the Command Line:
.*@v?{wq}*

You will have to press the Esc key on your keyboard to close the popup morph helper to enter some of these items. The letter 'w' stands for the vav consecutive imperfect, and the letter 'q' stands for the vav consecutive perfect.

The reason why the popup morph helper won't allow you to enter these codes is that the tense slot includes items that have different types of following codes. For example, the infinitives have different following codes than do the perfect verbs or the participles. That is why you have to close the popup morph helper and enter the codes manually. The braces tell the search engine that both of these codes are in the same category.

If you want to search for one of these verb forms at a time, then you can use the popup morph helper. For example, to search for only the vav consecutive perfect verbs, use this search:
.*@v?q*

Pastor Joel
04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Glenn,
Thank you so much for your help!

Joel