PDA

View Full Version : Greek materials

jthomp
03-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Anybody using Zerwick's Biblical Greek? If so, would you comment on your appreciation of it? OR there other modules you are using and find helpful from the BibleWorks inventory. Thanks!

Mark Eddy
03-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Since no one else has chimed in, I'll make a few comments. I use Zerwick rarely, probably because I check Greek grammars only when I have a question, and then I access them from the Resources Summary tab. Zerwick does not appear there as often as, e.g. Robertson's, Wallace, or BDF. Wallace is the newest, so he always is worth consulting. Roberson is the most indepth, and the most likely to show up in the Resources Summary, because he has so many biblical references. BDF has plenty of references, but scant explanations of them. I have always learned more from Robertson than from BDF. But some might find Robertson wordy. Since Zerwick has fewer biblical references, and I use it a lot less, I really haven't figured out its strengths and weaknesses yet. I used Robertson and BDF in printed editions long before I got BibleWorks, which may also account for my proclivity to use them before Zerwick.
Just a few thoughts.
Mark Eddy

brethicks
03-28-2010, 02:36 PM
I have Zerwick's rammar, but only in print. To be honest, I mainly purchased it to use with Zerwick's 'A Grammatical Analysis of the NT' (which is a nice book to have for a companion when you are reading for quiet times and such. It references his grammar a lot, so I bought it. To be honest the grammar is fine, but it is very thin. If you have Wallace, Robertson or BDF (I own all three), there is no need for Zerwick in particular, since it is so much briefer than the others. It is good, but the others give more references and more in depth discussion IMO. Hope that helps.

In Christ,

Bret

Kimba
03-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Since Zerwick's Biblical Greek is only $15.00 it is worth the module for the following reason:
The book is a pain using it and looking things up, while in Bibleworks, that work is done for you.

As with all books sometimes you find something good and unique among the others in the same subject while many times large portions of the materials overlap. Unfortunately you find this the hard way, by day to day comparisons.

Since my purchase of the Bibleworks module my printed copy is shelved in the basement and rarely seen.

jthomp
03-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks all! I appreciate the comments!

Michael Hanel
03-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Generally if you find value in your print editions of these materials, you'll find more value in the BibleWorks editions of them. But if you're asking whether the resources themselves are worthwhile (i.e. is Robertson a good grammar, is Zerwick better? etc.), you'll likely find a lot of debate.