PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks Search Exercise

MGVH
03-17-2010, 01:07 AM
What happened to Jesus after he was crucified and buried? He ______ from the dead! What words might you put in that blank? Rose? Was raised? Is risen? What Greek word(s) are behind our English wordings? How will you determine this? There are a number of possible ways to do so...

I've put together a worksheet that gives you six ways of answering this question in BW. It includes some basic search guidelines as well as a way to do it using the Graphical Search Engine, Verse List Manager, etc. More info and the link to the worksheet is on my blog, Biblical Studies and Technological Tools (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2010/03/bibleworks-search-exercise.html).

haydnguy
03-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Mark, I just wanted to thank you for posting this on your blog. It was very useful to me. I have your blog bookmarked on my RSS bar and enjoy it very much.

Bob

MGVH
03-20-2010, 12:45 AM
I just changed one of the approaches on the exercise. I had suggested running a search, then, in order to search among those results to right click on the command line and use the "Checkbox Search Filter" to just search on those results. Sometimes that would work instantly... but most times it indicates in the lower left that is "Merging Word List..." and just sits there and does nothing. You can 'unfreeze' it simply by entering another command.

Here is a better way that appears to work consistently. After running the first search, right click somewhere in the search results window and choose "Make Search Results New Search Limits" at the bottom of the popup dialog. (Note: the first green box does not immediately turn yellow as you would expect when a limit has been applied, but you can see at the bottom of the window that your Limits are now: cl-results.vls.) Now run your second search and things go perfectly.

Lee
07-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Mark, thank you for taking the time to put this together. I just went through it, and found it very helpful.

ISalzman
07-28-2010, 02:35 PM
I just changed one of the approaches on the exercise. I had suggested running a search, then, in order to search among those results to right click on the command line and use the "Checkbox Search Filter" to just search on those results. Sometimes that would work instantly... but most times it indicates in the lower left that is "Merging Word List..." and just sits there and does nothing. You can 'unfreeze' it simply by entering another command.

Here is a better way that appears to work consistently. After running the first search, right click somewhere in the search results window and choose "Make Search Results New Search Limits" at the bottom of the popup dialog. (Note: the first green box does not immediately turn yellow as you would expect when a limit has been applied, but you can see at the bottom of the window that your Limits are now: cl-results.vls.) Now run your second search and things go perfectly.

Hi Mark. Is your change indicated in the pdf?

MGVH
07-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Yes, the PDF was updated. See solution 2c for how it works and looks.

ISalzman
07-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Mark.