PDA

View Full Version : ANET and "The Context of Scripture"

Joshua Luna
03-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Just a question for those who have read both, does the newer 3 volume series, "The Context of Scripture" cover all the texts of ANET? Contexts is quite expensive (to say the least) but ANET isn't cheap either. I would hate to have to get both. ANE creation and flood texts are of interest (as well as texts paralleling the Israelite Commonwealth) so I would hate to pay extra for Contexts and find, for example, it lacks some of the texts from ANET.

Adelphos
03-12-2010, 07:15 PM
I don't have The Context Of Scripture, but I do have ANET and its companion volume, ANE In Pictures. I have gone through a lot of references and deduced Bible verses for them, and of course I put those in VLM files, which I use with my own BOSS program a lot.

Having said that, if it comes down to one or the other, I would personally go with the new The Context Of Scripture based on the description I read about it from Amazon. It seems that they have done what I've been doing by hand, i.e., indexing Bible verses to the various translations, and there appear to be many other helps and advantages as well.

I'm curious, since you brought this up and have therefore probably researched it some, what is the best price you've found for the three volume set of The Context Of Scritpure?

Sansom48
03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
to be honest I am unfamiliar with both of these, I have looked them up on Amazon, could you tell me if I am looking at the correct text.

Context of Scripture (http://www.amazon.com/Context-Scripture-Compositions-Monumental-Inscriptions/dp/9004131051/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268447717&sr=8-1)

ANET (http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Eastern-Relating-Testament-Supplement/dp/0691035032/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268447857&sr=8-1)

Adelphos
03-12-2010, 11:15 PM
to be honest I am unfamiliar with both of these, I have looked them up on Amazon, could you tell me if I am looking at the correct text.

The link for ANET is correct, and the other link is only Vol 3 of Context.

Sansom48
03-12-2010, 11:49 PM
good, I only wanted to make sure that I was looking up the correct books.

Joshua Luna
03-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Scott, the "other guys" have he digital version for about $300 and ANET for $80. Contexts is very, very expensive but it seems they have put a good deal of thought into it. For those of us studying the religious and historical context of ancient Israel it sounds like a well composed work for reference.

Adelphos
03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Based on this statement from a customer review at Amazon, it looks like you need both sets if you really want to have all of the bases covered --

This 3-book series is an extensive update of the classic Pritchard ANET (ancient near-eastern texts). Though some of the texts are shortened from Pritchard's volume, the new texts, number of texts, and more up to date translations and notes more than make this book worthwhile... if you can afford it :-) Otherwise, the 2 Pritchard paperbacks are quite reasonable.

Since I already have ANET, I might scrounge around one of these days and try to acquire the whole set, but not in electronic form. For tomes such as this, I prefer the printed editions.

benelchi
03-15-2010, 08:50 PM
The link for ANET is correct, and the other link is only Vol 3 of Context.

The description says that it is all three volumes (in paperback), and list the titles of each volume. However, the link to the Hard Cover edition on the page describing the three volume set links only to the first volume. Here is the description on the page describing the paperback set:

The Context of Scripture: Canonical Compositions, Monumental Inscriptions and Archival Documents from the Biblical World, 3 Vol Set

Maybe you did like I did, and noticed the Hardcover edition was cheaper, and followed the link.

Ben Spackman
03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
I've had both ANET and COS, which was kind of a necessity at the time, since my program was ANE/Semitics. The "other guys" do have an academic discount on these, if you're at a school they have an agreement with.

They overlap, but not completely. COS has more extensive notes and Bible cross-references, and is more up-to-date, of course.

Joshua Luna
03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
I've had both ANET and COS, which was kind of a necessity at the time, since my program was ANE/Semitics. The "other guys" do have an academic discount on these, if you're at a school they have an agreement with.

They overlap, but not completely. COS has more extensive notes and Bible cross-references, and is more up-to-date, of course.

Ben, if you get an opportunity, does COS omitt any creation and flood accounts in ANET or does it provide complete overlap + additional sources in these areas?

jdarlack
03-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Peter Kirby has put together a COS/ANET index that might be helpful for the sake of evaluating what texts are present/absent in each work:

http://www.bombaxo.com/cosanet.html

He lists parallels between the two, but he also lists the works in each that are not present in the other.

Jim

Adelphos
03-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Peter Kirby has put together a COS/ANET index that might be helpful for the sake of evaluating what texts are present/absent in each work:

http://www.bombaxo.com/cosanet.html

He lists parallels between the two, but he also lists the works in each that are not present in the other.

Jim

That is a GREAT help. It sure settles the question as well, i.e., that if you really want comprehensive coverage, you have to have both.

Joshua Luna
03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Wow, thanks. My wallet very much dislikes this thread :(