PDA

View Full Version : The Strange Intervening Dot in "Bethlehem"

Yaku Lee
03-11-2010, 08:59 AM
What is this stange little dot between בֵּית and לָחֶם for Bethelehem or בֵּית לָחֶם? Obviously it cannot be copied and that’s why it doesn’t appear here although it is there as can be verified in WTT Gen 35:19. But the lemma description in the Analysis Window doesn’t show the dot and says it’s a proper noun.

WTM doesn’t treat the item as “house of bread” but as a single proper noun Bethlehem as can be seen in the following copy of WTM listing:

@np--n+SxxxExHxNx+Ua/Ae+Rxבֵּית לֶחֶם

without the mysterious dot showing here again, but it is there in the real WTM listing. Apparently the proper noun cannot be entered on the CL without the dot, and I don’t know how to enter it.

However, WTT treats them as two different words and it allows a phrase search of the two words for Bethlehem. Apparently WTT and WTM are not consistent in the treatment of Bethlehem.

Stranger still, the mysterious dot is replaced by a Maqqef in 1Sa 17:15, for example.

Furthermore, Strong’s Abridged BDB has this mysterious dot for “Jehovahnissi” (Exo 17:15), for example, but WTT does not.

I would appreciate a clarification on this messy matter.

Thank you.

ISalzman
03-11-2010, 12:21 PM
What is this stange little dot between בֵּית and לָחֶם for Bethelehem or בֵּית לָחֶם? Obviously it cannot be copied and that’s why it doesn’t appear here although it is there as can be verified in WTT Gen 35:19. But the lemma description in the Analysis Window doesn’t show the dot and says it’s a proper noun.

WTM doesn’t treat the item as “house of bread” but as a single proper noun Bethlehem as can be seen in the following copy of WTM listing:

@np--n+SxxxExHxNx+Ua/Ae+Rxבֵּית לֶחֶם

without the mysterious dot showing here again, but it is there in the real WTM listing. Apparently the proper noun cannot be entered on the CL without the dot, and I don’t know how to enter it.

However, WTT treats them as two different words and it allows a phrase search of the two words for Bethlehem. Apparently WTT and WTM are not consistent in the treatment of Bethlehem.

Stranger still, the mysterious dot is replaced by a Maqqef in 1Sa 17:15, for example.

Furthermore, Strong’s Abridged BDB has this mysterious dot for “Jehovahnissi” (Exo 17:15), for example, but WTT does not.

I would appreciate a clarification on this messy matter.

Thank you.

Hi Yaku. I have verified what you've said. For whatever reason 'Beth Lehem' does not seem to be searchable from the Command Line. But if you go to a verse in which the word occurs and you highlight the term in the Browse Window, right click and choose 'Search for Phrase,' it will return all places where the dot and maqqeph both occur. Small comfort I know. It ought to be searchable from the Command Line, but it doesn't seem to be.

MBushell
03-11-2010, 12:50 PM
What is this stange little dot between בֵּית andלָחֶםfor Bethelehem or בֵּית לָחֶם?

The dot is a visual indicator only and is not searchable in the WTT. When you see it in the browse window WTT text it just tells you that WTM considers the two words as a single word for analysis purposes. The dot is tripped out when you copy the text. I would rather that the WTM not lemmatize multiple words as a single word, but that is what they did.
Mike

Yaku Lee
03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for your responses.

But how do you search for "Bethlehem" and any similar proper noun in WTM?

MBushell
03-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for your responses.

But how do you search for "Bethlehem" and any similar proper noun in WTM?
In WTM the dot is required because it is a part of the database (in WTT it is not). It is ASCII 131. You can enter it via the Windows charmap utility. Or double click on the word in WTM. That will copy it to the command line.
Mike

Yaku Lee
03-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Oh yes, double clicking on the WTM word did the trick fine. I also noticed that by right-clicking on the WTT word and choosing "Search on Lemma" from the dropdown dispaly did the same trick.

But I would prefer to enter the search item on CL by hand. Would you kindly show how to use the Windows charmap unitility to enter ASCII 131?

Thank you very much.

Adelphos
03-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Would you kindly show how to use the Windows charmap unitility to enter ASCII 131?

Charmap is an MS Windows application. It is called charmap.exe and is normally found in your Windows\System32 Folder. If you don't find it there, then it is either in your Windows\System Folder, or perhaps just the plain Windows Folder.

Once you have launched charmap and chosen the symbol you want, copy it to the clipboard, then place your curson on the BW CL in the spot you want to insert it and paste it in.

Yaku Lee
03-12-2010, 05:32 AM
Through the Windows search mechanism, I could easily locate “charmap.exe.” It is in the Windows\system32 folder in my case. Well, I find that it is just a “character map” or a “character table” from which you can pick a character of your choice, but it is not an ASCII character generator.

So I did some searching through Windows Help, and found what I wanted. And it turned out to be a very simple solution.

Leave the cursor where you want the ASCII character to be inserted, and with the Alt key depressed, depress ASCII code numbers in sequence on the numeric keypad--"1, 3, 1" for WTM compound proper noun -- then release the Alt key. That does it, and it works perfectly on my Windows SP for BW8.

Thanks for all your help. You induced me to look for the solution in the right direction.

Thank you all again.