PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

ISalzman
03-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Is it just my system or did BW just implement a new interface to these forums? Not that anybody is soliciting my opinion, but I'm not crazy about this new look. Bring back the Old.

Michael Hanel
03-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Is it just my system or did BW just implement a new interface to these forums? Not that anybody is soliciting my opinion, but I'm not crazy about this new look. Bring back the Old.

Against change? Never! I imagine it's something that BW has little control over. vBulletin is the software that they're using for the forums here and it looks like one of the upgrades to vBulletin has changed things up a bit. If the upgrade is better able to eliminate spam-posts, than more power to them! If not, well it's just something different to look at. I can't remember how many times the "look" of this forum has changed since it's been on vBulletin, but this is not the first time. In other words, change is inevitable :)

Out of curiosity though, other than change, what don't you like about it?

ISalzman
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Against change? Never! I imagine it's something that BW has little control over. vBulletin is the software that they're using for the forums here and it looks like one of the upgrades to vBulletin has changed things up a bit. If the upgrade is better able to eliminate spam-posts, than more power to them! If not, well it's just something different to look at. I can't remember how many times the "look" of this forum has changed since it's been on vBulletin, but this is not the first time. In other words, change is inevitable :)

Out of curiosity though, other than change, what don't you like about it?

Well, excellent question. I suppose all of us are, to a degree, resistant to change. We get comfortable and settled in our old patterns. We get used to doing things in a certain way. So, to be sure, there's a degree to which my expressed reservations are related to change. But, in answer to your question, I think that, to the eye, things are not as nicely laid out as before. It is harder to find things. The visual appeal to the eye is not as nice or easy as it was before.

So you think we'll have to settle for change when we get to heaven?

Michael Hanel
03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Well, excellent question. I suppose all of us are, to a degree, resistant to change. We get comfortable and settled in our old patterns. We get used to doing things in a certain way. So, to be sure, there's a degree to which my expressed reservations are related to change. But, in answer to your question, I think that, to the eye, things are not as nicely laid out as before. It is harder to find things. The visual appeal to the eye is not as nice or easy as it was before.

So you think we'll have to settle for change when we get to heaven?

That's funny your criticism is related to the eyes, when I figured the new layout would be more eye-pleasing! So much for objectivity :) As for change, I take great hope in James 1:17 or maybe Numbers 23:19, but I'm afraid he still has some work to do in me. So yes, I hope there is change -- at least on my end!

And now see here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?4452-New-forum-software-version) for a word from one of our fearless leaders.

MBushell
03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
We actually have no control over it. We have to keep the forum software current to avoid security and compatibility problems. The latest update made some UI changes. I actually like them, but our experience has been that no matter what we do some people will love it and some people will hate it. Michael Tan will do some tweaking on the new iinterface but change is a part of life.
Mike

Precha1
03-06-2010, 07:20 PM
The new look is definitely a surprise to me. I just recently upgraded to Windows 7 ultimate and thought it had something to do with that.

So far so good.

FredGreco
03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Perhaps a possible solution would be to load up a few different themes. There are at least 4-5 that require very little or no modifications.

Michael Hanel
03-08-2010, 04:42 PM
i like this new one coz i am new here lol

Well there goes my theory that newer version would block out spam.

Adelphos
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Well there goes my theory that newer version would block out spam.

It would be nice if there was a way for the BW folks to give one or two regulars here the ability to delete the spams.

Michael Hanel
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
It would be nice if there was a way for the BW folks to give one or two regulars here the ability to delete the spams.

I've thought of that, but I know if I had the power I might accidentally delete spam that others thought was worthwhile. Some people have much more patience for such things than I do.

Adelphos
03-08-2010, 05:47 PM
I've thought of that, but I know if I had the power I might accidentally delete spam that others thought was worthwhile. Some people have much more patience for such things than I do.

Big deal. The only patience that matters is yours and mine, so I say, let's do it!!! :mad:

Michael Hanel
03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Big deal. The only patience that matters is yours and mine, so I say, let's do it!!! :mad:

Oh you say that now. Just wait until I would start deleting your messages :p

bobvenem
03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Seriously, I'm finding this UI hard to read. I don't know if it's the typeface or the size, but it's a bit straining.

Michael Hanel
03-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Seriously, I'm finding this UI hard to read. I don't know if it's the typeface or the size, but it's a bit straining.

At the bottom of the forums there is a pull-down to change styles. Right now the only option is "vB4 default style" One wonders whether we'll be able to edit that and customize it better in the future. It does look like there is still probably some editing the BW staff has to do on their end (such as whether they can make the old BWfonts available in the Editor here or not).

Glenn Weaver
03-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi Folks,

Perhaps Michael Tan will be able to add some more configuration options to the forum layout once he is satisfied that the forum is stable. He has a lot of things going on, so perhaps it will take a little time.

We try to watch the forums to see when spammers attach. Then we delete the forum posts. I try to review the forum Mon - Fri, and generally catch any spam that enters the forum. I'm not perfect at it (and am currently out of the office on an extended leave), but we try to catch them all.

I haven't deleted any of Scott's messages yet. :->

Blessings,

Adelphos
03-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Well now, that's encouraging! :mad:

Somebody could really do the world a service if they could write a program that would automatically back-track a spammer's email address and then, instead of actually receiving the spammer's message, replicate a thousand copies of it and send it back to the spammer himself.

If they could accurately back-track the spammer's original email and ip, now that would be a great program indeed.

Michael Hanel
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi Folks,

Perhaps Michael Tan will be able to add some more configuration options to the forum layout once he is satisfied that the forum is stable. He has a lot of things going on, so perhaps it will take a little time.

We try to watch the forums to see when spammers attach. Then we delete the forum posts. I try to review the forum Mon - Fri, and generally catch any spam that enters the forum. I'm not perfect at it (and am currently out of the office on an extended leave), but we try to catch them all.

Blessings,

There isn't any option for "reporting" posts as spam is there? That'd make it easier so you wouldn't have to hunt for them. You missed a few spam messages by a user named "yypl1986"

FredGreco
03-09-2010, 04:04 PM
There is a report function. If this forum works like another vBulletin forum I help administrate, it shows up in a Admin only forum and alerts them.

Trying to attach a screenshot now.

Michael Hanel
03-09-2010, 04:47 PM
There is a report function. If this forum works like another vBulletin forum I help administrate, it shows up in a Admin only forum and alerts them.

Trying to attach a screenshot now.

Genius! Thanks for that alert. I hadn't noticed it!

Though you can only report one post per 60 seconds. So I can't get too carried away :)

ISalzman
03-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Genius! Thanks for that alert. I hadn't noticed it!

Though you can only report one post per 60 seconds. So I can't get too carried away :)

I guess we'll have to ask the spammers to slow down so that you can keep up with them at the rate of one post per minute. :)

ISalzman
03-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Talking about the changes to the Forums again, when creating a message, one used to be able to choose Greek and Hebrew fonts from the drop down menu. These are no longer available. Any plans to reintroduce them?

Eutychus
03-10-2010, 08:29 AM
I like this new look and I think I will like it better when my old eyes adjust. :)