PDA

View Full Version : Halot

Y2K2
02-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Peace to you all,

Years ago I purchased HALOT (as a stand-alone product, not part of a bible software package). Now that I've purchased BW8 I would like BW8 to "recognize" it so that I can make use of it within BibleWorks.

Is this possible?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Joshua Luna
02-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Edit: Misread, I thought you said you bought the HALOT modules and upgraded to 8, not that you had a standalone HALOT package that is non-BW. BW does include an external links program, so you may want to look at that.

Soxfan23
02-21-2010, 05:29 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, this is not possible. You can't just tell a Bible software company that you have a stand-alone HALOT and expect them to take your word or it would be abused too much. Your only options are to sell what you have and purchase HALOT for the BW platform or make due with what you have. Perhaps there's a way to set up some type of right-click feature that enables it to link to your stand-alone HALOT, but I wouldn't know how. I know many of the guys do this for Logos modules they have (e.g. apparati).

I know some software companies have worked something out with a few publishers that allow for what they call "cross-grades," which is basically paying a minimal fee to purchase something on their platform since you've already purchased it for the full price on another platform. For instance, there may be many here who had Logos first and bought BDAG & HALOT but then decided to switch to BW since it is superior for exegetical studies. The "cross-grade" would then allow you to pay like $30 or so to unlock the module on the other platform. Bibleworks doesn't do this yet, but it would be nice to see them incorporate this somehow.

ISalzman
02-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Peace to you all,

Years ago I purchased HALOT (as a stand-alone product, not part of a bible software package). Now that I've purchased BW8 I would like BW8 to "recognize" it so that I can make use of it within BibleWorks.

Is this possible?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Did you ever register your copy of HALOT? Or did you purchase it directly from BibleWorks? If yes to either of the above, just call customer service and they'll be able to help you.

Mark Eddy
02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
I think we are confused about how HALOT was purchased. It was obviously not purchased from BW, since it was not purchased in a "Bible software package." That would mean also that it was not purchased as part of brand X. It would be news to me if HALOT sold a digital version "years ago" without its being part of another software package. I had just bought a printed edition of Koehler-Baumgartner's 2nd edition when BW offered the 3rd edition (HALOT) in electronic format. So I don't know how Y2K2 could own anything other than a printed copy of HALOT.
But if Y2K2 indeed bought it in an electronic version, he would have to set up an external link to it. Open the "External Links Manager" and fill out all the necessary path information.
But to reiterate what the others have said, you cannot use your version within Bibleworks. At best it can be linked to BibleWorks. But BibleWorks will not read your version. Currently the publishers are content to sell us multiple copies of their works if we want to read them in different formats. BW has no control over this.
Mark Eddy

ISalzman
02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I think that Y2K2 may mean that he purchased HALOT as an add-on module and not as part of a base package. Of course, HALOT is, in any case, not available in the BW base package. It must always be purchased as an add-on module. I think we would clear all this up if Y2K2 would answer this question: From whom did you purchase HALOT? If you purchased it from BW, my guess is that you should be able to upgrade your license.

Dale A. Brueggemann
02-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Peace to you all,

Years ago I purchased HALOT (as a stand-alone product, not part of a bible software package).

If you meant, "I purchased HALOT as a stand-alone product in print," there is no way Bible Works would recognize that for licensing its BW electronic version.
If you meant, "I purchased HALOT as an electronic stand-alone product," not a part of any other software, the answer would be no.
If you meant, "I purchased HALOT as an individual add-on to some other Bible software, the answer would be no, but you might be able to link to it using the BW external links/
If you meant, "I purchased HALOT as an individual add-on to an earlier version BW itself, then of course you can authenticate and use it in a newer version of BW

I think that covers the options.

ISalzman
02-23-2010, 06:03 PM
If you meant, "I purchased HALOT as a stand-alone product in print," there is no way Bible Works would recognize that for licensing its BW electronic version.
If you meant, "I purchased HALOT as an electronic stand-alone product," not a part of any other software, the answer would be no.
If you meant, "I purchased HALOT as an individual add-on to some other Bible software, the answer would be no, but you might be able to link to it using the BW external links/
If you meant, "I purchased HALOT as an individual add-on to an earlier version BW itself, then of course you can authenticate and use it in a newer version of BW

I think that covers the options.

Dale, you are to be commended for your thoroughness!

Dan Phillips
02-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Wow, Brueggemann... now we know what it'd be like if C. E. B. Cranfield responded to one of these questions!

(c;