PDA

View Full Version : Negation of Case Sensitivity in GSE

Yaku Lee
02-15-2010, 04:21 AM
This is a question on GSE search with the negation of a case sensitive word with BW8. The construction of the GSE is as follows:

(1) Top Node: a merge box {AND (WTM)}
(2) A Daughter Node: a word box {אל@ncms* WTM}
(3) Another Daughter Node: a merge box {AND [subquery] (NAU)}
(4) A Daughter Node to (3): a word box {NOT God* NAU}, where NOT has black background in white.
For the last word box, “Invert results” and “Case sensitive” boxes are checked.

A run of this GSE gives a list of only five verses: Gen 33:20, Deu 38:32, Neh 5:5, Pro 3:27, Mic 2:1.

Shouldn’t it also give: Deu 3:24, 32:12, Psa 81:10, Isa 44:10,15,17, 45:20, 46:6, Mal 2:11? (Deu 3:24 has “GOD” and “god” but not “God.”)

It appears that “Invert results (NOT)” ignores case sensitivity; it gives the same results for “god*” and “God*” when both “Case sensitive” box and “Invert results (NOT)” box are checked at the same time.

Do you have the same “erroneous” results as I do? Or is something wrong with my expectation?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: The original GSE is attached--finally.

Ruben Gomez
02-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Hi Yaku,

I think what you want is an OR search, one allowing "god*" and another one not allowing "God*". Please see the attached qf file and see if this is what you are after.

Also, notice that it is easier to upload your query than to explain all the steps.

PS. If I am not mistaken, one should be able to simplify this query by using an inclusion/exclusion list (containing +god* and -God*), but when I tried it it didn't work for me.

Yaku Lee
02-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Hi Ruben,

Thank you for your response, Ruben.

Your suggested GSE looks for, in effect, all the verses with “AL” and case sensitive “god*” and also all the verses with “AL” and NOT “god*” regardless of the case of “g.” Changing “God*” to “god*” in your GSE doesn’t affect the search result, as shown in my attachment (if I am successful in attaching my file). In fact, you can remove case sensitivity from the word box in question with the same result. One complication with your GSE, though, is that it counts the hits twice.

So I think my original question remains. Does the negation of case sensitivity in GSE work? Or can we expect it to work?

Your response is appreciated.

PS: .qf file is attached--at last.

Ruben Gomez
02-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Yaku,

It would seem that case sensitivity does not work with NOT word boxes, but I will let the folks at BW answer that for sure.

The point of my GSE query is that since you require the use of "god" in the first subquery and prevent the presence of any form of "god" in the second, no occurrence of "God", with a capital G, will show up in the search results. This is, after all, what I thought you were trying to find.

I'm not sure what you mean by "One complication with your GSE, though, is that it counts the hits twice." Isn't the number of verses what matters in this instance?

Best,

Yaku Lee
02-16-2010, 07:04 AM
You are right, Ruben, that in this particular case the number of hits is not important. There are only 25 verses to check out. But I was thinking in terms of what we should expect from a GSE search in principle, i.e. a factual number of verses and a factual number of hits.

Really appreciate your interest in this matter.