PDA

View Full Version : Any Canucks Out There?

Adelphos
02-12-2010, 09:13 PM
The summer olympics is my favorite all-time event; the winter olympics is my second favorite.

So let's get the ball rolling...

I'll bet the Americanos beat the Canucks in the men and women's downhill. Any takers?

I ain't betting on the hockey, though. I think the Canucks might have that one iced. :cool:

ISalzman
02-12-2010, 11:28 PM
The summer olympics is my favorite all-time event; the winter olympics is my second favorite.

So let's get the ball rolling...

I'll bet the Americanos beat the Canucks in the men and women's downhill. Any takers?

I ain't betting on the hockey, though. I think the Canucks might have that one iced. :cool:

The hockey should be a great, great tournament though. The difference separating the top six or seven hockey nations is not all that large any more. The thing about the Olympic tournament is that anything can happen in a one game encounter. The loser goes home. You don't have the luxury of a seven game playoff series. The team with the most talent on paper doesn't always win. In this type of a tournament (single game eliminations), other factors can sometimes enter in (who's got the hot goaltender; which team comes together quickest; which team remains healthy; which country buys best into the team concept and game; etc.).

Going into this tournament, Canada and Russia are the favorites. Russia has a very potent attack and offense. Their defense is suspect however. Canada also has a pretty good offense. But they have a better defensive corps than Russia. But Sweden and the United States cannot be counted out. The US has good team speed and goaling. On the downside, they are very youthful and inexperienced. But this should be a great tournament. I'd say the top six or seven nations all have at least an outside shot of winning a medal, if not a gold medal. And there are so many great players that come from the different countries today. Should be a fun tourney to watch. You're not going to see better hockey than this. I am a hockey fanatic to begin with. But nothing matches the magnitude of Olympic hockey. Nothing.

Adelphos
02-12-2010, 11:36 PM
I remember the 1980 Olympic hockey games vividly. I was in New Orleans at the time, and you talk about fanatics. I doubt them Cajuns had ever seen a hockey game in their life prior to that, but the 'Who Dat' crowd was cheering like banshees for those youngsters of the USA.

ISalzman
02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
I remember the 1980 Olympic hockey games vividly. I was in New Orleans at the time, and you talk about fanatics. I doubt them Cajuns had ever seen a hockey game in their life prior to that, but the 'Who Dat' crowd was cheering like banshees for those youngsters of the USA.

The 1980 team was a great story. Can you believe it already? That was 30 years ago! It will be a lifelong memory. I'll never forget the first game of the tournament in 80 when USA pulled the goalie and tied Sweden with 27 seconds to go in the game. That set the tone for the rest of the tournament.

Adelphos
02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Okay, Irving, you're on...

If the opportunity ever presents itself, I'll buy you a cheeseburger if the Americanos win the gold in hockey, you buy me one if the Canucks win it.

Deal?

By the way, did you see the Nordic Combined yesterday? Wow! Probably the most exciting race ever in that event. Johnny Spillane (USA) took the silver, which is the first time the USA has ever medaled in the Nordic Combined. He lost the gold by seven one-hundredths of a second.

I'm watching the Cross Country right now as I type.

Oh yeah, one more medal for Apollo Ono and he will be the most decorated winter olympian ever.

ISalzman
02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Okay, Irving, you're on...

If the opportunity ever presents itself, I'll buy you a cheeseburger if the Americanos win the gold in hockey, you buy me one if the Canucks win it.

Deal?

By the way, did you see the Nordic Combined yesterday? Wow! Probably the most exciting race ever in that event. Johnny Spillane (USA) took the silver, which is the first time the USA has ever medaled in the Nordic Combined. He lost the gold by seven one-hundredths of a second.

I'm watching the Cross Country right now as I type.

Oh yeah, one more medal for Apollo Ono and he will be the most decorated winter olympian ever.

Okay, Scott, you're on. Let me know if you ever decide to make the trip into the NY/NJ metro area by the way. You may not have ever tried our famous Corn Beef and/or Pastrami. I'll have to treat you to one of those too!

I didn't see Johnny Spillane's race. But I have been following Apollo Anton Ono with much interest. He's fast becoming the Michael Phelps of the Winter Games.

Of course, I'm getting psyched up for the hockey which is set to begin tomorrow.

Adelphos
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Okay, Scott, you're on. Let me know if you ever decide to make the trip into the NY/NJ metro area by the way. You may not have ever tried our famous Corn Beef and/or Pastrami. I'll have to treat you to one of those too!

Actually, been there, done that. So we'll make it a Corn Beef or Pastrami. And you're right, you can't get 'em that good anywhere else in the world.

ISalzman
02-15-2010, 01:29 PM
.... And you're right, you can't get 'em that good anywhere else in the world.

I have to agree with you there. But, admittedly, I am biased. :)

One of the great things about travel is getting to try the different regional and ethnic cuisines native to the different travel destinations. What's good by you (in Texas, I believe?)?

Adelphos
02-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I have to agree with you there. But, admittedly, I am biased. :)

One of the great things about travel is getting to try the different regional and ethnic cuisines native to the different travel destinations. What's good by you (in Texas, I believe?)?

No, I happen to live in a suburb of Atlanta, but I've pretty much been all over the world, except Asia, I suppose.

Anyway, I still think that New Orleans is the best overall Eating city on the planet. In fact, I don't think any other city even comes close in that respect. Even the Chinese food in New Orleans has something special about it.

ISalzman
02-15-2010, 02:36 PM
No, I happen to live in a suburb of Atlanta, but I've pretty much been all over the world, except Asia, I suppose.

Anyway, I still think that New Orleans is the best overall Eating city on the planet. In fact, I don't think any other city even comes close in that respect. Even the Chinese food in New Orleans has something special about it.

Really, New Orleans, huh? I'd not heard of their food reputation before. Is it the Cajun cuisine in particular? Have you caught any episodes of the show "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel? Great show. He travels all over the globe and highlights a lot of the weird - weird, as we would perceive it - foods and dishes that people eat in different places around the world.

Adelphos
02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Really, New Orleans, huh? I'd not heard of their food reputation before. Is it the Cajun cuisine in particular? Have you caught any episodes of the show "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel? Great show. He travels all over the globe and highlights a lot of the weird - weird, as we would perceive it - foods and dishes that people eat in different places around the world.

Nope, never caught the show.

I don't know what accounts for the New Orlean's magic, but it's just there, not only in the well-known establishments, but particularly in the hole-in-the-wall joints as well. I lived there for about a year back in 79-80, and so I got to eat at a lot of local spots in addition to all the famous places.

As I said, nothing quite like it anywhere in the world in my experience.

By the way, the men's Snowboard Cross is on right now, and it is spectacular. I must say, I'd like to try that myself sometime. :eek:

Adelphos
02-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey Irv,

The USA better step it up a bit. They didn't look real sharp against Sweden, even though they won. Let's hope they're pacing themselves.

ISalzman
02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Hey Irv,

The USA better step it up a bit. They didn't look real sharp against Sweden, even though they won. Let's hope they're pacing themselves.

Hey Scott, I think they will step it up. This is the kind of tourney that the good teams get better as they go along. We need to remember that most of these guys don't play together most of the time; they play on different teams, for the most part. When they get thrown together like this for a major tournament, it generally takes a little time for the guys to find cohesion and chemistry. I think they'll get better. I just watched the Sweden - Germany game (Sweden 2 Germany 0). One could well say that Sweden looked a little sluggish. But just their first game too. Likewise Canada had a slow start against Norway yesterday, but amped it up in the second period.

By the way, the USA played Switzerland yesterday, not Sweden. They play Norway tomorrow.

Adelphos
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I mistated Switzerland/Sweden. I watched the Sweden-Germany too.

I also watched Lindsay Vonn and Julie Mancuso take gold and silver for the US in the downhill, the first Americal woman to ever win that event in the Olympics. There's a lot of good events tonight, including inline, half pipe, and the cross country today was nail biting.

I just heard the commentators say that the USA hockey guys know what they're donig, and that they will turn it on as needed.

Adelphos
02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Well, even though the USA beat the Norwegians 6-1, they made a TON of shots without scoring. They only got their last three in the last portion of the 3rd period. They did stay on offense the vast majority of the time though.

However, as I type this, Canada is tied with the Swiss 2-2 with only about 3 minutes left in the 3rd period, so they might be a little stale themselves.

EDIT: Canada wins it in a shootout.

ISalzman
02-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Well, even though the USA beat the Norwegians 6-1, they made a TON of shots without scoring. They only got their last three in the last portion of the 3rd period. They did stay on offense the vast majority of the time though.

However, as I type this, Canada is tied with the Swiss 2-2 with only about 3 minutes left in the 3rd period, so they might be a little stale themselves.

EDIT: Canada wins it in a shootout.

Believe it or not, the USA actually sits atop the standings in their pool. They have a one-point lead over Canada. The reason is that you get 3 points for a win in regulation, 2 points for a win in overtime or the shootout. This sets up Sunday's match between the two of them (USA, Canada) very nicely. They'll play for first place in the pool. If you win your pool, you get an automatic bye into the medal round.

Adelphos
02-19-2010, 01:07 PM
If Canada plays the way they did yesterday it looks like I'll be treating you to a corned beef or pastrami. :confused:

ISalzman
02-19-2010, 01:31 PM
If Canada plays the way they did yesterday it looks like I'll be treating you to a corned beef or pastrami. :confused:

I just need a little refresher. How are we doing this? If the USA wins the Gold Medal, I'm treating you to a corned beef or pastrami, and if Canada wins the Gold Medal, you treat me to a corned beef or pastrami?

Adelphos
02-19-2010, 01:42 PM
I just need a little refresher. How are we doing this? If the USA wins the Gold Medal, I'm treating you to a corned beef or pastrami, and if Canada wins the Gold Medal, you treat me to a corned beef or pastrami?

Correct.

Sunday's game is just a tune-up to see who's playing well and who's not.

ISalzman
02-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Correct.

Sunday's game is just a tune-up to see who's playing well and who's not.

Should be a good game. Last night Slovakia knocked off Russia in a shootout.

Adelphos
02-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Have you heard???

In the past hour or so Medvedev and Putin are calling for the Russian Olympic Committee to resign, and for the Russian coach(es) to also be fired due to Russia's overall lack of performance thus far. :rolleyes:

ISalzman
02-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Have you heard???

In the past hour or so Medvedev and Putin are calling for the Russian Olympic Committee to resign, and for the Russian coach(es) to also be fired due to Russia's overall lack of performance thus far. :rolleyes:

I hadn't heard that, but I'm not terribly surprised by it. Sport was very important for Russian self-image going back to the old Soviet days. It's comical and sad at the same time. Don't know if you read this but Evgeni Pleshenko, the silver medalist in the men's figure skating said that the American who beat him (Evan) is not a true champion. (He said that because the American didn't do a quadruple in his long program.)

Adelphos
02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Don't know if you read this but Evgeni Pleshenko, the silver medalist in the men's figure skating said that the American who beat him (Evan) is not a true champion. (He said that because the American didn't do a quadruple in his long program.)

Yeah, and I think EVERYONE who actually saw the two performances would agree that Lysacek (the USA skater) WON the gold, because as Scott Hamilton remarked, the rules are set before time and they include the WHOLE performance, not one jump.

Lysacek was extremely gracious about it in an interview about an hour ago. He's not only a class act on the ice, but off the ice as well.

ISalzman
02-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, and I think EVERYONE who actually saw the two performances would agree that Lysacek (the USA skater) WON the gold, because as Scott Hamilton remarked, the rules are set before time and they include the WHOLE performance, not one jump.

Lysacek was extremely gracious about it in an interview about an hour ago. He's not only a class act on the ice, but off the ice as well.

I don't agree with Pleshenko; I was only quoting him.

I think I heard awhile back that Scott Hamilton is a Christian. I believe the same is true of Nancy Kerrigan. Do you know if any of the above is true?

Adelphos
02-19-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't agree with Pleshenko; I was only quoting him.

I think I heard awhile back that Scott Hamilton is a Christian. I believe the same is true of Nancy Kerrigan. Do you know if any of the above is true?

No, I haven't heard that. Also, I didn't think you agree with Pleshenko; I knew you were only quoting him.

It's clear he's a classic prima donna who thinks he ought to get a gold medal just for showing up.

ISalzman
02-19-2010, 07:17 PM
It's clear he's a classic prima donna who thinks he ought to get a gold medal just for showing up.

Agreed. This is really making the news, by the way! Putin's comments were carried by the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. The whole Pleshenko vs. Lysachek controversy is big news.

jimofbentley
02-19-2010, 07:18 PM
There is an interesting article in today's New York Times about a family from New Jersey who have three children competing in this Olympics, but none of them for the U. S.

Two are competing for Japan. The third is competing for the Republic of Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/sports/olympics/20reeds.html?hp

ISalzman
02-19-2010, 07:43 PM
There is an interesting article in today's New York Times about a family from New Jersey who have three children competing in this Olympics, but none of them for the U. S.

Two are competing for Japan. The third is competing for the Republic of Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/sports/olympics/20reeds.html?hp

Thanks Jim. They don't live too far from me.

Adelphos
02-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I must admit, the Downhill and the Super G are my two favorite events at the Winter Olympics (although I like a lot of the other events too), and even though Bodie Miller (USA) took the bronze and the silver in the Downhill and Super G respectively this time, everything always seems to be anti-climatic since Franz Klammer's run in the Downhill at Innsbruch in 1976.

Anybody else ever see that one?

BigJayOneill
02-19-2010, 11:39 PM
I hadn't heard that, but I'm not terribly surprised by it. Sport was very important for Russian self-image going back to the old Soviet days. It's comical and sad at the same time. Don't know if you read this but Evgeni Pleshenko, the silver medalist in the men's figure skating said that the American who beat him (Evan) is not a true champion. (He said that because the American didn't do a quadruple in his long program.)

It seems to me that tensions have been very high between the 2 countries since Rocky Balboa beat Ivan Drago in 15 rounds back in 1986! :rolleyes: ("Hit the one in the middle!")

On a serious note, would anyone else like to have a English version of the LXX that links to one of the Greek lexicons. (Like some NT?) Or, is this an option with a version that I am not aware of?

Adelphos
02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
On a serious note, would anyone else like to have a English version of the LXX that links to one of the Greek lexicons. (Like some NT?) Or, is this an option with a version that I am not aware of?

Doesn't Strongs essentially do that already?

BigJayOneill
02-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Doesn't Strongs essentially do that already?

Strongs has, in simplistic terms, Hebrew for the OT and Greek for the NT. I am looking for a "Strong's" LXX/ Greek version of the OT.

In other words, I would like to have an English translation of the LXX which has the "Greek" info come up in the analysis window. Is this an option we already have?

Adelphos
02-20-2010, 09:08 PM
In other words, I would like to have an English translation of the LXX which has the "Greek" info come up in the analysis window. Is this an option we already have?

Well, there is the LXE which is the English version of the LXX, and that is tagged to the Greek. Is that what you want?

EDIT: Actually, the LXE is NOT actually TAGGED to the Greek; it is merely the translation of the LXT, but if you have both displayed, you can hover over the LXT and the Greek will appear in the Analysis window.

I don't think any English version is specifically tagged to a morphology of Greek or Hebrew.

ISalzman
02-21-2010, 02:42 PM
It seems to me that tensions have been very high between the 2 countries since Rocky Balboa beat Ivan Drago in 15 rounds back in 1986! :rolleyes: ("Hit the one in the middle!")

That is funny!

Adelphos
02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Whew!!! What a game!

Looks like I might be owing you a corned beef/pastrami. :cool:

ISalzman
02-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Whew!!! What a game!

Looks like I might be owing you a corned beef/pastrami. :cool:

Wow, what a deal! You mean my team loses and I still get a corned beef/pastrami? Ahhh, bring on the comfort food so I don't have to wallow in self pity for too long! :)

Adelphos
02-22-2010, 11:25 AM
No, the bet was if Canada wins the gold, you owe me. If the USA wins the gold, I owe you.

I hope you win the bet. The USA played a great game last night. I hope they can hold up through the finish.

ISalzman
02-22-2010, 11:44 AM
No, the bet was if Canada wins the gold, you owe me. If the USA wins the gold, I owe you.

OK, no problem. But just so that you know, that's a little bit of a change from our previous agreement. Look back on posts 18 & 19 of this thread. It was the reverse before.

Adelphos
02-22-2010, 11:50 AM
OK, no problem. But just so that you know, that's a little bit of a change from our previous agreement. Look back on posts 18 & 19 of this thread. It was the reverse before.

No, it's the same deal. Go back and read post #5.

ISalzman
02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
No, it's the same deal. Go back and read post #5.

Okay, gotcha.

Adelphos
02-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Congrats to the women, too. They will play for the gold medal in a couple of days!

Adelphos
02-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Well, I'm glad the USA had a tough game against the Swiss so as to hopefully make them sharper for the medal rounds.

ISalzman
02-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Canada sure took it to the Russians last night. That first period was sheer total domination. Wow!

Adelphos
02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Canada sure took it to the Russians last night. That first period was sheer total domination. Wow!

Yeah, they looked like a completely different team than when they played the USA. Let's hope that's because the USA is that much more dominating.

This is the best chance the USA has EVER had of winning gold, so if they don't get it done here, don't hold your breath for 2012, assuming the world isn't too much in a mess to hold an olympics in 2012, and I ain't waxing poetic.

ISalzman
02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Yeah, they looked like a completely different team than when they played the USA. Let's hope that's because the USA is that much more dominating.

This is the best chance the USA has EVER had of winning gold, so if they don't get it done here, don't hold your breath for 2012, assuming the world isn't too much in a mess to hold an olympics in 2012, and I ain't waxing poetic.

The team the US had in Salt Lake (2202) was actually quite good. They took the Silver Medal. Should be an interesting semi-final tomorrow against Finland. The Finns are always tough. They probably play a team game better than anybody. Canada - Slovakia should be a good game too.

Adelphos
02-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Well, Irving, I hope I lose our bet BIG TIME!!!

If the USA loses today, it'll be a fluke.

ISalzman
02-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Well, Irving, I hope I lose our bet BIG TIME!!!

If the USA loses today, it'll be a fluke.

Scott, we're going for all the marbles here, aren't we? Go Canada Go!

Adelphos
02-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Scott, we're going for all the marbles here, aren't we? Go Canada Go!

I haven't wanted the USA to win a hockey game this badly since 1980. The Canucks have momemtum and the home crowd advantage, but I think the USA is clearly the sueperior team this time, both physically and technically.

But the game ain't played on paper; it's played on ice.

Adelphos
02-28-2010, 05:31 PM
UNBELIEVALBE! So far the USA has played like morons, but now they just tied it and sent it into OT. Perhaps, perhaps... :cool:

Adelphos
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Oh well... you owe me a pastrami, Irv.

ISalzman
02-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh well... you owe me a pastrami, Irv.

Yes I do Scott and would consider it a privilege to fulfill my obligation.

The USA played so well in this tournament. They can definitely hold their heads high. While I am relieved with the result, I also feel a gnawing sadness for Team USA. Weird, I've never felt this conflicted before.

Mike Emrick is the prince of all hockey broadcasters. Good man too. I've met and talked to him. I think he is a believer.

Adelphos
02-28-2010, 08:35 PM
It was a great hockey olympics.

I also am more emotional over the loss than I thought I would be. In fact...

I propose that all Canucks be banned from BibleWorks for three months. They can't use it; they can't refer to it; they can't post on this forum; they can't even dream about it. Not til June 1.

There!

ISalzman
02-28-2010, 09:18 PM
I
I propose that all Canucks be banned from BibleWorks for three months. They can't use it; they can't refer to it; they can't post on this forum; they can't even dream about it. Not til June 1.

There!

Oh man... you know that I'm a Canuck, don't you?

ISalzman
02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
It was a great hockey olympics.

I also am more emotional over the loss than I thought I would be. In fact...

There!

It truly was a great hockey Olympics. Shame it only comes every four years.

Adelphos
02-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh man... you know that I'm a Canuck, don't you?

Nope, didn't know you were one 'a them. Well, then I guess you're a happy camper. But it was a good winter olympics for North American in general, with the Canucks winning the most golds ever, and the Americanos winning the most overall medals ever.

ISalzman
02-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Nope, didn't know you were one 'a them. Well, then I guess you're a happy camper. But it was a good winter olympics for North American in general, with the Canucks winning the most golds ever, and the Americanos winning the most overall medals ever.

So am I still banished from these forums for the next three months?

Adelphos
03-01-2010, 10:50 AM
So am I still banished from these forums for the next three months?

Could that even happen? :p

ISalzman
03-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Could that even happen? :p

That's funny! I don't know; maybe we should put it up for a vote. Do people want me out of these forums? On second thought, maybe we better not put it up for a vote! :eek:

Adelphos
03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
What part of Canada are you from? I like Quebec, though I can't speak French (but I do take wooden nickels), and also the western provinces are breathtakingly beautiful.

ISalzman
03-01-2010, 02:53 PM
What part of Canada are you from? I like Quebec, though I can't speak French (but I do take wooden nickels), and also the western provinces are breathtakingly beautiful.

Born and raised in Montreal. That's my secret for speaking French.

Adelphos
03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Born and raised in Montreal. That's my secret for speaking French.

That was probably you I saw crying on your daddy's knee one of those times when I came across the thousand islands from New York. :rolleyes:

Adelphos
03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
As a matter of fact, Irving, I'll just meet you in Montreal and you can pay up with a nice lunch or dinner there. I can get there most any time, given a little notice, so how 'about it? Say sometime this summer, or thereabouts?

Or in Manhattan, if you prefer, although you could probably show me around Montreal a bit.

ISalzman
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
As a matter of fact, Irving, I'll just meet you in Montreal and you can pay up with a nice lunch or dinner there. I can get there most any time, given a little notice, so how 'about it? Say sometime this summer, or thereabouts?

Or in Manhattan, if you prefer, although you could probably show me around Montreal a bit.

Well, Scott, I'm game for either (Montreal or Manhattan), although I usually go back to Montreal once a year for a week (always in the summer). We'd have to time it so that we're both there at the same time. I probably won't know for a couple of months when I'll be going up there, but I can shoot you an e-mail when I have penciled in plans to go. Otherwise, I'm just a short trip into Manhattan (or Brooklyn).

Adelphos
03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Actually, I was only half kidding. This is one of those deals where if we ever do meet up somewhere, then you can buy the sandwich. Unless you're down in my neck of the woods, then of course we don't let guests pay. :cool:

ISalzman
03-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Well, perhaps the good Lord will bring us together one of these days. In all my travels though, I've never actually been to Atlanta, except if you count a brief stop in the Atlanta airport once to catch a connecting flight.

Funnily enough, I met a friend of mine today who was in-town visiting from Florida. He took me out for lunch. I had a pastrami on rye. Pastrami piled high.

BigJayOneill
03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Did you see this?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/32131-THNcom-Blog-Keeping-the-Whalers-dream-afloat.html

:D

ISalzman
03-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Did you see this?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/32131-THNcom-Blog-Keeping-the-Whalers-dream-afloat.html

:D

Hey Jay, thanks for the link. Good article; just read it. Sorry for the long delay, but I just got back from the biblical land of milk and honey where I led a tour.

BigJayOneill
03-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Hey Jay, thanks for the link. Good article; just read it. Sorry for the long delay, but I just got back from the biblical land of milk and honey where I led a tour.

Nice! I have to get over to Eretz Israel myself! I hope your trip went well!

Lots of Whalers news since your Youtube clip... I think you started something. See here (http://officialhartfordwhalersboosterclub.yuku.com/forum/view/id/1) and here! (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hartford-Whaler-Nation/375396610978) ;)

Shalom!

ISalzman
04-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Nice! I have to get over to Eretz Israel myself! I hope your trip went well!

Thanks. Our trip went wonderfully. My wife got to come thanks to the generosity of a number of folks in our congregation. It was the first time that we have ever been away from our kids for that many days. And, of course, nothing beats seeing the biblical sites and walking where Jesus walked. Additionally, our tour operator also threw in a few fun things like kayaking on the Jordan River, a (worship) boat ride on the Sea of Galilee (followed by a meal of freshly caught St Peter's Fish, of course!), a camel ride followed by a thoroughly ancient near eastern meal experience in "Abraham's Tent," etc. I even got to immerse a few new believers from our congregation at "Yardenit," one of the two supposed sites where John baptized Jesus in the Jordan River. All in all, a great trip. I hope and pray you get the blessing of being able to go over there yourself!

Lots of Whalers news since your Youtube clip... I think you started something. See here (http://officialhartfordwhalersboosterclub.yuku.com/forum/view/id/1) and here! (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hartford-Whaler-Nation/375396610978) ;)

Shalom!

Cool. I guess the Hartford Whalers' Nation is alive and well. Shalom, Brother!