PDA

View Full Version : For you, BigJayOneill

ISalzman
02-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Hey Jay, this was one of the recommended videos for me on the Youtube Welcome Screen today. I couldn't help but think of you. This one's for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJx8AiFqpiA&feature=grec

Irving

jimofbentley
02-15-2010, 05:59 AM
I have never been much of a Hockey Fan. I was raised in Southern California where we had no snow, and I now live in Western Australia - where we have no snow (well, a couple of places get a little bit every year or so).

Consequently, I know little about the game in general (except for the fights that are always shown on the evening Sports report).

Why did the Hartford Whalers move?

Some say it was poor attendance.

Others say it was poor teams.

Still others say that it was the poor facility they played in (smallest capacity in the NHL I have read) and the fact that the state wouldn't build a bigger, better one. And why is it the state always has to build the stadiums? The Dodgers own Dodger Stadium, but the Yankees - one of the richest franchises in world sport (and, yes, I am a Yankee fan) - demanded that the city build a billion dollar stadium!! :eek:

While all three are clearly linked (poor team = poor attendance = no state will spend millions of dollars) there must have been a primary cause.

ISalzman
02-15-2010, 11:50 AM
I have never been much of a Hockey Fan. I was raised in Southern California where we had no snow, and I now live in Western Australia - where we have no snow (well, a couple of places get a little bit every year or so).

Consequently, I know little about the game in general (except for the fights that are always shown on the evening Sports report).

Why did the Hartford Whalers move?

Some say it was poor attendance.

Others say it was poor teams.

Still others say that it was the poor facility they played in (smallest capacity in the NHL I have read) and the fact that the state wouldn't build a bigger, better one. And why is it the state always has to build the stadiums? The Dodgers own Dodger Stadium, but the Yankees - one of the richest franchises in world sport (and, yes, I am a Yankee fan) - demanded that the city build a billion dollar stadium!! :eek:

While all three are clearly linked (poor team = poor attendance = no state will spend millions of dollars) there must have been a primary cause.

Hey Jim, I never realized you were a Yank before. I just always assumed you to be a native born Aussie. Not that it really makes any difference in the end; our true citizenship is in heaven anyway! But thanks for that piece of information.

All of your questions are good ones. BigJayOneill will probably be able to answer most of your questions better than I could. While I liked the Hartford Whalers at one time - they played a very exciting brand of hockey driven by skill, speed, and youth - BigJay actually grew up there and was a perennial fan of the Whalers.

But what I can add is this: The Hartford Whalers actually had a wonderful, devoted fan base. They loved their team and were very faithful. I don't think poor fan support was the reason for the move. Hartford hockey fans were among the best in the sport. Witness BigJayOneill himself. He has long since moved from Hartford and yet still misses his Whalers. (BigJay, I hope you don't mind my talking about you; I mean all of this only in a good way! Your partisanship on behalf of the Whalers is enviable and admirable!)

I think you partially hit on the answer yourself, Jim. I think it had to do with their facility (the Hartford Civic Center). It was the smallest facility in the league. And one of the oldest too. Additionally, the local economy in Hartford at the time was suffering. There was not a huge base of corporate support. Many of the large insurance companies that had made Hartford a base were bailing out on the city and moving on to other cities. When the state of Connecticut and the municipal government did not immediately get on board with plans to build a new facility for the Whalers, the owner, Peter Karmanos, quicly resorted to relocation to bigger and better pastures (Raleigh-Durham, NC, where the economy was booming). Some accuse the owner of having been greedy. He was not so interested in the people of Hartford as he was in lining his pockets with profit. To this day, he has been perceived as the villain in the whole thing.

Carolina has taken to their new hockey team with a relish. The team does phenomenally well in Raleigh. They are very well supported and popular. They have even won the Stanley Cup, the league championship. But it is a very sad story for the fans in Hartford who loved their team and felt abandoned by the owner. This is my understanding of the plight of the Whalers. But perhaps BigJay can better fill in any gaps or errors in my understanding.

Irving

ISalzman
02-15-2010, 11:57 AM

My recommendation to you, if you can, is to try to catch a few hockey games during the Winter Olympics (now through the end of February). You will see no fighting; it is not allowed in International hockey. In addition, the players involved are the best in the world. Highly skilled and very talented. You will see the grace, beauty, skill, and power of the game as it should be seen. The teams to watch are Canada, Russia, the United States, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Finland. If you can catch any of those games, you will love the sport and be hooked for life.

jimofbentley
02-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey Jim, I never realized you were a Yank before. I just always assumed you to be a native born Aussie.
Irving

No.

Born in South Carolina.

Raised in California.

Joined the Navy after High School.

Met a girl in Australia.

The rest - as they say - is history. I have lived here now for 31 years as of next week.

jimofbentley
02-15-2010, 07:47 PM
My recommendation to you, if you can, is to try to catch a few hockey games during the Winter Olympics (now through the end of February). You will see no fighting; it is not allowed in International hockey. In addition, the players involved are the best in the world. Highly skilled and very talented. You will see the grace, beauty, skill, and power of the game as it should be seen. The teams to watch are Canada, Russia, the United States, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Finland. If you can catch any of those games, you will love the sport and be hooked for life.

Unfortunately, unless you have pay TV - with the cable network half owned by Rupert Murdoch, and who wants to make him in richer than he already is - you don't get that much of the Olympics. And, because Australia doesn't have a team in the Hockey, they won't show that much of it anyway.

I had the same problem in the summer games. No Australian baseball team in the Olympics - no Baseball shown :(. What's the point of having a Summer Olympics if you're not going to show every inning of every baseball game?

ISalzman
02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
No.

Born in South Carolina.

Raised in California.

Joined the Navy after High School.

Met a girl in Australia.

The rest - as they say - is history. I have lived here now for 31 years as of next week.

I know what you mean; girls seem to have had an impact on history, haven't they?

ISalzman
02-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately, unless you have pay TV - with the cable network half owned by Rupert Murdoch, and who wants to make him in richer than he already is - you don't get that much of the Olympics. And, because Australia doesn't have a team in the Hockey, they won't show that much of it anyway.

I had the same problem in the summer games. No Australian baseball team in the Olympics - no Baseball shown :(. What's the point of having a Summer Olympics if you're not going to show every inning of every baseball game?

Sorry to hear about the great injustices in Australian coverage of the Olympics. Not that I want to come between you and your bride, but you could always come back here! (Stateside, I mean.)

BigJayOneill
02-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Hey Jay, this was one of the recommended videos for me on the Youtube Welcome Screen today. I couldn't help but think of you. This one's for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJx8AiFqpiA&feature=grec

Irving

Thanks Salzman; I do love the video! Very cool! Blessings upon you my friend!

Yes, I still love the Whalers. I have realized, now that my wife is 5 months pregnant with a boy, that the Whale was the "context" for many of my favorite childhood memories. I do still watch the NHL, after a 3 year boycott, and follow the Lightning, but the experience is not the same... not even close.

The Whalers left Hartford for one reason: the new owner wanted to move the team. In sum, they walked away from a new arena, which would have replaced the HCC, 11,000 + season ticket holders, and 97% capacity. Karmonos bought the team to move it... and the fans did everything they could to change his mind (including meeting his season ticket demands!).

FYI- 12,000 + fans went to see Hartford's AHL team a few years ago, 9 years after the team moved, in order to see the numbers retired for 3 old Whalers. This night sold more tickets than some teams in the NHL.

The Whalers were always a bad team... except for one glorious 12 month period when they last to Montreal in a 7 game series and returned to win the Adams Division the following year. Notably, the one year the team made it into the 2nd round of the playoffs, the city had a parade!

There have been a few rumors that a team might return to Hartford... but nothing yet! Oh well, at least I have Salzman!

BTW- Watch out for the Russians in the Olympics!

jimofbentley
02-16-2010, 02:21 AM
Sorry to hear about the great injustices in Australian coverage of the Olympics. Not that I want to come between you and your bride, but you could always come back here! (Stateside, I mean.)

My Dad used to say the same thing, especially after talking to him on the phone. Apparently my accent has shifted after so many years here (not that I can tell - in fact, as soon as I speak everyone here knows that I am either American, although some guess Canadian) so he said, "when are you going to come back here and learn to speak proper?"

In respect of sport, fortunatley, this past season a new all sports free to air channel started up and they were showing some of the Major League Baseball games live every week. Even into the playoffs. They showed the World Series, but it was a delayed telecast because Foxtel already had the rights. But, even though I knew who won the game and how - I still watched. Hey, I'm a Yankee fan and I had a good reason to watch!

With http://mlb.mlb.com I can subscribe and listen to the live audio broadcasts of any game playing.

ISalzman
02-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks Salzman; I do love the video! Very cool! Blessings upon you my friend!

Yes, I still love the Whalers. I have realized, now that my wife is 5 months pregnant with a boy, that the Whale was the "context" for many of my favorite childhood memories. I do still watch the NHL, after a 3 year boycott, and follow the Lightning, but the experience is not the same... not even close.

The Whalers left Hartford for one reason: the new owner wanted to move the team. In sum, they walked away from a new arena, which would have replaced the HCC, 11,000 + season ticket holders, and 97% capacity. Karmonos bought the team to move it... and the fans did everything they could to change his mind (including meeting his season ticket demands!).

FYI- 12,000 + fans went to see Hartford's AHL team a few years ago, 9 years after the team moved, in order to see the numbers retired for 3 old Whalers. This night sold more tickets than some teams in the NHL.

The Whalers were always a bad team... except for one glorious 12 month period when they last to Montreal in a 7 game series and returned to win the Adams Division the following year. Notably, the one year the team made it into the 2nd round of the playoffs, the city had a parade!

There have been a few rumors that a team might return to Hartford... but nothing yet! Oh well, at least I have Salzman!

BTW- Watch out for the Russians in the Olympics!

Hey Jay, congratulations on your coming little one. May our God bring him to full term and a healthy delivery!

I have to think that one day there will be a team in Hartford again. They're great fans. Hartford is too good of a hockey city not to have a NHL team.

Irving

ISalzman
02-16-2010, 10:53 AM
With http://mlb.mlb.com I can subscribe and listen to the live audio broadcasts of any game playing.

I think they also have an option to be able to watch the games themselves on your PC (MLB.TV, I believe).

jimofbentley
02-17-2010, 02:02 AM
I think they also have an option to be able to watch the games themselves on your PC (MLB.TV, I believe).

They do, and I have considered it, but I think that the bandwidth required would soon blow out my internet account.

ISalzman
02-17-2010, 10:30 AM
They do, and I have considered it, but I think that the bandwidth required would soon blow out my internet account.

Gotcha. Well, I guess you could always watch Cricket or Australian Rules Football on TV. :)

jimofbentley
02-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Gotcha. Well, I guess you could always watch Cricket or Australian Rules Football on TV. :)

Yes, cricket season is nearly finished. Australia didn't lose a single match the entire summer in games against the West Indies and Pakistan.

The Australian under 19 side won the World Under 19 Tournament held in New Zealand. The US even had a team, although they did not do well. They were in the same pool as Australia and South Africa, as well as Ireland. The US did beat New Guinea in a warm up match.

Football pre-season has already begun. Nearly 100 degrees in Perth and they want to run around and play football. I don't know if I want :eek: or :confused:.

On a brighter note, pitchers and cathers show up for Spring Training today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigJayOneill
02-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Hey Jay, congratulations on your coming little one. May our God bring him to full term and a healthy delivery!

Irving

Thanks Irv!

ISalzman
02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
You're welcome, Jay.