PDA

View Full Version : WLM - What is this symbol?

jimofbentley
02-10-2010, 12:55 AM
I have used the Word List Manager to gather the distinct words in Genesis in WTM.

I have copied them to the clipboard, but then several compound words (20 in all I think), had a problem. One example is:

אָבֵלמִצְרַיִם

As you can see, the symbol "" has been inserted into the word where there should be a space, and the two parts of the word have been transposed, it should be ~yrcm lba. As I mentioned, this occured to about 20 compound words in all.

Further, when I later copied the list into Word, I could then delete the "" symbol, add a space (but not using the "find and replace" function), and the Hebrew word was re-transposed back to as it should be.

I am using the SBL font (which really causes me problems at times), XP, and Word 2003.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what do I do about it?

ISalzman
02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I have used the Word List Manager to gather the distinct words in Genesis in WTM.

I have copied them to the clipboard, but then several compound words (20 in all I think), had a problem. One example is:

אָבֵלמִצְרַיִם

As you can see, the symbol "" has been inserted into the word where there should be a space, and the two parts of the word have been transposed, it should be ~yrcm lba. As I mentioned, this occured to about 20 compound words in all.

Further, when I later copied the list into Word, I could then delete the "" symbol, add a space (but not using the "find and replace" function), and the Hebrew word was re-transposed back to as it should be.

I am using the SBL font (which really causes me problems at times), XP, and Word 2003.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what do I do about it?

I wonder if the 'f' symbol represents a maqqeph. Is there a maqqeph between the words in the Genesis verse where the two words are found? Perhaps the maqqeph is not exporting properly?

Dale A. Brueggemann
02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
It appears to represent what was found at Genesis 50:11, where one of the occurrences of 'bl is joined to what follows with a maqqef. In the WLM, this shows up as a separate entry for 'bl, with a raised dot between that and mtsrym, ommitting kbd zh. And your font represents the raised dot with your curly f character. Data problem in BW, I would say.

אֶת־הָאֵבֶל בְּגֹרֶן הָאָטָד וַיֹּאמְרוּ אֵבֶל־כָּבֵד זֶה לְמִצְרָיִם
(Gen. 50:11 WTT)