PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Word Lists in Command Line

Ruben Gomez
02-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Using BW 8.0.015x.1 I am unable to use previously saved word lists in the Command Line (with BNM as my search version). I get the message "No Matches in Specified Range". Loading the same iel file in GSE works fine.

Is anyone else able to reproduce this? I have no limits set, and the iel file is okay.

I don't know if this is related to the above, but in the Word List Manager, when I get a list of words, select some of them and then try to delete them (Edit - Delete selected), all the words are deleted.

Is my copy of BW gone crazy or is there a problem there?

Thanks!

Adelphos
02-09-2010, 07:16 AM
No, your copy is not crazy. I can reproduce this error.

Ruben Gomez
02-09-2010, 09:30 AM
No, your copy is not crazy. I can reproduce this error.

Thanks for checking. Very bad timing indeed, as I am right in the middle of writing a review of BW 8.

MGVH
02-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Also running the latest version of BW8 (...15x)

I have already reported the problem in the WLM of trying to delete one or more words and the whole list getting deleted.

I am able to right click in the command line, choose "Insert Word List File Name," and, as long as I have the correct version active in which the IEL was compiled, it runs just fine.

Ruben Gomez
02-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Just to add more info: I use the Spanish keyboard layout for English, Greek, Hebrew and Spanish (in case it makes any difference), and am running a Spanish copy of Windows XP Pro SP3.

Adelphos
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for checking. Very bad timing indeed, as I am right in the middle of writing a review of BW 8.

I'm sure you realize that you can't base a review on a simple bug. This feature has worked properly before, so in my opinion it shouldn't color the review. Of course, it's your review, but in my opinion it just wouldn't be quite fair to base it on a bug, as all software programs have them, and nobody is faster to address them than BW.

Ruben Gomez
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm sure you realize that you can't base a review on a simple bug. This feature has worked properly before, so in my opinion it shouldn't color the review. Of course, it's your review, but in my opinion it just wouldn't be quite fair to base it on a bug, as all software programs have them, and nobody is faster to address them than BW.

No, of course not! By "bad timing" I meant I'll have to wait and revisit this particular feature when it is working again (also, the fact that I spent a few hours on this, assuming I was doing something wrong). Fortunately, there are many other things to look at in the mean time. :)

ISalzman
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey Scott and Ruben,

I'm very much interested in following this thread since I've just begun to get my feet wet working with the WLM (great, useful tool by the way!). Since both of you guys have replicated the same error, I'm sure the programmers will be on it quickly. So I will be following the developments with interest.

But my question is this: I would like to know if there is a way to subscribe to a thread if you don't post to it. This is a thread I would have liked to have subscribed to, since it would be very helpful to get an e-mail alert notifying me of new posts to the thread. As mentioned earlier, or hinted at at least, I want to know if and when a new patch/update will be posted that addresses this situation. But I found no way of being able to subscribe to a thread without posting to it. Do you guys know if this possibility exists? Obviously, since I'm now posting to this thread, it is a moot question for now. But, for future reference, I would like to know if it is possible to subscribe to a thread without actually posting to it. Grateful for any insights you might have.

Irving

Michael Hanel
02-09-2010, 01:45 PM
But my question is this: I would like to know if there is a way to subscribe to a thread if you don't post to it. This is a thread I would have liked to have subscribed to, since it would be very helpful to get an e-mail alert notifying me of new posts to the thread. As mentioned earlier, or hinted at at least, I want to know if and when a new patch/update will be posted that addresses this situation. But I found no way of being able to subscribe to a thread without posting to it. Do you guys know if this possibility exists? Obviously, since I'm now posting to this thread, it is a moot question for now. But, for future reference, I would like to know if it is possible to subscribe to a thread without actually posting to it. Grateful for any insights you might have.

Irving

I've never used it so I can't vouch for how it works, but in the blue bar at the top of this message thread, you can go to "Thread Tools" and subscribe to receive notifications. Have you tried that?

ISalzman
02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
I've never used it so I can't vouch for how it works, but in the blue bar at the top of this message thread, you can go to "Thread Tools" and subscribe to receive notifications. Have you tried that?

Thanks Michael. Weirdly enough, I only have one option under "Thread Tools," and it is "Show Printable Version." I don't have an option to "Subscribe to receive notifications." But I'm going to try using a different internet browser. Maybe this is a Google Chrome issue.

Michael Hanel
02-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks Michael. Weirdly enough, I only have one option under "Thread Tools," and it is "Show Printable Version." I don't have an option to "Subscribe to receive notifications." But I'm going to try using a different internet browser. Maybe this is a Google Chrome issue.

That is very odd, I have three options, the last of which is "Subscribe to this thread". Not sure why that would not be present for you.

ISalzman
02-09-2010, 03:16 PM
That is very odd, I have three options, the last of which is "Subscribe to this thread". Not sure why that would not be present for you.

It is definitely odd. But here's something even odder. This thread now has two pages. If you click "Thread Tools" on the two respective pages, do you have the same options available?

Michael Hanel
02-09-2010, 03:18 PM
It is definitely odd. But here's something even odder. This thread now has two pages. If you click "Thread Tools" on the two respective pages, do you have the same options available?

Yep. same options.

ISalzman
02-09-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't know. I can't explain it, but sometimes when I click "Thread Tools" there are the three options available. Other times when I click it, there is only one option available. Go figure! Where's Rod Serling when you need him?

MGVH
02-10-2010, 10:09 AM
The latest BW8 update to ... 15y takes care of the delete selected words issue.

Interestingly, the WLM dialogue box now adds additional input areas for "Key name" and "Description." The BW8 folks have been up to something...

I never had the load IEL from command line, so others will need to confirm if that issue is resolved as well.

Adelphos
02-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I should clarify that I did not have the CL problem either, only the delete problem, so that is now fixed. As for the other, I believe that may be due to either Reuben's keyboard or the Spanish version of XP, but that's only a guess.

Ruben Gomez
02-10-2010, 10:50 AM
I never had the load IEL from command line, so others will need to confirm if that issue is resolved as well.

Yes, the iel file problem in the CL is still there. I have submitted screenshots and a step-by-step explanation on how to reproduce it (even with an English Win XP OS).

Thanks.

Adelphos
02-11-2010, 10:26 AM
No, of course not! By "bad timing" I meant I'll have to wait and revisit this particular feature when it is working again (also, the fact that I spent a few hours on this, assuming I was doing something wrong). Fortunately, there are many other things to look at in the mean time. :)

Reuben, I'll look forward to reading your review when you complete it. I like the many reviews you've done.

Could you please let us know here when you've finished it?

Ruben Gomez
02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Reuben, I'll look forward to reading your review when you complete it. I like the many reviews you've done.

Could you please let us know here when you've finished it?

Sure! I will announce it when it's ready. Thanks!

MBushell
02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Yes, the iel file problem in the CL is still there. I have submitted screenshots and a step-by-step explanation on how to reproduce it (even with an English Win XP OS).

Thanks.

These problems should be fixed now. COmmand line export of IEL lists to the ASE has also been added. Note however that IEL lists on the command line for Hebrew text is not supported yet. It is supported however for Hebrew morphology texts, which should cover most people.

Mike

Ruben Gomez
02-13-2010, 03:37 AM
Great job. Thanks for fixing it!