PDA

View Full Version : How to copy Hebrew to Word without it being right aligned

Allan Brown
02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Didn't there used to be a way to copy Hebrew out of the Browse Window into Word without the text being right-aligned?

Please remind me how to do it. I've forgotten.

Michael Hanel
02-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Didn't there used to be a way to copy Hebrew out of the Browse Window into Word without the text being right-aligned?

To help people give the answers, please provided additional info. What version of BibleWorks and what version of Word are you using? I believe the answers will change depending on what you want. Also do you want the exported text to be in Unicode or in BWHeb font?

Philip Brown
02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Sorry, BW 8.0. Copying bwhebb, not unicode.

Adelphos
02-01-2010, 11:52 PM

I don't think it's possible in BW8. I seem to remember back several versions ago you could do this, but I've tried every which way with BW8 and it is always right-aligned.

I think that's the way it's supposed to be, though.

MBushell
02-02-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't think it's possible in BW8. I seem to remember back several versions ago you could do this, but I've tried every which way with BW8 and it is always right-aligned.

I think that's the way it's supposed to be, though.

Make sure you don't include a carriage return when you copy. If BW finds one it assumes you want the text right aligned.
Mike

Adelphos
02-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Make sure you don't include a carriage return when you copy. If BW finds one it assumes you want the text right aligned.

It still right-aligns the Hebrew when I paste into Word, even if I don't include a carriage return.

The only way it doesn't right-align is if I don't copy the whole verse. IOW, if I just copy SOME of the words in the verse, it left-aligns, but if I copy the whole verse, it right-aligns.

But I would rather have it that way, i.e., I would rather it right-aligns, just like it does.

ISalzman
02-02-2010, 04:23 PM
It still right-aligns the Hebrew when I paste into Word, even if I don't include a carriage return.

The only way it doesn't right-align is if I don't copy the whole verse. IOW, if I just copy SOME of the words in the verse, it left-aligns, but if I copy the whole verse, it right-aligns.

But I would rather have it that way, i.e., I would rather it right-aligns, just like it does.

I have always adjusted the alignment in the destination document (in MS Word) to suit whatever my preferences were at the time. With Hebrew, I usually like the text to be centered. But I think it would be nice to have the choice available in the BW Export settings. Is there a setting in BW that ensures no carriage return, by the way?

Adelphos
02-02-2010, 04:31 PM
I have always adjusted the alignment in the destination document (in MS Word) to suit whatever my preferences were at the time. With Hebrew, I usually like the text to be centered. But I think it would be nice to have the choice available in the BW Export settings. Is there a setting in BW that ensures no carriage return, by the way?

Not that I'm aware of. It all depends on the range of your selection.

In any case, this is really a moot point with me (not to others, I know), but for me, I NEVER use Word for typing Hebrew. I use Davka for Hebrew, Hebrew/English, as it is inifinitely easier than Word, even with the language support that the XP/Vista/Win 7 have incorporated.

ISalzman
02-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Not that I'm aware of. It all depends on the range of your selection.

In any case, this is really a moot point with me (not to others, I know), but for me, I NEVER use Word for typing Hebrew. I use Davka for Hebrew, Hebrew/English, as it is inifinitely easier than Word, even with the language support that the XP/Vista/Win 7 have incorporated.

I have Davka and use it periodically too (though I usually use MS Word for sermons). I have a lot of the text libraries in Davka. So when I need text from Tanakh, I usually open up the text right there in Davka and copy and paste it into my DavkaWriter document. But I find myself using Davka less and less these days. I use it for certain things like preparing funeral services, etc. In other words, things rich in traditional Jewish liturgical content. But for sermons, my primarily tools are BW and MS Word.

Adelphos
02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
All the text libraries that Davka Writer accommodates come standard.

I'm not aware of a single thing that you can do in Word that Davka doesn't do better, especially with Hebrew, Hebrew/English, English/Hebrew.

And that is especially true with integrating Hebrew and English in the same sentence, which you can do in Davak with a single keystroke and have ALL of the formatting taken care of automatically.

ISalzman
02-02-2010, 05:38 PM
All the text libraries that Davka Writer accommodates come standard.

Actually, there are add-on modules which can be purchased separately (Passover Haggadah, Siddur, Machzor, Soncino Talmud, etc.)

I'm not aware of a single thing that you can do in Word that Davka doesn't do better, especially with Hebrew, Hebrew/English, English/Hebrew.

And that is especially true with integrating Hebrew and English in the same sentence, which you can do in Davak with a single keystroke and have ALL of the formatting taken care of automatically.

No argument from me. Davka does do Hebrew better. No question. But I still think that Word is the better word processor, Hebrew issues aside. But I use Davka and have used it for years. So, I don't refute your assertions. I use both word processors but for different things.

Adelphos
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Yes, those add-ons can be plugged in separately, but I'm talking about the main biblical texts and mishna/talmud.

I actually don't think Word is a better word processor overall. I think Davka is much more user friendly and that it is much easier to accomplish numerous tasks than it is in Word.

My main beef with Davka is that they are paranoid about their fonts and other proprietary data. Until they make some of their fonts available, such as BW has done with their fonts, then Davka will remain a second-class citizen within the world of word processing.

ISalzman
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
I actually don't think Word is a better word processor overall. I think Davka is much more user friendly and that it is much easier to accomplish numerous tasks than it is in Word.

You may be right. I, myself, in my own usage, have not found it as user-friendly all the time. A few years ago, I was putting together a Messianic Siddur. There were a number of formatting issues that were not all that clear cut. So I had to get on the horn with their tech support people (by the way, I should say their tech support people are top notch!). It took a lot of work to get all the issues resolved. In the end, I was happy, but it took a lot of time and patience.

It was pretty interesting though. I had to e-mail them my 80+ page draft. They were going to have to work on my document in-house to resolve all my formatting issues. They are an Orthodox Jewish company, keep in mind. Here I am, a heretic in their book, sending them a "Messianic Siddur." They actually ended up telling me that they loved my siddur and, in all their years, they hadn't seen one that was anywhere near as nice as the one that I did. I counted that as a victory. May Yeshua (Jesus) get all the glory! (By the way, the traditional Jewish community likes to say that we [Jewish believers in Jesus] are no longer Jewish. Yet, they couldn't help but be impressed by my siddur!:))

My main beef with Davka is that they are paranoid about their fonts and other proprietary data. Until they make some of their fonts available, such as BW has done with their fonts, then Davka will remain a second-class citizen within the world of word processing.

From your lips to their ears!

Adelphos
02-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I had an issue in an earlier version of Davka having to do with saving in PDF format, where I had to email them my document, and that particular document was loaded with Jesus Christ and Christian teaching, and they had no problem helping me out at all. I was also a regular on their forum some years back, and I think I was the only gentile in the mix, but we all got along pretty well.

By the way, I met an orthodox Jew the other day at a tire dealer, and he has consequently been reading some of my website. -:)

ISalzman
02-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I had an issue in an earlier version of Davka having to do with saving in PDF format, where I had to email them my document, and that particular document was loaded with Jesus Christ and Christian teaching, and they had no problem helping me out at all. I was also a regular on their forum some years back, and I think I was the only gentile in the mix, but we all got along pretty well.

I'm not surprised. They really only have a problem with Jewish Christians. We are the "traitors" and "deserters."

By the way, I didn't even know that Davka had forums on their website. Do they still?

By the way, I met an orthodox Jew the other day at a tire dealer, and he has consequently been reading some of my website. -:)

That's great! There's a lot more interest there than meets the eye. There are secret believers amongst even the very Orthodox (even Hasidic). But they are very fearful of coming out into the open because of the great cost. But every so often I get phone calls from curious Orthodox seekers.

By the way, I sat for a few hours in a tire store last week!

Adelphos
02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
By the way, I didn't even know that Davka had forums on their website. Do they still?

http://id3430.securedata.net/davkawriter/forum.html

I've never found it hard to discuss my faith with Jews, either orthodox or reformed. We had people over on Christimas eve, including a few Jews, and not only was the gospel of Jesus Christ clearly proclaimed, but New Testaments were gladly accepted, and sincere questions were sincerely asked.

ISalzman
02-02-2010, 06:47 PM
http://id3430.securedata.net/davkawriter/forum.html

I've never found it hard to discuss my faith with Jews, either orthodox or reformed. We had people over on Christimas eve, including a few Jews, and not only was the gospel of Jesus Christ clearly proclaimed, but New Testaments were gladly accepted, and sincere questions were sincerely asked.

That great! (Your Christmas Eve festivities) May the Lord provide many more opportunities for you.

Thanks for the link to the Davka Forum. But if you click all the way through, there is an error. You never actually get to the forum.

Adelphos
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the link to the Davka Forum. But if you click all the way through, there is an error. You never actually get to the forum.

Yeah, I noticed that after I pasted the link. It used to work, and that's where their website still directs you to, so perhaps it's a temporary error, or perhaps they've discontinued the forum. Just keep checking over the next few days if you're interested, and if it gets fixed, you'll know.

ISalzman
02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I noticed that after I pasted the link. It used to work, and that's where their website still directs you to, so perhaps it's a temporary error, or perhaps they've discontinued the forum. Just keep checking over the next few days if you're interested, and if it gets fixed, you'll know.

Okay, thanks, will do.

bkMitchell
02-02-2010, 07:22 PM
...the traditional Jewish community likes to say that we [Jewish believers in Jesus] are no longer Jewish...

Well, in the Orthodox community they will be considered Meshumad(one who is destroying them self) and who maybe ostracized but none the less he/she is still a Jew technically and need not convert back to Judaism if he/she wish to return.

It is much like reform Judaism, and conservative(Masorti) Judaism are not considered to be Judaism by the Orthodox but the practitioners of those movements are still considered to be Jewish. Till about 14 or so years ago Messianic Jews could still emigrate to Israel, but no longer and this includes not only those who believe in Jesus/Yeshua as Messiah by also those of the Messianic part of the Chabad movement who believe their Rabbe to be Moshiach/Messiah.

bkMitchell
02-02-2010, 07:34 PM

I feel the same way, too!
I do wish, however, that DavkaWriter would full support Unicode of other languages.

Adelphos
02-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I feel the same way, too!
I do wish, however, that DavkaWriter would full support Unicode of other languages.

I think Davka has really put Writer on the back burner for Windows, as it's been several years since they've released an upgrade for Windows, but they appear to be going full steam with their Mac products.