PDA

View Full Version : If I upgrade.....

christlove
01-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey Mates!

What happens if I install a new BW-Version? Does the installation-assistent find the old BW-Version and carry the current state of the old Program to the new or do I have to build all new up?

And: I hope the button-symbols haven´t change. If so, please tell me.

Thx in advance!

Steffen

Michael Hanel
01-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey Mates!

What happens if I install a new BW-Version? Does the installation-assistent find the old BW-Version and carry the current state of the old Program to the new or do I have to build all new up?

And: I hope the button-symbols haven´t change. If so, please tell me.

Thx in advance!

Steffen

The easiest way to copy your custom BW versions is to copy them directly from your older \databases\ folder to your new one. When you do that, they will appear in BW upon starting it over. You can also re-compile them all individually, which would do the same thing, but take more time. The compiler popup is the same in BW8, so there shouldn't be any problems if you choose to do it this way.

As far as your second question, I don't know what you're asking. Maybe you can be more specific.

Adelphos
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
No, the button symbols haven't changed. There are some additional new ones, though.

christlove
01-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Thx Michael, thx Adelphos.

Sorry for not being that specific, Michael but Adelphos already answered so the button thing is attended.

Keep spreading.

Steffen

Adelphos
01-27-2010, 03:34 PM
...so the button thing is attended.

I hate it when native speakers won't correct me when I'm trying to learn a new language, and I suspect you are the same way...

also sollst du sagen -- so the button thing is SETTLED.

christlove
01-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I hate it when native speakers won't correct me when I'm trying to learn a new language, and I suspect you are the same way...

Hey, thx for the advice - very nice. You suspected definetely right.

also sollst du sagen -- so the button thing is SETTLED.

So, I also got an advice for you: If you wanna learn german you should say: "also 'solltest' du sagen" (Konjunktiv II) look here: http://canoo.net/services/Controller?dispatch=inflection&input=sollen&features=%28Cat+V%29%28Aux+haben%29&country=D&lookup=caseInSensitive . I take my hat off to everyone who tries to learn the disastrous grammar of german. No one here in german speaks the language right, everyone creates his own. So, if you one day wanna come over here you shouldn´t be afraid of not speaking right because - no one does...lol.

Stay blessed, bro.

Steffen

Adelphos
01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Touche' :eek:

Except I didn't mean it past tense.

ISalzman
01-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Touche' :eek:

Except I didn't mean it past tense.

I understood you. You meant the future, didn't you?

Adelphos
01-29-2010, 07:52 PM
I understood you. You meant the future, didn't you?

Actually, it can be present, but future in a technical sense.

Either way, Du sollst means you should, so that when I said...

also sollst du sagan it meant, thus you should say...

He probably thought I was trying to say it in the past tense, hence his solltest, but I didn't intend it in the past tense.

ISalzman
01-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Actually, it can be present, but future in a technical sense.

Either way, Du sollst means you should, so that when I said...

also sollst du sagan it meant, thus you should say...

He probably thought I was trying to say it in the past tense, hence his solltest, but I didn't intend it in the past tense.

I understood exactly what you meant. "Du sollst" also means "you should" in Yiddish. The only difference, of course, is that Yiddish is written with Hebrew characters.

christlove
01-30-2010, 07:08 AM
No, I didn´meant the past tense. "Solltest" doesn´t express what you describe with "should have" or "ought to have" (if I´m correct right now) in english. "Solltest" is in german more used as an less rigorous calling for "sollst". In english it would be like "it would be better if you do that"(solltest) instead of "you should do that, if not you´re...."(sollst).
In german in any case its a gently form of "sollst", without forcing somebody onto the defensive.

I know, pretty unorthodox completion. I don´t know at all whether its grammatical right what I say. Sure is that in german it is used like that. Like I said Adelphos: No one here knows the language german...lol

If something should be corrected, tell me please.

Stay blessed

Steffen

ISalzman
01-30-2010, 07:34 AM
No, I didn´meant the past tense. "Solltest" doesn´t express what you describe with "should have" or "ought to have" (if I´m correct right now) in english. "Solltest" is in german more used as an less rigorous calling for "sollst". In english it would be like "it would be better if you do that"(solltest) instead of "you should do that, if not you´re...."(sollst).
In german in any case its a gently form of "sollst", without forcing somebody onto the defensive.

I know, pretty unorthodox completion. I don´t know at all whether its grammatical right what I say. Sure is that in german it is used like that. Like I said Adelphos: No one here knows the language german...lol

If something should be corrected, tell me please.

Stay blessed

Steffen

Thanks for the explanation, Steffen. What you say makes perfect sense. Danke.

Irving

Adelphos
01-30-2010, 12:31 PM
"Solltest" is in german more used as an less rigorous calling for "sollst".

Ich muß sagen, daß eine Nuance ist, damit ich war nicht bewußt von. Ich denke uns beid gelehrte etwas. Danke für die Erklärung.

bkMitchell
01-31-2010, 01:19 AM
"Du sollst" also means "you should" in Yiddish. The only difference, of course, is that Yiddish is written with Hebrew characters.

For example:

דו זאָלסט
דו זאָלסט נישט גײן מיט קיין אַנדערע מײדעלעך

לערן די תורה, אז דו זאלסט וערען

זײַט געזונט

ISalzman
01-31-2010, 06:29 PM
For example:

דו זאָלסט
דו זאָלסט נישט גײן מיט קיין אַנדערע מײדעלעך

לערן די תורה, אז דו זאלסט וערען

זײַט געזונט

Exactly, mein freindt. Unfortunately, I'm using the Google Chrome browser right now and it is very challenged when it comes to inputting Hebrew characters. I agree with you exactly though. There is only one meidale for me, ...my basherte. Mein froi. Blessings Bryan (Baruch?)

bkMitchell
01-31-2010, 07:28 PM
...Unfortunately, I'm using the Google Chrome browser right now and it is very challenged when it comes to inputting Hebrew characters

In XP and in Windows7 you can use the On screen keyboard in conjunction with the input method editors (IMEs) on the language tool bar. Then you can simple touch type or click type with your mouse. This should work for any application.

I hope you had a happy Tu B'Shevat,
Brian

ISalzman
01-31-2010, 08:15 PM
In XP and in Windows7 you can use the On screen keyboard in conjunction with the input method editors (IMEs) on the language tool bar. Then you can simple touch type or click type with your mouse. This should work for any application.

I hope you had a happy Tu B'Shevat,
Brian

Thanks for the keyboard tip. Normally inputting Hebrew characters is no problem in my regular browser (Firefox). But I'm using Chrome right now. Other than inputting Hebrew and other languages, Google Chrome has a lot to commend itself. The speed is great. I think it beats all of the others (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc.) for speed.

I didn't really get to celebrate Tu B'Shevat this year. It was fun as a kid. We used to get to try a lot of Israeli fruits that we were unaccustomed to having here in North America. One such fruit was called "Johnny Bread" or "Johnny Fruit." (Don't quote me on the spelling.) It was a very different sort of fruit.

bkMitchell
01-31-2010, 09:29 PM
But I'm using Chrome right now. Other than inputting Hebrew and other languages, Google Chrome has a lot to commend itself. The speed is great. I think it beats all of the others (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc.) for speed.

I'll have to give Google Chrome a try, I will.

One such fruit was called "Johnny Bread" or "Johnny Fruit." (Don't quote me on the spelling.) It was a very different sort of fruit.Yes, חרוב(Ceratonia)is sometimes called, "St. John's bread"But, I am surprised the Frum inclined called it as such.

Post Script:
Sorry, but I had to quote you on that one, I did.

ISalzman
02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
I'll have to give Google Chrome a try, I will.

Yes, חרוב(Ceratonia)is sometimes called, "St. John's bread"But, I am surprised the Frum inclined called it as such.

Post Script:
Sorry, but I had to quote you on that one, I did.

In my hearing, they never included the "Saint." It was just called "Johnny bread."