PDA

View Full Version : New Search Limits Feature

MBushell
01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi All,

We just posted a new exe 8.0.015o with a new feature. It adds the ability to use a verse list file as a search limit. It is accessed just like custom search limits on the command line. For example from the command line:

l test.vls or
limit test.vls

will use the vls file as a search limit. It can be slow for files with lots of verses when the VLS file version is different from the search version because of verse mapping, but the remapping is buffered so it will speed up for subsequent searches.

The motivation was a user asking to sort the results list according to actual text of the hits. This can be done using this feature in a roundabout way:

1. Do the search
2. Export the hits to both a VLS and a word list IEL file. The former is done via the main window FILE menu. The latter is done using the Word List Manager.
3. Use the VLS file to set limits
4. Click on each hit in the word list file inside the Word List Manager to see where they were found.

The changes were rather significant to implement this so we need to be on the watch for problems. Let us know if you have any problems.

Mike Hi All,

We just posted a new exe 8.0.015o with a new feature. It adds the ability to use a verse list file as a search limit. It is accessed just like custom search limits on the command line. For example from the command line:

l test.vls or
limit test.vls

will use the vls file as a search limit. It can be slow for files with lots of verses when the VLS file version is different from the search version because of verse mapping, but the remapping is buffered so it will speed up for subsequent searches.

The motivation was a user asking to sort the results list according to actual text of the hits. This can be done using this feature in a roundabout way:

1. Do the search
2. Export the hits to both a VLS and a word list IEL file. The former is done via the main window FILE menu. The latter is done using the Word List Manager.
3. Use the VLS file to set limits
4. Click on each hit in the word list file inside the Word List Manager to see where they were found.

The changes were rather significant to implement this so we need to be on the watch for problems. Let us know if you have any problems.

Mike

Adelphos
01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm not able to retrieve o in the updater. My latest is n, and it tells me there are no new updates available.

MBushell
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm not able to retrieve o in the updater. My latest is n, and it tells me there are no new updates available.

It should be there now. The description of the patch was too long and it caused the updater to croak.

Adelphos
01-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Okay, I've played with it very briefly, and it is absoltuely awesome. I love this feature. If possible, I think you should also put it in the limits dialog box as option.

Also, if you get a chance, and since it would only take, what, fifteen or twenty seconds, could you put a "Close" button in the Ermie, on the same plane with the "More" button, only at the far right. ;)

EDIT: Disregard the option in the limits dialog request. I see now how it displays there.

MBushell
01-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Okay, I've played with it very briefly, and it is absoltuely awesome. I love this feature. If possible, I think you should also put it in the limits dialog box as option.

Also, if you get a chance, and since it would only take, what, fifteen or twenty seconds, could you put a "Close" button in the Ermie, on the same plane with the "More" button, only at the far right. ;)

EDIT: Disregard the option in the limits dialog request. I see now how it displays there.

We'll probably add a button in the limits dialog to browse VLS files. And we'll probably add a command line right click option to make the current results the new search limit (it would create a new VLS file for you). But we'll get user input before making more mods.

Adelphos
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
We'll probably add a button in the limits dialog to browse VLS files. And we'll probably add a command line right click option to make the current results the new search limit (it would create a new VLS file for you). But we'll get user input before making more mods.

Those two would be very nice.

MGVH
01-25-2010, 11:37 PM

That's a very helpful update. Adding those search limits options to the command line will indeed be helpful. It would also be helpful perhaps to add a button to the Word List Manager so that one doesn't have to go through the Load/Generate > Load highlighted words > Create list

OTOH...
I'm not quite sure what this is accomplishing beyond what I can already do. If I do a lemma search or search with a wildcard character, I end up with a list of words which I can use to generate the word list. Double clicking those words displays only those results. Ie, I don't need to set my limits based on the initial search verse list.

I can see where it might be useful to search with a VLS file limit, but given that "The motivation was a user asking to sort the results list according to actual text of the hits," am I missing how this isn't already possible?

MBushell
01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm not quite sure what this is accomplishing beyond what I can already do. If I do a lemma search or search with a wildcard character, I end up with a list of words which I can use to generate the word list. Double clicking those words displays only those results. Ie, I don't need to set my limits based on the initial search verse list.

What you are suggesting would only work for simple one word searches where the generated word list was from the same version as the search version. If the original search was an AND search, for example, clicking on the words in the word list would give a lot of hits not in the original results range.

arggem
01-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Mike!

This is a really cool feature!

Unfortunately, I don't keep my vls files in C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 8\ase,

I keep them in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\BibleWorks Data\ase.

So, when I type "l list.vls" in the comman line, it doesn't find anything and I get an "Invalid Search Limits parameter" error.

Is there any way to get it to change the path it looks in? Or do I need to move my stuff back to Progam files?

Note: I moved ase, notes and userdb to My Docs to make partial backups easier. Was that a bad thing to do?

MBushell
01-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Mike!

This is a really cool feature!

Unfortunately, I don't keep my vls files in C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 8\ase,

I keep them in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\BibleWorks Data\ase.

So, when I type "l list.vls" in the comman line, it doesn't find anything and I get an "Invalid Search Limits parameter" error.

Is there any way to get it to change the path it looks in? Or do I need to move my stuff back to Progam files?

Note: I moved ase, notes and userdb to My Docs to make partial backups easier. Was that a bad thing to do?

We used to permit users to change all the default directory locations but it turned out to be a programming and support nightmre. So we switched back to a static directory structure. So unfortunately my recommendation is to move the files back to their original locations.

Michael Hanel
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
We used to permit users to change all the default directory locations but it turned out to be a programming and support nightmre. So we switched back to a static directory structure. So unfortunately my recommendation is to move the files back to their original locations.

At the very least there are Syncing tools (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en) you can use to keep the BibleWorks\ase folder synced to a MyDocs\ase folder. If you did this, it might be the best of both worlds.

Adelphos
01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
At the very least there are Syncing tools (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en) you can use to keep the BibleWorks\ase folder synced to a MyDocs\ase folder. If you did this, it might be the best of both worlds.

Have you actually used this tool? It looks interesting, although I already have a program that works very well for me, i.e., EF Commander, but that program is a full blown file/folder/etc. manipulation program.

If you do use that tool from MS, could you post a screen shot of it?

Michael Hanel
01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
If you do use that tool from MS, could you post a screen shot of it?

Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buOIxhBMS9I&feature=related) of an older version of SyncToy, but it works basically the same as 2.1. I don't use it often enough to have any substantial comments to make. I just used it a couple of times to combine mp3s from multiple computers.

Adelphos
01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the link to the video. My program, EF Commander (http://www.efsoftware.com/cw/e.htm), does a better job.

arggem
01-26-2010, 06:00 PM
OK. Thanks Mike!

Hmmm, maybe. But I somehow end up with enough duplicate files on my HD as it is. I'm not sure I want to intentionally make more. :) We'll see. Thanks for the tip, Michael.

Adelphos
01-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Hmmm, maybe. But I somehow end up with enough duplicate files on my HD as it is. I'm not sure I want to intentionally make more.

Not that this solves your problem, but I have almost 500 files in my ASE folder, i.e., a TON of VLS and IEL files, and the total size of that folder is only 3.5 MB.

IOW, it's infinitely tiny relatively speaking, so duplicating the files shouldn't pose a problem size-wise.

arggem
01-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Not that this solves your problem, but I have almost 500 files in my ASE folder, i.e., a TON of VLS and IEL files, and the total size of that folder is only 3.5 MB.

IOW, it's infinitely tiny relatively speaking, so duplicating the files shouldn't pose a problem size-wise.

LOL! I just checked...I have 102 files in 528 KB! :) But space isn't the issue. That's what bigger hard drives were made for (I just put a 500 GB HD in my laptop! :rolleyes:).

I just worry about getting different versions of the same file. But, I guess that's the point about Syching software, huh?

I guess I need to check into that. I've never used them before. I just might have to try that. Or move stuff back where it belongs.:o

Either way, it's really not that big a deal. I'll do whatever it takes to be able to use this nifty feature!

Ben Spackman
01-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Dropbox is an excellent syncing program, cross-platform too (Mac, Windows, Linux.) 2 Gb free. I use it to syn my notes and such between my old Dell PC and my Macbook/Parallels setup.

If anyone wants to try it, drop me your email address. I can get 250 Mb free space if someone signs up for a free account from my referral :)