PDA

View Full Version : BW7 sluggish start

Gontroppo
01-15-2010, 07:04 PM
G'day
BW7 is very slow in starting for me.

I remember that we used to be told to ditch the ini file as a solution. But which file, please?

Adelphos
01-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I remember that we used to be told to ditch the ini file as a solution. But which file, please?

Erase BW700.INI which should be in your main BibleWorks folder. If that doesn't work, give your copy of BibleWorks to someone else. It is clearly not meant for you.

MBushell
01-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Gontroppo,

Make sure there are not backkground processes taking up a lot of time or system resources. For example, you could have an automatuc virus scanner running in the background. You could also defragment your drive and make sure you are not running out of either disk space of memory.

Mike

Gontroppo
01-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, folks.
Mike, does this mean that an automatic virus scanner, such as in Norton, should be turned off while BW is loading?

MBushell
01-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the quick replies, folks.
Mike, does this mean that an automatic virus scanner, such as in Norton, should be turned off while BW is loading?

No, but many anti-virus program schedule periodic disk scans. On many Microsoft OS's there are also indexing programs that run automatically (a real annoyance actually). It is OK to run BibleWorks while these background tasks are going but, but they do slow everything down while they are running. My point was that there are a ton of things, including a bady fragmented disk or low memnory, that can cause program to slow down.

Michael Hanel
01-16-2010, 10:42 AM
No, but many anti-virus program schedule periodic disk scans. On many Microsoft OS's there are also indexing programs that run automatically (a real annoyance actually). It is OK to run BibleWorks while these background tasks are going but, but they do slow everything down while they are running. My point was that there are a ton of things, including a bady fragmented disk or low memnory, that can cause program to slow down.

For what it's worth, I updated computers this Christmas and BibleWorks 8 has been super snappy ever since. But here's a case in point not related to BibleWorks at all. I had a fairly resource-demanding game on my computer that I used to play at college with no real problems (that was about 5 years ago). When I tried to play that same game on the same computer today, it would barely load and the play was so slow and jerky that it was unplayable. Now why would a game that used to play on the computer not play on it now? Answer: Over time computers slow down because of all the stuff we put on them. Sometimes you can get awesome performance upgrades by reinstalling your OS on the same computer (which many will not do because it's such a pain), but I'm just saying sometimes performance decreases over time aren't the programs fault, it's all the other stuff that gradually gunks up your computer.

vr8ce
01-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Most of the previous replies contain excellent advice. In addition, one thing that catches me periodically is a network drive that isn't available. I've always been mystified (but not mystified enough to ask :) ) as to why BW cares about such drives, but it does. Startup/Exit will take orders of magnitude longer in such instances; I just have to delete the network mapping and startup/exit goes back to being just a few seconds. So, in addition to everything else suggested, make sure you don't have a network drive assignment that isn't currently available.

christlove
02-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Most of the previous replies contain excellent advice. In addition, one thing that catches me periodically is a network drive that isn't available. I've always been mystified (but not mystified enough to ask :) ) as to why BW cares about such drives, but it does. Startup/Exit will take orders of magnitude longer in such instances; I just have to delete the network mapping and startup/exit goes back to being just a few seconds. So, in addition to everything else suggested, make sure you don't have a network drive assignment that isn't currently available.

Hey vr8ce,

this is quite interesting.....Since Iīve reinstalled BW, the path for my file is derived from a network drive which isnīt available. I also never had the program on the other computer. I donīt even know how the whole thing came to pass like it is now. You say that I have to delete the network mapping. I donīt know what that means....How do I do that? And by the way, I donīt have problems by starting BW. Since that, I strangely have problems by compiling databases. The compiling takes twice as much time than before.

christlove
02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Alright I fixed it! Not so long ago I must have experimented a little with the shutdown options and also tried the option "save full network paths in ini file" eventually. I figured it out as I read in the help section. You even find there that "use of this option will slow disk access somewhat". To read such an info in the help section is tremendous and encouraged me to initialize the ini file and reconfigure my settings. Now the database-compiling works fine.
So, if you anytime have problems with your speed make sure you never experimented with the option "save full network paths in ini file".