PDA

View Full Version : Bibleworks crashing again

Stephanus
01-14-2010, 08:22 AM
The latest update is crashing multiple computers with Win XP again!!!

MBushell
01-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Is anyone here on XP seeing the same problem?
Stephanus, are you running under German XP?

MBushell
01-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Stephanus,

What I recommend is reverting to an earlier version and then rerunning the updater. WE were messing yesterday with some XP security issues and you may not have the final fix. We have tried unsuccessfully to reproduce this problem but do not have s system running German XP.

If any of you have run the latest update (8.0.015i) successfully on XP please let me know. If there is a remaining issue here we'll get on it immediately.

Mike

Adelphos
01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
If any of you have run the latest update (8.0.015i) successfully on XP please let me know. If there is a remaining issue here we'll get on it immediately.

I am running the latest update (8.0.015i) successfully on my XP systems.

arggem
01-14-2010, 10:57 AM
15i on XP no problems.

MTan
01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Stephanus,

Could you please give us more information?

Are you running a client-server setup?
Are you running on a local machine, but from a limited user account?
What is the message you are seeing and when does it appear?
Have you applied the latest EXE patch from an Administrator account, ran the EXE, and shut doewn the EXE?
Thanks.
Michael

ISalzman
01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Stephanus,

What I recommend is reverting to an earlier version and then rerunning the updater. WE were messing yesterday with some XP security issues and you may not have the final fix. We have tried unsuccessfully to reproduce this problem but do not have s system running German XP.

Mike

Wow, that's weird. I see from your post, Mike, that the latest version of the program executable is 8.0.015i. I open up BW8 everyday and the automatic updater has not prompted me to update in a while. I am currently running 8.0.015e.1. Am I lagging behind? I'm a little wary of running a manual update with all of the recent chatter about the program "crashing." I am still on Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks.

markusw
01-14-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't know whether I'm having the same problem as Stephanus, but BibleWorks doesn't work for me anymore either. After applying the most recent update (i), BibleWorks shut down and upon restarting I got the message that "bwbits80.dll" is missing. It's not missing though: it's both in the program folder as well as in the system folder. However, I'm not able to launch BibleWorks anymore. When trying, I get a message telling me that the file can't be accessed and that I might not have the required rights to do so. I get the same message when trying to run "Reconfigure or Uninstall BibleWorks" or even just try to open any of the folders in the program folder.
I had exactly the same problem after applying one of the previous exe-updates (e). At that time I was about to reinstall Windows anyhow. So I did and after installing BibleWorks, a new patch was available (f). With that one (and the two ones after that) everything worked fine.
I'm running BibleWorks on Windows XP Professional. My account is the only user account and I'm the computer administrator. And I'm German. Maybe that's the problem ...

kennete
01-14-2010, 01:39 PM
I have the same problem as markusw had. I have run the latest update (8.0.015i) and it is crashing on my computer again

Stephanus
01-14-2010, 01:50 PM
After applying the most recent update (i), BibleWorks shut down and upon restarting I got the message that "bwbits80.dll" is missing. It's not missing though: it's both in the program folder as well as in the system folder. However, I'm not able to launch BibleWorks anymore. When trying, I get a message telling me that the file can't be accessed and that I might not have the required rights to do so. I get the same message when trying to run "Reconfigure or Uninstall BibleWorks" or even just try to open any of the folders in the program folder.
I had exactly the same problem after applying one of the previous exe-updates (e). At that time I was about to reinstall Windows anyhow. So I did and after installing BibleWorks, a new patch was available (f). With that one (and the two ones after that) everything worked fine.
I'm running BibleWorks on Windows XP Professional. My account is the only user account and I'm the computer administrator. And I'm German. Maybe that's the problem ...

That is exactly my problem. Markusw described it very well. It is not possible to do anything with bibleworks or in the bibleworks 8 folder.

Adelphos
01-14-2010, 01:52 PM
For those of you who can't get BW to start, hold down the SHIFT key while opening BW and then choose the option to revert to an earlier version.

Stephanus
01-14-2010, 02:05 PM
i forget something:

after showing the message, with the information about "bwbits80.dll" there was another one: "Canīt restore books.bna" and the same message for "books.bnb"

Stephanus
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
For those of you who can't get BW to start, hold down the SHIFT key while opening BW and then choose the option to revert to an earlier version.

thank you Scott.
But there is the same problem, even if I revert to an earlier version. I can not start BW.

MickZ
01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Dear BW-Team, a friend of mine has also problems with the latest patch - while installing the patches and after (we tried couple of times) BW8 always crashes at startup showing an error message that tells something like this (NOT the exact wording): "You do not have read/write permission for the Bibleworks directory please start again with administrator permission" despite we ran it within an administrator account and also tried "run as administrator" as option. He runs Win Vista Home Edition on an Medion Notebook; Turion 64x2 1,8 GHz, 2 GB RAM.

MickZ
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
I also installed the newest patch and as a result my BW8 is crashing, too! (I'm running it on Win XP (de) in an virtual machine [VirtualBox]) First I was experiencing some error messages like Stephanus - next time it didn't start at all and it seems like I lost every permission for the Bibleworks program directory... -- the little trick with the pressed SHIFTkey isn't working, since there is no way to start BW8 anymore - not via shortcuts nor with the program exe directly. >> Permission denied...

MBushell
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Is there anyone who is having the startup problem who is NOT on XP?
Mike

Adelphos
01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Is there anyone who is having the startup problem who is NOT on XP?

Notice that in the previous post MickZ related that one problem was on a Vista Home laptop.

MBushell
01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
One more question. Is there anyone with the problem who is NOT running on German XP?
Thanks,
Mike

MBushell
01-14-2010, 03:20 PM
One thing you can try is to copy the executable from your CD to the BW base directory. Then update as usual.

We had a good bit of trouble posting updates this afternoon. The internet connection broke several times during the updates and that may have compromised the files. We are still looking into it.

Mike

ISalzman
01-14-2010, 03:20 PM
I have the same problem as markusw had. I have run the latest update (8.0.015i) and it is crashing on my computer again

Peter Forsberg ('Foppa') told me he had the same problem. He will be wearing the Tre Kronor at the Olympics in February.

Adelphos
01-14-2010, 03:24 PM
We had a good bit of trouble posting updates this afternoon. The internet connection broke several times during the updates and that may have compromised the files. We are still looking into it.

I've updated three XP systems with j with no problems, so I don't think that's the culprit.

MBushell
01-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Those of you having the problem can you send the following info to me at mbushell@bibleworks.com:

1. Your Operating System version and default language
2. the type of account (administrator or limited user)
3. are you running as a remote user?

Thanks,
Mike

MBushell
01-14-2010, 03:43 PM
One more suggestion. If you are running remotely or in a limited account, try going to the BibleWorks main folder. Look int the INIT subfolder. If you are running from a limited account your should see a file named like this:

username.ini

wherer username would be your logon name.

If that file is there delete it and then try running BW.

Mike

kennete
01-14-2010, 03:46 PM
One more question. Is there anyone with the problem who is NOT running on German XP?
Thanks,
Mike

I,m running a Swedish xp

Ruben Gomez
01-14-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't know whether I'm having the same problem as Stephanus, but BibleWorks doesn't work for me anymore either. After applying the most recent update (i), BibleWorks shut down and upon restarting I got the message that "bwbits80.dll" is missing. It's not missing though: it's both in the program folder as well as in the system folder. However, I'm not able to launch BibleWorks anymore. When trying, I get a message telling me that the file can't be accessed and that I might not have the required rights to do so. I get the same message when trying to run "Reconfigure or Uninstall BibleWorks" or even just try to open any of the folders in the program folder.

Mike,

I had the same problem Markus explained running BW8 under Win XP Pro SP3 (Spanish) even though I had Administrator rights (and no remote user). I spent a whole afternoon trying to solve the problem on my own. Here's what I did:

Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - uncheck Use Simple File Sharing (last checkbox).

After doing that I could right-click on folders and files and use the Security tab and the Advanced Options for permissions.

I made sure I had total control of all the files in BW's directory and then I was able to update. It was a very unpleasant experience, but I am now running 8.0.015j.1 without any noticeable problem.

For the record, my other BW8 installation on a virtual machine with an English copy of Win XP Pro SP3 did not have any of the problems described in this thread.

Hope this helps.

MTan
01-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Ruben,

When you changed the permissions, do you recall if Full Control was given (or not given) for the groups Everyone, Users, & Administrators?

To all others affected:
We made some changes to make it easier for Limited User accounts to run BibleWorks, but it appears that some non-English systems are having folder Security permissions messed up by this new patch. If you look at the folder Security tab properties for the BibleWorks 8 folder, you need to have Full Control (read, write, delete) permissions for Administrators and all Users.

To see the Security tab permissions, you have to turn off "Simple file sharing", as Ruben points out:

Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - uncheck Use Simple File Sharing (last checkbox).

Once that is enabled, you need to right-click on the Program Files\BibleWorks 8 folder, select Properties, and click the Security tab.

After that, you need to grant Full Control to Everyone, Users, Administrators, and Current user.

Then, you need to restore an old EXE. In your BibleWorks 8 folder, there should be a file with a name like "8.0.015c-BW800lg.exe". Rename the existing "bw800.exe" to "do_not_use-bw800.exe", and make a new copy of the file named "8.0.015c-BW800lg.exe" and name it "bw800.exe". This should enable things to be running from a previous version of the EXE.

We are very sorry for this problem and are working hard on a fix.
Thanks for bearing with us.

Michael

Ruben Gomez
01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Ruben,

When you changed the permissions, do you recall if Full Control was given (or not given) for the groups Everyone, Users, & Administrators?

To be quite honest, I don't remember what the settings were. I think everyone had full control, but I'm not 100% sure. Sorry.

I did uncheck the inherit permissions options (or something to that effect), and left just me with full control.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for your help.

MBushell
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I just posted a new exe that should be sase (8.0.015k.2). The security fixes that we were trying to add have been removed until we figure out what is going on. But ig you had a problem you will still have to set the read-write permissions of the BW folder as Michael Tan outlined above.

In case you are curious about the problem we were trying to address it has to do with users trying to run BW from a limited account under XP. It didn't work for non-English OS installations. Back to the drawing board on that.

Mike

Adelphos
01-14-2010, 07:17 PM
FWIW...

The latest update, k, crashed after I first updated it, but when I tried to open BW again afterwords, it worked fine. IOW, the update crashed, but it did update, and all I had to do was reopen.

This just shows you how convoluted all of the security measures have become.

I think from now on we should all just join the NSA Cryptography/Analysis Section and go from there.

ISalzman
01-14-2010, 08:50 PM
I think from now on we should all just join the NSA Cryptography/Analysis Section and go from there.

Wow, I think I'm now recommending you as Obama's next Homeland Security Czar, in addition to your new English grammar cabinet post!

MTan
01-15-2010, 05:12 PM
This is hopefully fixed in the patch discussed here:
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4358

Adelphos
01-15-2010, 05:54 PM

While I haven't needed the fix, the fact that you guys went to all this trouble and produced a file which saves one from re-installation is yet another feather in your cap...

Davey Crocketts, one and all, I say! Yessir. One and all!

MBushell
01-15-2010, 09:14 PM
That's high praise indeed Scott. I grew up in Texas and Davey Crockett is a Texas hero (remember the Alamo?).

Adelphos
01-15-2010, 09:30 PM
That's high praise indeed Scott. I grew up in Texas and Davey Crockett is a Texas hero (remember the Alamo?).

If the REAL Davey Crockett (Fess Parker) had been at the Alamo, us Texans would have won.

Growing up in Texas you know what an Aggie is. That's what I are.

ISalzman
01-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey Mike, I am currently running version or build 8.0.015e.1. Oddly, the automatic updater hasn't prompted me to update in quite a while (although the option to automatically update is still checked under 'Updater Options.'). I'm not horrendously worried by that since I can always update manually. Nevertheless, it is strange that I would suddenly stop getting prompted by the automatic updater to update.

Vis-a-vis manually updating, I've been a little leery about doing so in light of all the reports of the program crashing (though I have an American copy of Windows XP). Should I update manually? And, intuitively, is there any reason why I would have stopped receiving the prompts to update? Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Irving

Stephanus
01-16-2010, 02:59 AM

Dear BW-Staff,

thank you for doing such a great job!!! Iīm very happy to own BW and to know, that you guys stand behind the program!

God bless you!

MBushell
01-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Hey Mike, I am currently running version or build 8.0.015e.1. Oddly, the automatic updater hasn't prompted me to update in quite a while (although the option to automatically update is still checked under 'Updater Options.'). I'm not horrendously worried by that since I can always update manually. Nevertheless, it is strange that I would suddenly stop getting prompted by the automatic updater to update.

Vis-a-vis manually updating, I've been a little leery about doing so in light of all the reports of the program crashing (though I have an American copy of Windows XP). Should I update manually? And, intuitively, is there any reason why I would have stopped receiving the prompts to update? Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Irving

The latest update should get the automatic updater working again. The problem code has been removed so updates should be safe now. The only problems we saw were on non-English versions of XP sho you should be safe.
Mike

MBushell
01-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Scott,

I went to Texas Tech and The University of Texas, so the Aggies (if you mean Texas A&M) were arch-rivals.

Actually the Alamo was a huge victory for the Texans. It delayed the Mexican army long enough for Sam Houston to gather his forces.

Adelphos
01-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Scott,

I went to Texas Tech and The University of Texas, so the Aggies (if you mean Texas A&M) were arch-rivals.

Actually the Alamo was a huge victory for the Texans. It delayed the Mexican army long enough for Sam Houston to gather his forces.

Yeah, I mean Texas A&M, and I can remember the times in Austin and Lubbock. I suppose you also got by San Antonio to take a look at the Alamo. It's kind of nostalgic standing there, knowing its history and that it didn't happen all that long ago.

MBushell
01-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I mean Texas A&M, and I can remember the times in Austin and Lubbock. I suppose you also got by San Antonio to take a look at the Alamo. It's kind of nostalgic standing there, knowing its history and that it didn't happen all that long ago.

Yes, I have been to the Alamo, and also to San Jacinto down around Houston. I miss the clear skies and far horizons in west Texas. Too many trees here in Virginia.

Adelphos
01-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Yes, I have been to the Alamo, and also to San Jacinto down around Houston. I miss the clear skies and far horizons in west Texas. Too many trees here in Virginia.

Trees are nice, except when you have them, and flatlands are nice, except when you have them.

I must say, when I lived in Houston in circa 1980, day-to-day life was not much different than the Alamo, Dodge City, and you name it. It is still the only city I've ever been in when at 3 o'clock in the morning you hit bumper-to-bumper traffic just to get to the Sevel-Eleven, assuming you didn't hit anything else in the meantime.

ISalzman
01-16-2010, 08:46 PM
The latest update should get the automatic updater working again. The problem code has been removed so updates should be safe now. The only problems we saw were on non-English versions of XP sho you should be safe.
Mike

Thanks Mike.

roel schipper
01-18-2010, 06:11 AM
I had exactly the same problem as Markusw describes. (I use WinXP home SP2)
But M.Tan's mail of 1-15-2010 solved my problem! (version . . . 15k2)

Roel

csickler
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks,
Mike
I am using XP and the US version of Bibleworks and I am now unable to use BW8 after the most recent update.

Adelphos
08-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Hold down the shift key while starting BW and revert to an earlier version. You should contact BW tecnical support in the meantime.