PDA

View Full Version : Numbers in brackets wont display

christlove
01-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Hey!

I just work on a translation and want to put Numbers in brackets. I know it has something to do with the box "superscripts" and/or in the box "Notes" the setting "End Notes". Is there any way to keep those two features on and also make numbers in brackets visible?

Hope this is not only a problem for me as I use BW 6. Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!
Steffen

Michael Hanel
01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
By brackets do you mean <> or []?

the former may be prevented from being because they interfere with notes. To see them once you've compiled, click on the browse window and type "n" that toggles Notes on and off. I believe the [] are used for italics, but I can't remember.

Mark Eddy
01-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Michael's memory is pretty good. <> are used to introduce notes. {} surround endnotes. [] turn words into italics. In a Greek database the characters and display as [ and ] sometimes, depending on what follows. In English databases they just display as and . As far as I know the programmers have not revealed the secret of how they get square brakets to display in their databases, but we cannot do the same in a user database. Another caveat, when you add numbers to a text, they are counted as a word, and so they can throw searches off after your database is compiled. So you may wish to reconsider your plans.
Mark Eddy

christlove
01-14-2010, 05:50 AM
By brackets do you mean <> or []?

I expressed myself too inconclusive. I meant () those brackets.

To see them once you've compiled, click on the browse window and type "n" that toggles Notes on and off.

Yes! I just fixed it. You were right. Just wanted to ask where that feature is but find it a few seconds ago. It works. Thx for all regards, mates.

Be blessed.
Steffen

Glenn Weaver
01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
If you want to show brackets in the version text, there are two ways to do it:

1) Select the option not to use italics, or
2) use two brackets next to each other, like [[ and ]]

christlove
01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
So Glenn, I can see the brackets if i put two next to each other but not the number inside. I only see "()" cause its a bracket in a bracket but the number is still invisible......

Glenn Weaver
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi Steffen,

Without looking at the file it is impossible for me to know why it appears that way. My guess is that you have the parenthesis and numbers within a notes tag. In that case, the notes tag info will only appear if the notes are displayed.

I would be glad to look at the file if you would like to send it to me. My email is gweaver, followed by @ and bibleworks.com.

Blessings,
Glenn

Mark Eddy
01-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Glenn: Thanks for the tips.
Steffen: in America we call () "parentheses." That is why the rest of us were confused. We call the square [] or angular <> brackets "brackets".
Mark Eddy

christlove
01-15-2010, 05:10 AM
My guess is that you have the parenthesis and numbers within a notes tag. In that case, the notes tag info will only appear if the notes are displayed.

Yeah, thats also what Michael has figured out. Due to the translation I edit the box "Notes" is changed to "End Notes" and the "superscripts"-box is also activated (Version Database Compiler -> dont miss! BW 6). So if I toggle displaying the notes I can see or even not see the "parenthesis" with the numbers inside, thats right. I just wanted to know whether theres possibly an other way to make them display (?). So, if theres no other way to display with the mentioned features on I will lay that problem down for now and search later for a solution. Just let me know if there is a way.

Steffen: in America we call () "parentheses." That is why the rest of us were confused. We call the square [] or angular <> brackets "brackets".

Ohh, now I understand... Thx Mark

Thx for all responding,

stay blessed.
Steffen

Glenn Weaver
01-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Hi Steffen,

I really would have to look at the file to see how you are entering the text before I could figure out a way to do something else with it. Even a few verses of the file that contain the text that you want to display differently should be enough.

christlove
01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Alright, I just send you an e-mail with two screenshots about the problem...

Thanx a lot, dude.

Steffen