PDA

View Full Version : What is the solution for teenage sprituality and solitude?

andrewan
01-06-2010, 05:14 AM
My son has been seeking solitude and influenced by internet writings of Hinduism and spirituality.I dont know how to tackle it as he prefers to be alone and he is introvert. Recently he shifted place of residence.
If somebody can tell me how to tackle it ,I would be grateful.
Has any body seen such cases?

bobvenem
01-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Just like I figured; "Andrew" is a spambot.

Michael Hanel
01-06-2010, 09:59 AM

But wouldnt it be cool to convert a spambot? :p

bobvenem
01-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Dr. Turing would be spinning in his grave.

bkMitchell
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Hey Andrew Ansel or whoever you are,

Who do you ya wanna be today?

You've already been:
1. a game/electronic developer (link) (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4331)
2. a troubled agnostic or atheist (link)
(http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4334)3. a concerned father (current tread)

So, what's next for ya?

Dan Phillips
01-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Hey Andrew Ansel or whoever you are,

Who do you ya wanna be today?

In Disneyland?

jimofbentley
01-08-2010, 10:00 PM

And what if he isn't?

I have already read replies that are:

vicious
sarcastic
rejecting
mocking

If this is/was a real person, what would he think about "religious" people? :confused:

MWMiles
01-09-2010, 04:07 AM
My son has been seeking solitude and influenced by internet writings of Hinduism and spirituality.I dont know how to tackle it as he prefers to be alone and he is introvert. Recently he shifted place of residence.
If somebody can tell me how to tackle it ,I would be grateful.
Has any body seen such cases?

So, what's wrong with solitude? And if he wants to read Hindu writings, that's his call, huh? We all get to choose for ourselves.

What are you trying to tackle? Are you trying to make him into an extrovert, to move back home/away from home or what?

Be grateful that you have a kid that isn't in some sort of real trouble.

And what if he isn't?

I have already read replies that are:

vicious
sarcastic
rejecting
mocking

If this is/was a real person, what would he think about "religious" people? :confused:

He'd probably think that we all thought he was a spambot, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt for your benefit. And thinking that he's a spambot would be a valid train of thought considering the previous posts that this banned entity has posted. You're not supposed to pass judgment, but discernment is a very handy tool.

If he wasn't a banned entity then I'm guessing that his next post would have been something to do with cash4gold.

BTW, how did he get banned? None of us here in ethernet~land did it. Must be some reason that BibleWorks did it...eh?

bkMitchell
01-09-2010, 08:02 AM

Thank you for being the voice of reason. You have a good point.

However, on the last thread started by this individual in question two senior forum members (Adelphos and Joshua) did take the time to write serious and substantial replies to him in a spirit of Christian love. If andrewan is for real I would expect him to reply to the two forum members who really reached out to him. He/she could have for all I know but I doubt this. Still, you have a point.

Post script
I should,also mention that MWMiles also wrote something of value to him as well on this tread as well as the last.

Adelphos
01-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Holy Spirit says --

"...and be ready ALWAYS to give an answer to EVERY man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is IN YOU..." 1 Peter 3:15

The Greek is of course aei and panti respectively for the first two bolded words above.

I also know that "the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

In other words, a genuine testimony coupled with the Word of God sometimes -- all dependant on the will of God -- has converting power even in those who approach the gospel with a mocking attitude.

I have seen people arrested in their tracks by Jesus Christ when they had no intention beforehand of receiving grace.

In fact, there is a great story about George Whitefield concerning this type of thing.

Whitefield was slated to preach in an open field -- and his sermons in this type of venue typically drew crowds of thirty thousand or more, sometimes as much as eighty thousand -- and one old boy decided that he would stop by to hear Whitefield preach before he made his way to the tavern to carouse with his friends. His motive, by his own words, was to pick up a couple of phrases from Whitefield so that he could make fun of Whitefield and Christianity later with his friends in the tavern.

Well, lo and behold, after the sermon started, this man found himself hemmed in by the monstrous crowd, and when he wanted to leave, he discovered that he was utterly unable to do so because the crowd was so thick and pressing. Consequently, he was forced to remain for the whole sermon.

Somewhere during that time, as it turns out, the Holy Spirit came down on him in power and he was converted to Jesus Christ.

He later sought out an appointment with George Whitefield and related this story to him and other witnessess.

This man, who had intended to mock the gospel of Jesus Christ and one of Jesus Christ's ministers, was in fact arrested by Jesus Christ on the spot and given eternal life in spite of himself.

As I said, I've seen similar things happen before, so adherence to 1 Peter 3:15 is never out of vogue, and who knows, every once in a while it may set the angels to rejoicing in heaven.

Michael Hanel
01-09-2010, 02:27 PM
I have seen people arrested in their tracks by Jesus Christ when they had no intention beforehand of receiving grace.

One might just as easily cite Paul. However, from my idea of spambots, there isn't actually a person who is posting or paying any attention, it's fairly automated.

Adelphos
01-09-2010, 02:34 PM
One might just as easily cite Paul. However, from my idea of spambots, there isn't actually a person who is posting or paying any attention, it's fairly automated.

True, but the message is not for the spambot only. Who knows how many unconverted souls are reading?

bobvenem
01-10-2010, 04:20 PM
If you were to Google the name "andrewan," you would find a fair number of blog posts on a wide variety of subjects, all made on or about December 31st, and all with similarly written questions and bad grammar (and no followup responses). This is classic spambot scripting.

Adelphos does have a point, though: "Let the redeemed of the Lord say so" doesn't have a particular audience or timeframe listed in the context.

bkMitchell
01-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Holy Spirit says --

"...and be ready ALWAYS to give an answer to EVERY man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is IN YOU..." 1 Peter 3:15

The Greek is of course aei and panti respectively for the first two bolded words above.

I also know that "the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

In other words, a genuine testimony coupled with the Word of God sometimes -- all dependant on the will of God -- has converting power even in those who approach the gospel with a mocking attitude.

Amen to that Adelphos,

I have seen this to be true! This situation definitely has me feeling a lot more reflective and in need of putting (2Timothy 2:15) and (1 Peter 3:15) into practice more, myself.