PDA

View Full Version : Compiling Multiple Bibleworks on to one computer

Sansom48
12-07-2009, 12:27 PM
alright, I know that you can take the chapter notes and so forth from BibleWorks and then place them into the folders of a different install, but can you do this with multiple computers into one. OK, here is my situation, the past few years I have gone through a number of computers, three in total, all three are not going to be around long, but I have a new one that will be around for awhile (God willing of course, you just never know with computers), but I have notes that I wrote in all three computers, I would like to keep them if at all possible, I know you can do this with one computer to another, but can I do it with all three, placing the correct files into the folder, will BBW install all of my notes, or only from one computer?

Michael Hanel
12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
alright, I know that you can take the chapter notes and so forth from BibleWorks and then place them into the folders of a different install, but can you do this with multiple computers into one. OK, here is my situation, the past few years I have gone through a number of computers, three in total, all three are not going to be around long, but I have a new one that will be around for awhile (God willing of course, you just never know with computers), but I have notes that I wrote in all three computers, I would like to keep them if at all possible, I know you can do this with one computer to another, but can I do it with all three, placing the correct files into the folder, will BBW install all of my notes, or only from one computer?

The simple answer is no. Here's the problem. If you have three sets of notes and you copy them by hand into one folder, Windows will say a duplicate file exists and you will need to decide either to overwrite or not copy whatever file.

I only have a few ideas for solutions, but they may take some time depending on how much stuff you have in notes. When you copy files over, open your folder in Windows so you can see all the file details (how big the file is, when it was last edited, etc.) (this can be changed by the Views: Details icon in the Windows folder). This way you can quickly delete notes which have no content at all or see which ones will be the most problematic as far as copying goes.

Another way to deal with this is to look for a a merging program to try to merge your files. I confess I don't know exactly how well this would work or if it would be less laborious than another way of doing this, but if you google a program like Monkey Merge (http://www.download3k.com/System-Utilities/File-Disk-Management/Download-Monkey-Merge.html) (there are other programs but that's one I know off the top of my head), the program is supposed to be able to merge text documents. Since BibleWorks note files are formatted the same as RTF files (even though they have a different .EXTension), you might be able to use that program to do this. (your other alternative would be just to open up duplicate files manually and do the merging yourself).

For the future, if you plan to run a multiple computer set up and know you want to keep your notes together, use a program like DropBox (https://www.dropbox.com/) on all computers and make sure you set your BibleWorks notes directory as one to be shared on DropBox.

Adelphos
12-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Actually, there is an easier way to do this...

Simply rename your "notes" folders, each with a different name, and then put them in the BW folder. Now, from within BW notes, you can swap folders with the folder button.

Michael Hanel
12-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Actually, there is an easier way to do this...

Simply rename your "notes" folders, each with a different name, and then put them in the BW folder. Now, from within BW notes, you can swap folders with the folder button.

True, but assuming the goal is to "merge" all the notes together, that wouldn't quite do the trick. I guess it depends what Chris is after.

Sansom48
12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Thank You for both of your suggestions. I will actually tr to use Monkey Merge or something like that when I get to it, but the DropBox I have already put to good use, now just to make sure that the rest of it goes well.