PDA

View Full Version : Synopsis Tool Enhancement

Adelphos
12-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I suspect that not too many people use the Synopsis Tool very often (I would love to be proved wrong on that), but I do use it frequently.

I consider it to be a very useful tool, but I also consider it to be very bland. IOW, I would like to see it spruced up a bit.

For one thing, when you first open it, the first pane is so narrow that it's useless until you drag it to make it bigger. I would like to see the new drag location saved so that when you open it in the future it would open the way you had it last.

I would also like to see a toolbar, especially for editing/saving/running and so forth, as I do a fair amount of that stuff.

Can I get any Amens on this?

bobvenem
12-01-2009, 07:38 PM
I use it regularly, as well (at least I did until it started mysteriously crashing every time I try to open it), and find it rather cludgy for changing versions, and synchronizing parallel verses.

Adelphos
12-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I use it regularly, as well (at least I did until it started mysteriously crashing every time I try to open it), and find it rather cludgy for changing versions, and synchronizing parallel verses.

I think the tool takes quite a bit of memory, as it used to crash frequently on my last computer, which only had 1 gig of RAM. As long as you have 2 gig or more, and assuming you're not running a program that hogs alot of resources, the ST runs pretty good. I would just like to see it improved a bit.

Vernon Bauer
12-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks, Scott, for introducing this thread.

I use the Synopsis Tool often. I really like the fact that we the users can build our own parallel constructions, or modify those created by others. The ability to customize in this way is very powerful. Seeing things side-by-side is very helpful to me.

One feature I would like to see added to the ST also involves that narrow pane at the top where the unit titles are displayed. I would like to be able to scroll through these titles one after another using just the up and down cursor keys. IOW, clicking in this title pane would not only select and display the parallel contents associated with that title, but would also activate that pane so the up/down cursor keys would allow one to navigate to the next (or the previous) title automatically displaying the contents.

This particular feature was present in one of the earlier vesions of BW, I believe it was version 6 (or may 5). I wish we could get that feature restored in version 8, and those still with version 7 might like it added also.

Vernon

Precha1
12-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Can I get any Amens on this?

Even though I am not savvy when it comes to BW8, nor am I as computer literate as I want or need to be I can easily say, "AMEN" to this Scott. :)

Mark Eddy
12-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Another reason for crashes such as this is if the synopsis definition file (.sdf) you were using when you last closed the synopsis tool had syntax problems, i.e. it contains some wrong punctuation or some wrong book name abbreviations or some verse numbers which do not exist. In those cases BW looks for what is printed in the .sdf file, and if it does have instructions on how to deal with it, BW crashes.
The only solution I know for this is, with BW shut down, to open your BW800.ini file in the main BW8 folder (or the BW700.ini file for BW7) and Find the line which lists the current synopsis file. It should look smething like this:
LastSynopsisFile=c:\program files\bibleworks 8\init\ot.sdf
The current synopsis file is listed after the last back-slash. You can change it to aland.sdf (because I know that one works). After saving the file, launch BW again, and open your synopsis tool. I suspect that it will work properly. If it does not, then perhaps Adelphos has the solution. If it does work, you can open the offending file and Edit it to correct syntax problems. (Hints: replace any commas with semicolons, and you can't have any cross-chapter references; each chapter has to have its own reference. You also currently can't have biblical and nonbiblical books in the same .sdf file when the Synopsis tool opens. You can use those e.g. that compare the Apostolic Fathers to the Bible, but be sure you switch to a biblical synopsis file before you close down the synopsis tool.)
Mark Eddy

gwhittick
12-03-2009, 02:25 AM
I only started using this feature within the past couple of weeks, and was impressed by the number of uses there are for it when I started poking around among the .sdf files that come with BW8. When I tried using it for an exegesis paper I'm working on in the Synoptics, however, I ended up having to photocopy the relevant pages from the library copy of the Aland Synopsis. The reasons were:
1) The BW synopsis only really aligns at pericope level, so it isn't very easy to identify where one gospel has unique content or omits material.
2) It isn't very easy to switch between versions (for example, Greek and English versions). I suspect I might be able to sort this by messing around with the relevant .sdf file when I get time.
3) I couldn't highlight words/phrases to identify which were unique to the passage I am studying using three or four different highlight colours, which is why I ended up doing it the old-fashioned way.

From what I've seen, however, the other Bible software packages don't implement this feature all that well either. I do find it useful as a "first-pass" tool, but for more detailed work I found I had to go back to paper and colour-coding with pens, so any enhancements would be welcome from my point of view.

I am delighted with BW8 though!