PDA

View Full Version : Search: Words in BNT for Scheduled Study

Leabeater
11-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I have two questions

First, when I perform a search on the number of words in the BNT from the command line (.*) it only allows me to display and export the chapter results - not the number of words in the book (which is displayed but not exportable).

How is this export accomplished?

Secondly, I'd like to determine from the above search the book, chapter, and verse of each word and export this as well.

The purpose of this search is to divide a book or books evenly across a calendar year for scheduled study. Naturally, I could accomplish this manually but I would like to automate the task and learn more about the command line in the process.

MGVH
11-27-2009, 11:28 PM
I'll answer your first question re: finding # of words in a book.

Use a morphological version BNM or BGM (not BNT or BGT)
If you search for .* it will return number of VERSES w/ hits
If you search for .*@* it will return the number of WORDS (For the whole NT, note that this will take some time for the search to run.)
You could run this search for each book individually, but a better option is to use the "Stats" sub-tab in the Analysis pane.
In the Stats tab, use # hits in bk
Under the Options (green box to the right), choose Detail Level, and you can then choose, book (which is what you want), chapter or verse.

Leabeater
11-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Mark:

Thank you for your help.

BNM or BGM both work with .*@* and result in the same counts. It takes about 45 seconds on a 64bit quad core.
Divided evenly over a calendar year a NT study would cover 378 words per day.
Though labor intensive the Copy menu does not provide for copying the verse word counts included in the search: http://www.wallstreetbear.com/biblos/bibliology/bibleworks_notes/091125.png
So now the question is how to count every 378 (378.137 to be precise)words using the above (or functionally same) .*@* command.

If I use the Command Line .*@* *378 with BGM Bibleworks 8 crashes. :eek: