PDA

View Full Version : BW6 and networks

ptd99uk
08-26-2004, 06:41 AM
Greetings in Jesus' name!

I've recently purchased BW6 and had it installed on the laptop provided for me by the theological college where I work. At work, this laptop gets connected to a network with various safeguards. This means I must get the system administrator to perfom updates to BW6, etc.

My problem is that, whenever I restart BW6, it begins as though I am a first-time user, with all the various splash-screens I've elected not to see again. Even after having chosen my search and display versions, default settings for lexicons, etc. and saved them as a .BWW file, when I reload that file, I am still just taken back to Gen. 1:1, with none of my preferences loaded.

Presumably the network setup is hindering BW6's writing of configuration files - the system administrator was wondering if BW6 writes directly to the registry, which is sometimes that is definitely prohibited in our set-up. Please note that BW6 is not installed on the whole network, as I'm the only one who uses it (and has paid for it!). It's just on my machine, but my machine is affected by the network safeuards.

Please excuse me if this is the wrong forum for raising this issue, but any help would be very much appreciated. thank you and God bless you.

Peter

Joe Fleener
08-26-2004, 07:16 AM
I've recently purchased BW6 and had it installed on the laptop provided for me by the theological college where I work. At work, this laptop gets connected to a network with various safeguards. This means I must get the system administrator to perfom updates to BW6, etc.
It is possible that you do not have permissions to write to the BW directories. BW does not write to the regestry, rather it stores all of its configuration settings in an .ini file bw600.ini.

This file is written to the Windows directory. BW also writes other information to the BibleWorks 6 directory under Program Files.

Therefore if you are going to run BW localy on your machine as a user other than administrator you will need permissions to read/write to the BibleWorks 6 directory and to the bw600.ini file located in the Windows directory.

My problem is that, whenever I restart BW6, it begins as though I am a first-time user, with all the various splash-screens I've elected not to see again. Even after having chosen my search and display versions, default settings for lexicons, etc. and saved them as a .BWW file, when I reload that file, I am still just taken back to Gen. 1:1, with none of my preferences loaded.
With what is stated above, your settings are not stored in the .BWW file. Rather they are stored in the .ini file. If you do have the permissions stated above, but are still experiencing this problem check you option flag setting.

From within BW:

1. Go to tools - options - Option Flags (tab)

2. Under "Shutdown Options" ensure that "Save setup options on exit" IS checked and "Initialize INI file on exit" is NOT checked.

I hope this helps.

ptd99uk
08-26-2004, 09:56 AM
Thanks Joe, everything is working properly now. Your help is very much appreciated.