PDA

View Full Version : System hang-up

Yaku Lee
11-12-2009, 02:27 AM
System hang-up

When “Mat 28:21” or any other verse reference beyond the actual verse range is typed on the CL, then “Could not find the verse reference etc.” error message is displayed. And that is to be expected. The same thing happens when “Mar 16:21” is typed on CL, for instance. However, when “Mar 16:20” is referenced either on CL or in any other way, then the system hangs up. And it is very difficult to get out of the system hang-up. I can view Mar 16:20 in browse mode, but I cannot refer to it.

Do you have the same problem?

Thank you.

jimofbentley
11-12-2009, 03:17 AM
Sorry that I can not be of help, but mine works fine.

I thought at first that perhaps you had "search limits" set, but that doesn't seem to impact on references from the CL.

arggem
11-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Hmmm, works fine here, too.

I don't know if any other this matters, but more information can't hurt:

What version of BibleWorks are you using?
What Bible version are you searching?
What operating system?

Yaku Lee
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
I do thank you for your response, jimofbentley and arggem.

I am running BW8 on MS XP (Professional K, Version 2002, Service Pack 3). After your kind responses, I experimented with some search versions other than the one that caused me the whole trouble. And as you said, everything was OK! But with NAU as the search version and typing “mar 16:20” on CL, everything freezes completely! Perhaps something is strange with NAU. And of course I have not experimented with all the other versions. But if something is not right with NAU, is there any guarantee that all the rest of them are OK?

Thank you very much.

Adelphos
11-12-2009, 11:47 AM
But with NAU as the search version and typing “mar 16:20” on CL, everything freezes completely! Perhaps something is strange with NAU.

Yes, something is strange with NAU. My system doesn't freeze, but when I set NAU as my search version and then type "mar 16:20" it takes me to Mark 16:8. It now gives me Mark 16:8 PLUS Mark 16:20, all together in one reference.

Mark Eddy
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Yes, something is strange with NAU. My system doesn't freeze, but when I set NAU as my search version and then type "mar 16:20" it takes me to Mark 16:8. It now gives me Mark 16:8 PLUS Mark 16:20, all together in one reference.
This should not hang the system, unless you have a very slow processor or are low on memory.

In NAU the "short ending" of Mark is at the end of Mark 16:20. In the BGT it is at the end of Mark 16:8. So these two verses are mapped together in BibleWorks, so that you can see the Greek and English in the same browse window. This "strange" feature is intentional. If you have a lot of active browse versions, it will take longer for BW to load both verses in all the versions. But it should not cause the program to hang. It does not cause problems on my computers.

If you do not wish to see the translation for the "short ending" of Mark with verse 8, you can open the verse map editor and remove the line for this mapping in NAU. But I think you'll want to keep it.
Mark Eddy

jimofbentley
11-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I do thank you for your response, jimofbentley and arggem.

I am running BW8 on MS XP (Professional K, Version 2002, Service Pack 3). After your kind responses, I experimented with some search versions other than the one that caused me the whole trouble. And as you said, everything was OK! But with NAU as the search version and typing “mar 16:20” on CL, everything freezes completely! Perhaps something is strange with NAU. And of course I have not experimented with all the other versions. But if something is not right with NAU, is there any guarantee that all the rest of them are OK?

Thank you very much.

This is strange. I am running the same, but have no problem in NAU.

Even the problem Adelphos mentioned about BW going to Mark 16:8 doesn't occur on mine. It went straight to Mark 16:20 as it should.

Yaku Lee
11-13-2009, 02:23 AM
I think I owe to all of you kind respondents to report my experience with “mar 16 20” on CL.

Because of some other vexing annoyances, I removed “bw800.ini” from “\BibleWorks 8” directory files. Then I started BW as usual and went through my favorite initial settings, also as I do usually. After referencing a few verses other than “mar 16 20” from CL with NAU as the search version, I cautiously typed “mar 16 20.” Now all my main problem is gone and the browse window opened beautifully, only with one strange, perhaps expected, thing--i.e. NAU showed only verse 20 with “And they promptly reported …of eternal salvation” attached at the end, but all the other display versions showed verses 8 and 20 combined. And I think I can understand this phonomemon. (I have all the English versions, all the Greek TR and critical versions, all the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean versions and some others on the browse window.)

Thanks to your help and encouragement, my headache is gone. Thank you all.