PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a specialized search in BibleWorks 7

ghjohnson
11-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I am trying to search BibleWorks 7 to find out if there are any remnants of a case system in Hebrew (yes, I've read the grammars, but wanted to do my own search). I have used the GSE to search for all nouns ending in yod with an AND NOT merge box linked to a Word box that searches for all nouns ending with a 1cs suffix. I think that this should give me the correct data, but it does not. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? (Results should give me all noun forms ending in yod where that yod does NOT represent the 1cs pronoun suffix).
Thank you!

Ben Spackman
11-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I think you've ordered every verse with a noun ending in yod that also lacks any nouns with a 1cs suffix.

Instead of inverting (NOT) the merge box, invert the word box specifying nouns with 1cs suffix.

That generates a list of nouns ending in yod that aren't 1cs suffixes.

I added a second negated word box to eliminate construct plural and duals.

That generates a nice big list with lots of III-weak words, and perhaps some of what you're looking for as well.

ghjohnson
11-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I think that this does put me closer to what I wanted -- thanks!
Is there any way to eliminate the III-weak nouns? Also, is there a reason that my search results are highlighting every word in the verses displayed (1658 of them) rather than just the final yod nouns?
Thanks again!

Ben Spackman
11-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Make sure in your inverted wordboxes that you have "suppres highlighting" checked.

You can eliminate III-weaks by adding a third negation box and where it asks for the word do [hy]*

That should eliminate them.

Of course, we may also be unwittingly eliminating some of what you're looking for. Can't be helped, I guess :rolleyes: