PDA

View Full Version : Chrysostom/Romans -- Index problem

arggem
11-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Hey all!

When I click on the "index" for "The homilies of St. John Chrysostom on Paul's Epistle to the Romans" and then click on one of the reference numbers in the index, I get "This program cannot display the webpage".

The other indexes (indices? indexi?) seem to work ok.

Anyone else have this problem? or am I doing something wrong.

Has it already been reported to support?

If not, I will.

Thanks!

Michael Hanel
11-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey all!

When I click on the "index" for "The homilies of St. John Chrysostom on Paul's Epistle to the Romans" and then click on one of the reference numbers in the index, I get "This program cannot display the webpage".

The other indexes (indices? indexi?) seem to work ok.

Anyone else have this problem? or am I doing something wrong.

Has it already been reported to support?

If not, I will.

Thanks!

BY far the most commonly asked question ever when it comes to user modules, so much so that I got tired of writing out the steps, and just put it in bold print on our website (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?page_id=151). Run through step #3, and your problem should be solved.

(sorry if that sounded too sarcastic).

BTW - as these are user databases, not BibleWorks produced stuff, there is no "official" support from BibleWorks w these issues.

arggem
11-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm so sorry. I thought that Schaff's Early Church Fathers module was part of the Bible Works base package.

I right clicked on the efc.chm file, but didn't find a "blocked" option anywhere (I might be blind, however).

Also, even when I open that file, all works as it should, except the index for the homilies on Romans. It opens, but the reference links don't work. All the other indexes that I tried work fine.

Thanks for your patience.

Michael Hanel
11-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm so sorry. I thought that Schaff's Early Church Fathers module was part of the Bible Works base package.

I right clicked on the efc.chm file, but didn't find a "blocked" option anywhere (I might be blind, however).

Also, even when I open that file, all works as it should, except the index for the homilies on Romans. It opens, but the reference links don't work. All the other indexes that I tried work fine.

Thanks for your patience.

No, actually it's my bad if I understand you right this time :) There are Bibleworks user modules which include Chrysostom's works and so when you spoke of the HTML error, that's what I thought you meant.

As it turns out you meant the ECF, which you are completely right, is a BibleWorks-developed file. So this is in fact the right place to ask... (I'm the only embarrassed now :))

What volume exactly is the link you're looking at?

arggem
11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
And to think: we are professional communicators!

Open NPNF111 (St. Chrysostom: Homilies on the actos of the Apostles and the Epistle to the Romans).

Right below "homilies on Romans" is "Index of Subjects"

When you click on the "Index of Subjects" ...um.. the "index of subjects opens in the right-hand pane. All looks well, except...

None of the links work.

For example: the first item...Abraham, his history a reproof to Jewish pride, 97. Clicking on "97" gives the "This program cannot display the webpage".

As do all the other links (that I checked, I didn't check all of them).

The indexes of other volumes seem to work as expected: (NPNF 109, 110, 112,113, 114).

<i>EDIT: It appears that there is no pagination in NPNF 111

Michael Hanel
11-09-2009, 12:44 PM
And to think: we are professional communicators!

Written communication is its own science :) Dialogue is best.

Open NPNF111 (St. Chrysostom: Homilies on the actos of the Apostles and the Epistle to the Romans).

Right below "homilies on Romans" is "Index of Subjects"

When you click on the "Index of Subjects" ...um.. the "index of subjects opens in the right-hand pane. All looks well, except...

None of the links work.

For example: the first item...Abraham, his history a reproof to Jewish pride, 97. Clicking on "97" gives the "This program cannot display the webpage".

As do all the other links (that I checked, I didn't check all of them).

The indexes of other volumes seem to work as expected: (NPNF 109, 110, 112,113, 114).

<i>EDIT: It appears that there is no pagination in NPNF 111

Unfortunately I haven't yet downloaded the latest ECF files on my laptop, but based on this description, it sounds like it's not an issue that is unique to you, but that a few of the HTML links are invalid. While this is relatively easy to fix, I don't know if they could fix it with a patch file, which means the only solution would be to for users to re-download the whole thing again. (and if that is indeed the issue...) I imagine they'll collect these sorts of errors and re-issue them at a later date.

In any event, the email address to report this to is dberrors@bibleworks.com.

arggem
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
In any event, the email address to report this to is dberrors@bibleworks.com.
Done!

And thanks for the dialogue!

Glenn Weaver
11-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Sorry for the problem with the index and page numbers. There is certainly a problem with how the index was processed. I will have to investigate further to see if page numbers were included in the original electronic files, and if so, why they did not carry through in the document processing. The ECF is such a huge database that even with having beta testers checking the module we did not catch this problem. Fortunately the Scripture references still work properly in NPNF111.

I will be taking a look at these items, but unfortunately I will not be able to address this problem for a little while. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

(And I have received the message sent to dberrors. Thank you for sending the bug report there.)

Blessings,
Glenn

arggem
11-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks Glenn!!!

You guys rock!