PDA

View Full Version : Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible

LFS
10-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Is there an electronic "Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible" for BibleWorks?

SkipB
10-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi,
What do you want to do? Almost anything for which you would use Young's can be done easier with the BibleWorks program and its various tools. You could build all the data that appears in Young's from BibleWorks and for any version.
So the question really is: "What do you want to do?" Describe how you would use the concordance and someone here will usually be glad to show you how to accomplish it in the program.

LFS
10-30-2009, 09:03 AM
When I put my mouse pointer over a word in KJV I get the Hebrew/Greek word listed along with its definition according to Strong.
I want to do the the same with Young's concordance.
In KJV and/or YLT

Thanks for the reply:)

SkipB
10-30-2009, 09:20 AM
You actually want the dictionaries from Young's? Hmmm, well I don't know what to say. The strong's dictionaries are used to provide a compact, shorthand, quick gloss. I really am speechless here, I can't remember looking at Young's in... oh-- 30 years? So I can't even comment on the dictionaries used there. With the wealth of other lexical resources literally at your fingertips in Bibleworks, I just don't understand what changing the glosses in the word tips would accomplish. I actually advise students to turn off the word tips. I think they are distracting, so much is available right in the analysis window. Sorry, I can't help you, I am afraid.

Joan Korte
10-30-2009, 12:39 PM
When I put my mouse pointer over a word in KJV I get the Hebrew/Greek word listed along with its definition according to Strong.
I want to do the the same with Young's concordance.
In KJV and/or YLT

Thanks for the reply:) LFS, the answer to your first questions is no, there is no Young's Concordance in Bibleworks. As you can see Strong's numbers in line with the KJV, you can also see them with any English Bible version that has "with codes". And you can toggle Strong's numbers on and off using the status bar at the bottom of the user interface. Young's Literal Translation of the Bible is one of the English translations included in Bibleworks, but it has no codes.

SkipB asked you to describe what you would like to do in Bibleworks, and perhaps, if you do that you can get more help from one of us. God Bless

Anne
11-19-2010, 08:28 AM
I am not currently a user of Bibleworks, but I have registered to ask about Youngs. I currently use my book version of Youngs analytical concordance. I like the fact that it has every single word in the KJV, and that it gives the verses grouped by original greek or hebrew word with a definition at the top. However I also use it to look up the original greek or hebrew in the back (once I have found it in the front section - I don't know either language). This lists the other english words which have been used to translate the same greek or hebrew word. I find that this gives me a sense of the nuances of the original word in a way that a mere definition does not, especially if I then look up those words in the front and see their context. Can you do this with bibleworks? (I have never used Strongs so I have no idea if you can do the same things with Strongs.)

Lee
11-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I am not currently a user of Bibleworks, but I have registered to ask about Youngs. I currently use my book version of Youngs analytical concordance. I like the fact that it has every single word in the KJV, and that it gives the verses grouped by original greek or hebrew word with a definition at the top. However I also use it to look up the original greek or hebrew in the back (once I have found it in the front section - I don't know either language). This lists the other english words which have been used to translate the same greek or hebrew word. I find that this gives me a sense of the nuances of the original word in a way that a mere definition does not, especially if I then look up those words in the front and see their context. Can you do this with bibleworks? (I have never used Strongs so I have no idea if you can do the same things with Strongs.)

Anne, I am unaware of anything a concordance does that BibleWorks cannot do. As far as finding the different ways a Greek word is translated in different passages in an English version, that is very easy to do in BibleWorks. If you end up getting BW, just post here and I or someone else will be glad to show you how to do it.

jimofbentley
11-19-2010, 06:32 PM
I am unaware of anything a concordance does that BibleWorks cannot do.

BibleWorks can not act as a weight holding down some of my wife's craft projects until the glue dries :):)

Lee
11-19-2010, 08:46 PM
BibleWorks can not act as a weight holding down some of my wife's craft projects until the glue dries :):)

Touché--I stand corrected. :o

Michael Hanel
11-19-2010, 10:23 PM

But if you have it on a laptop, perhaps the laptop could?

Dale A. Brueggemann
11-20-2010, 09:32 PM

That's what my wife used our Bill Gothard notes for in the 1980s; seemed a fair use to me.

Van Parunak
03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
In studying translation techniques, I find it very useful to tabulate the different words in the source language that lie behind a single lexeme in the target language, and vice versa. Young's offers this "out of the box" (er, off the shelf). This information is contained in any Strong's-keyed BW text, but not readily accessible in this form. One has to search on the target word, then manually tabulate the different Strong's numbers, then search on the Strong's numbers and manually tabulate on the various target words. For rare words this isn't too bad (and one can bypass Strong's and the attendant difficulties in how it classifies words), but in the nature of the case this is a statistical technique, much more powerful for common words than for rare ones, and then one is back to a lot of manual slogging. This is basically the kind of functionality that Tov-Polak offers for the MT/LSS pair. E-sword (and maybe others) offers a resource called the "King James Concordance" that tabulates English words from the AV against a single Strong's numbers; that's half of the solution (for the AV).

DavidR
03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I've bumped up against this in trying to give a brief introduction to word study, in that it seems easier to show non-Greek/Hebrew-readers how to track the use of an original-language term in an analytical concordance (any one, not just Young) than in BW. Is there a GSE method for this? I've always found the GSE intimidating, but I can't see a way to do it from the Command Line or the Browse Window.

bobvenem
03-08-2012, 11:34 AM
In studying translation techniques, I find it very useful to tabulate the different words in the source language that lie behind a single lexeme in the target language, and vice versa.

Sounds like you're looking for a lemmatized AV. That would be handy.

Van Parunak
03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks to the nature of English (very little prefix variability in the morphology), we almost have one already, in the Strongs' coding. We just need a straightforward way to access the information (e.g., search on an English word, and display a tally of all the Strongs #s associated with it).

DavidR
03-08-2012, 06:55 PM
For those of us for whom the AV (and its underlying Hebrew and Greek texts, esp. in the NT) is no longer the primary version of reference, I wonder if the Strong's system is really adequate. What about Goodrick/Kohlenberger?

But the original point here was whether it was possible to do this (find all the Hebrew or Greek words associated with an English word in a particular version) in BW. With all that BW can do, I'd like to hope that it is possible; but I don't have any idea how myself. Anyone else?