PDA

View Full Version : Weird Update Behavior?

drquantum
10-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Hi -

Upon starting Bibleworks 8 up this morning, I received the usual "there are updates available" message. When the update window came up, there were many double entries in the list, including very old update entries that suddenly had a carbon copy that appeared in the black text, as though I had not ever applied them. Then, when I did the updates I wanted (again, just version s which was apparently released yesterday) and restarted, I found now that there was a double entry even for the newest executable release. Screenshots attached.

What's going on with the updater?

Todd

jimofbentley
10-30-2009, 12:48 AM
The objects in grey are those updates that you have already downloaded and have been applied to your software. The objects in black are those not yet downloaded.

To see only those which you have not downloaded, go to:

Help
Bible Works on the internet
Check for updates

Then, on the window that comes up, under:

Options - uncheck the "show downloaded/hidden patches"

This will hide all of those updates which you have already downloaded, leaving only those updates which have not been downloaded visible.

Dale A. Brueggemann
10-30-2009, 04:55 PM
The objects in grey are those updates that you have already downloaded and have been applied to your software. The objects in black are those not yet downloaded.

Afraid you missed the point of his query; he's got duplicates appearing, one each in black and grayed out for the same modules and version numbers.

jimofbentley
10-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Afraid you missed the point of his query; he's got duplicates appearing, one each in black and grayed out for the same modules and version numbers.

You're right - I did misunderstand the point.

Mine does the same thing as his, but of course, if you hide them - then the problem disappears :).

drquantum
10-30-2009, 10:00 PM
You're right - I did misunderstand the point.

Mine does the same thing as his, but of course, if you hide them - then the problem disappears :).

Ah - well, so it does. Still, though, it's disturbing.

The problem appeared just the other day after I had downloaded version s, I think. Then, after doing that, I checked the updates - and that's when the updates in the recommended section that I had downloaded long ago appeared black - then I saw that the black entries were all duplicates of stuff I already had downloaded.

Same thing happened yesterday when the "t" update came up. At first, there was only the one black entry for the t version of the executable. Then, once I applied the t executable update, and BW8 restarted, I then looked at the update window. Now the t entry was duplicated - one gray as it should be, and one black, as though I had never applied the update.

Anyone from BW actually see this and have a guess as to what's going on?

Bennett B. Wethered
10-31-2009, 02:41 PM
I've seen the same duplicate update entries myself, in the course of re-installing (more than once), while trying to get the font problem I have in Windows 7 resolved (which, unfortunately, hasn't yet happened; as my screen says "Not Responding," I haven't been able to try to implement the fix that Edward in customer service has suggested).