PDA

View Full Version : VMWare Fusion 3

ccozier
10-27-2009, 10:02 PM
For those of you running BW on the Mac platform, just a quick note to let you know that the new Fusion 3 rocks!!!! I've been running BW8 on VirtualBox 3. The performance was "laggy" at best. I've been counting the days until Fusion 3 was released, and today was the big day. Setup is a breeze (even setting up a printer in the virtual machine is simple....something I could never get to work on VirtualBox) and its lightening fast. For me (at least) the cost of Fusion 3 will be paid off in reduced frustration and productivity gains. They have a 30 day evaluation version, and you can even migrate your VirtualBox machines into Fusion. I give it two thumbs up!

ugotdave
11-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I read this post and had to try VMware Fusion 3.

It took me several tries to get the eval email to produce the evaluation link, but when I got my temp activation code it took me about one hour to load Windows and BW7.

Things work great thus far. I am impressed with it.

Rod Decker
12-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I also just got Fusion3/Win7 and have begun experimenting with BW7 on my MacBookPro. Seems to work OK, except that I get a series of errors when trying to update. It detects the newer modules and downloads them, but many will not install, including the exe update file. Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas?

(Also running 64 bit version of Win7.)

Rod Decker
12-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Update:
I should have specified, BW I'm using is 7.0.012g
I get "update failed" error in first dialog, and "error "ept0018" in another.
I tried increasing RAM allocation to Fusion from 1 to 1.5 GB (out of 4) and also increased the size of the virtual machine file by 10 GB to 50 GB. Neither made any difference.

Rod Decker
12-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I just found the thread titled: "How Can I Prepare BibleWorks to Run in Windows Vista or Windows 7?"

My guess is that I have too old a version of BW7 (7.0.012g, CD revision A01) and will have to delete the entire installation and re-install, then run the patch referenced above. (That's a bit of a pain with a stack of CDs since ejecting CDs isn't as easy as it should be in Fusion, but it's do-able.)

Anyone have any confirmation of my diagnosis or experience in this situation? I shouldn't take more time today, so it will be later this weekend before I have time to do a reinstall.

ISalzman
12-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I just found the thread titled: "How Can I Prepare BibleWorks to Run in Windows Vista or Windows 7?"

My guess is that I have too old a version of BW7 (7.0.012g, CD revision A01) and will have to delete the entire installation and re-install, then run the patch referenced above. (That's a bit of a pain with a stack of CDs since ejecting CDs isn't as easy as it should be in Fusion, but it's do-able.)

Anyone have any confirmation of my diagnosis or experience in this situation? I shouldn't take more time today, so it will be later this weekend before I have time to do a reinstall.

Rod, sorry I can't help you with your specific question, but I once knew of a Rodney Decker and I just can't place from where. I want to say that he was a seminary prof at Biblical Seminary in Hatfield, PA, but I could be completely off base with that. Have you had any published works having to do with OT interpretation or biblical Hebrew?

Irving Salzman

Rod Decker
12-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Well, you have 2 of 4 pieces right! :) I am a seminary prof and it's in PA, but not OT and not at Biblical. I'm NT and at Baptist Bible Seminary (Clarks Summit, PA). More info at NTResources.com.

ISalzman
12-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, you have 2 of 4 pieces right! :) I am a seminary prof and it's in PA, but not OT and not at Biblical. I'm NT and at Baptist Bible Seminary (Clarks Summit, PA). More info at NTResources.com.

Thanks Rod. I actually 'Googled' you after I wrote my post and found your info. I know the seminary well. I had friends who went there. And once spoke at Dr. Zebulski's church (forgive the spelling; I'm sure I've got it wrong).

I'm pretty sure I've read stuff that you've written, although I just can't seem to place where and when. Did you do any blog reviews of Constantine Campbell's book "Basics of Biblical Greek Verbal Aspect?" Also, I noticed on your own website (NTResources.com) that you've written journal articles for Bib Sac. However, when I searched articles by your name in my Logos Theological Journal Library Collection (which includes Bib Sac and many other respected theological journals), I got only one hit and it was some obscure article (and not in Bib Sac). Since I read Bib Sac regularly and faithfully, I thought I might have read something by you in that publication. But, as mentioned, my search of Bib Sac in my Logos installation turned up empty. Do you remember the Bib Sac articles that you've written?

Rod Decker
12-06-2009, 09:24 PM
"The New Covenant and the Church." BibliothecaSacra 152 (1995): 290-305, 431-56 (2 part series).
And yes, I've blogged about Campbell's work on my blog, debated it on others, and shared the platform in the just completed SBL panel on aspect with him, Porter, and Fanning.
Other things I've written, etc. are here: <http://www.ntresources.com/vita.html>
But this is getting the BW forum off on a tangent. To get back to the subject at hand, I am right now in the process of re-installing BW in Fusion 3. The uninstall is finished, and I'm about to begin the correct install for Vista/Win7. I'll report back later.

ISalzman
12-06-2009, 09:34 PM
"The New Covenant and the Church." BibliothecaSacra 152 (1995): 290-305, 431-56 (2 part series).
And yes, I've blogged about Campbell's work on my blog, debated it on others, and shared the platform in the just completed SBL panel on aspect with him, Porter, and Fanning.
Other things I've written, etc. are here: <http://www.ntresources.com/vita.html>
But this is getting the BW forum off on a tangent. To get back to the subject at hand, I am right now in the process of re-installing BW in Fusion 3. The uninstall is finished, and I'm about to begin the correct install for Vista/Win7. I'll report back later.

Thanks, Rod. Sorry, didn't mean to get things off-topic. I will go back and look at your BibSac articles. I would have loved to have been privy to the SBL panel that you were a part of. I have a great respect for Porter and Fanning. I'll let you get back to your install. Blessings,

Irving Salzman

Rod Decker
12-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Success! :D If anyone else finds this thread in a search, the key to making BW 7 run on a Mac with OS X under Fusion 3 with Win7 is to follow the instructions noted above ("How Can I prepare BibleWorks to Run in Windows Vista or Windows7?") *before* you install BW. If you've already installed BW, you'll need to uninstall it and start over. The instructions are very clear and they work just fine.

I suspect it's different with BW8, but I don't have that version.

(And Irv, you can get details on the SBL aspect panel and a copy of my paper on my blog, NTResources.com/blog/.)

Michael Hanel
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Success! :D If anyone else finds this thread in a search, the key to making BW 7 run on a Mac with OS X under Fusion 3 with Win7 is to follow the instructions noted above ("How Can I prepare BibleWorks to Run in Windows Vista or Windows7?") *before* you install BW. If you've already installed BW, you'll need to uninstall it and start over. The instructions are very clear and they work just fine.

(And Irv, you can get details on the SBL aspect panel and a copy of my paper on my blog, NTResources.com/blog/.)

Yeah I don't think any precautions are necessary with BW8 because it had already come out after Vista and so worked right out of the gates. BW7 was pre-Vista and required those steps as work-around.

ISalzman
12-06-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks again, Rod. I will definitely check out your blog site and get a copy of your paper.

Irving Salzman

Rod Decker
12-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Whoops! Spoke too soon. Everything I've tried thus far seems to work OK, but as soon as I click Leedy's NT gram. diagrams (one of the main reasons I want to be able to run BW), BW crashes.

No time to mess with it tonight, but if anyone has any ideas, I'll check them tomorrow. Thanks.

Rod Decker
12-15-2009, 09:11 PM
No luck with getting the diagrams to work in BW7, though I didn't have time to experiment a lot. I'm now running successfully with BW8--upgrading is a simpler and quicker solution. I've not tried a lot of different things, but so far it seems OK.