PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks Classroom Tips

Adelphos
10-27-2009, 01:32 PM
For those who don't know, you can subscribe to BibleWorks Classroom Tips and have them brought to you via email. I have always found these tips immensely useful. My only complaint is that there aren't more of them.

For example, there have lately been excellent tips on how to use the VLM/WLM, which I am very interested in due to BOSS, and I rarely read these tips without learning something new, even though I'm farily well versed in BibleWorks (albeit FAR from being an expert). I can't recommend these tips enough.

To view/subscribe to BibleWorks Classroom Tips, go to --

http://www.bibleworks.com/classroom/index.html

Sansom48
10-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Adelphos, thank you for posting this. I just subscribed to these a few weeks ago, but it was by pure chance that I stumbled upon them, so it is nice to see someone talking about them, which I should have done a few weeks ago.

Adelphos
10-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Adelphos, thank you for posting this. I just subscribed to these a few weeks ago, but it was by pure chance that I stumbled upon them...

That's the main reason I posted it. I think BibleWorks should find a way to publicize the Classroom Tips more effectively since they are so helpful. I would also like to see them come out at least on a weekly basis.

ISalzman
10-29-2009, 04:46 PM
That's the main reason I posted it. I think BibleWorks should find a way to publicize the Classroom Tips more effectively since they are so helpful. I would also like to see them come out at least on a weekly basis.

Hey Scott, speaking of the Classroom Tips, I assume you have probably read the current one about Semantic Domain searches on the Command Line. Louw-Nida is an excellent tool for searching semantic domains for NT words. Do you know if there is any similar tool available for OT words? My gut feeling is that there isn't anything currently. But would you or anyone else, for that matter, know of an OT semantic domain tool that is being worked on currently for near-term release?

Mark Eddy
10-29-2009, 09:18 PM
No, there is no semantic domain work in BW for the OT. I started working on one for myself a couple years ago. But I don't expect to finish for another 10 years or more, since I add to it only on a hit and miss basis as I do my Bible translation work. It is fascinating study to come up with such a thing, though.
Mark Eddy

Adelphos
10-29-2009, 09:23 PM
No, there is no semanitic domain work in BW for the OT...

Sounds to me like there might be some anti-semanticism going on here! :rolleyes:

ISalzman
10-29-2009, 09:28 PM
No, there is no semanitic domain work in BW for the OT. I started working on one for myself a couple years ago. But I don't expect to finish for another 10 years or more, since I add to it only on a hit and miss basis as I do my Bible translation work. It is fascinating study to come up with such a thing, though.
Mark Eddy

Thanks Mark, but I wasn't necessarily restricting my comments to BW. Do you know of any such tool in any digital platform or in print media?

Adelphos
10-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks Mark, but I wasn't necessarily restricting my comments to BW. Do you know of any such tool in any digital platform or in print media?

This isn't the same thing by far, but you will find that K&D frequently discuss semantic domains in their commentary, so barring an actual dedicated semantic domain work, K&D can ofttimes be interesting in this regard.

ISalzman
10-29-2009, 09:58 PM
This isn't the same thing by far, but you will find that K&D frequently discuss semantic domains in their commentary, so barring an actual dedicated semantic domain work, K&D can ofttimes be interesting in this regard.

Thanks for the tip. But it sure would be nice to have a dedicated semantic domain work for the OT.

Adelphos
10-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the tip. But it sure would be nice to have a dedicated semantic domain work for the OT.

You know, I started thinking about this when you asked a little bit ago, and I'm wondering if a "working" SD could be created using the RVT, PMT and WLM in BibleWorks. I've played around with it just briefly so far, but from my VERY preliminary observations, this could actually be quite informative relative to SD's.

ISalzman
10-29-2009, 10:26 PM
You know, I started thinking about this when you asked a little bit ago, and I'm wondering if a "working" SD could be created using the RVT, PMT and WLM in BibleWorks. I've played around with it just briefly so far, but from my VERY preliminary observations, this could actually be quite informative relative to SD's.

That sounds encouraging!