PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to find all references to a certain chapter of the Bible?

dbielby
10-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm interested in doing a search for cross references or links to a whole chapter of the Bible in one search. Is that possible?

Example: Search for any reference to anything in Exodus 2 within any database I select (including LXX, GNT, Apostolic Fathers, Jewish Greek Lit, etc...

Mark Eddy
10-10-2009, 11:03 AM
What you want to do is not currently possible. The Apostolic Fathers, Josephus, and Philo are not tagged with the notes of some printed editions which spell out references or allusions to Bible texts.
If you want to look for possible quotations of a verse (not chapter) in Exodus, you could use the new (BW8) "Related Verses Tool." If you have BGT or BGM as your search versions, the RVT will give you a list of verses elsewhere in both LXT and GNT which have words in common with the current verse, starting with the most words. E.g. the RVT lists all the verses with 7 words in common first, then all the verses with 6 words in common, etc. You can then look up the verses and decide for yourself if it is a quotation, an allusion, or just coincidence.
Users have begun to make synopsis files which show some of the information you request. E.g. there is a user-created synopsis definition file available on the BW blog (if I remember correctly) which lists correspondence between 1 Clement and 1 Corinthians. I know that someone has working on expanding that to all the Apostolic Fathers and the whole New Testament, but I don't think it's done yet.
I have started doing something similar for Josephus, but it will be many years before I get it done (if God permits).
For now your most thorough list of cross references is in the "BW Master" for the "X-Reference" tab. But that works verse by verse, not chapter by chapter. And, again, it is limited to biblical texts, not extra-biblical texts. A lot of hard work needs to be done to get this sort of information, especially for non-biblical texts.
If you have a particular phrase in the Bible which you would like to see if it is used elsewhere, you can use the cross-version search feature in BW 7 & 8. Under the command line click on the version identifier. In the "Choose Search Version" window, click on the arrow under the version list and choose "Search and Display All Same Language Versions."
If your search version is Greek, this will search for your chosen phrase in all Greek versions installed in BibleWorks, including the Apostolic Fathers, Pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, and any other user databases you may have installed. If your search version is English, the Talmud, etc. will also be added to the search. But again, you will have have to wade through the results in order to determine if actual quotes or allusions are involved.
Sorry to be a bearer of bad new. But we're not in heaven yet, so we have to live by the sweat of our brow.
Mark Eddy

Jim Wert
10-10-2009, 02:20 PM
This is again not what you want, but might help. BW does have some cross-referencing to Early Fathers and other resources (I don't know how complete they are -- most seem to be to footnotes). The resources tab (of the far right pane) will show you the references in the various resources you have enabled. But, this is only at the verse level, so you have to go through verse by verse.

For example, for Exodus 1:1 I got 2 references in Schaff, one by Jerome, and one from the "Constitutions of the Holy Apostles".

--Jim

dbielby
10-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Thank you Mark. I looked under Tools/Options and cannot find RVT or Related Verses Tool. If I can get that working, I can zoom in on the verses I suspect are the most relevant. I presume it searches by Lemma or does it search by Form, or is it customizable? Can you tell me where this RVT is located, or what the exact title for it is in BW8.0?

Thanks for your help.

What you want to do is not currently possible. The Apostolic Fathers, Josephus, and Philo are not tagged with the notes of some printed editions which spell out references or allusions to Bible texts.
If you want to look for possible quotations of a verse (not chapter) in Exodus, you could use the new (BW8) "Related Verses Tool." If you have BGT or BGM as your search versions, the RVT will give you a list of verses elsewhere in both LXT and GNT which have words in common with the current verse, starting with the most words. E.g. the RVT lists all the verses with 7 words in common first, then all the verses with 6 words in common, etc. You can then look up the verses and decide for yourself if it is a quotation, an allusion, or just coincidence.
Users have begun to make synopsis files which show some of the information you request. E.g. there is a user-created synopsis definition file available on the BW blog (if I remember correctly) which lists correspondence between 1 Clement and 1 Corinthians. I know that someone has working on expanding that to all the Apostolic Fathers and the whole New Testament, but I don't think it's done yet.
I have started doing something similar for Josephus, but it will be many years before I get it done (if God permits).
For now your most thorough list of cross references is in the "BW Master" for the "X-Reference" tab. But that works verse by verse, not chapter by chapter. And, again, it is limited to biblical texts, not extra-biblical texts. A lot of hard work needs to be done to get this sort of information, especially for non-biblical texts.
If you have a particular phrase in the Bible which you would like to see if it is used elsewhere, you can use the cross-version search feature in BW 7 & 8. Under the command line click on the version identifier. In the "Choose Search Version" window, click on the arrow under the version list and choose "Search and Display All Same Language Versions."
If your search version is Greek, this will search for your chosen phrase in all Greek versions installed in BibleWorks, including the Apostolic Fathers, Pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, and any other user databases you may have installed. If your search version is English, the Talmud, etc. will also be added to the search. But again, you will have have to wade through the results in order to determine if actual quotes or allusions are involved.
Sorry to be a bearer of bad new. But we're not in heaven yet, so we have to live by the sweat of our brow.
Mark Eddy

Mark Eddy
10-13-2009, 03:58 PM
I looked under Tools/Options and cannot find RVT or Related Verses Tool. If I can get that working, I can zoom in on the verses I suspect are the most relevant. I presume it searches by Lemma or does it search by Form, or is it customizable? Can you tell me where this RVT is located, or what the exact title for it is in BW8.0?
The Related Verses Tool is only in BW8, so if you have 7 or before, you will not find it. In BW8 it is under "Tools" then "Analyzing the text." When you open the RVT it will automatically use the current verse in the browse window and the current search version. You can change the search version to any version you have installed and any verse you want to compare. Once you open the RVT, it should be pretty easy to figure out how it works.
Mark Eddy

dbielby
10-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks Mark! I found it and it is easy to use! This may become may favorite new feature. I really appreciate being able to get help on this forum. You guys have pulled through for me many times over the years. Thank you!!!:cool:

The Related Verses Tool is only in BW8, so if you have 7 or before, you will not find it. In BW8 it is under "Tools" then "Analyzing the text." When you open the RVT it will automatically use the current verse in the browse window and the current search version. You can change the search version to any version you have installed and any verse you want to compare. Once you open the RVT, it should be pretty easy to figure out how it works.
Mark Eddy

cookewhitley
10-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Hello Mark,
I red your comment.Well nice information sharing,i must say.I am really pleased to see such article sharing at the community.Many people are just start the activity as craze,but the information that you have shared is must known to them.Please try to share more articles like this one,that is really superb.Thank you for sharing such nice post..

dbielby
10-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Is there anything that summarizes NT use of an OT passage or OT use in a NT passage that can be pulled automatically? For example, if one is studying Exodus 12 on the Passover (which I will do soon), could I run any sort of search that pulls all overt references and/or allustions to the Passover segment in Exodus? Doing this verse by verse can take some time.

dbielby
10-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Ok, so I run a search using RVT and get a gob of results...most of them are not helpful for my purposes. So I check off the ones I want, but I don't see a way to export them to the editor. Is there a trick to that?

Adelphos
10-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Is there anything that summarizes NT use of an OT passage or OT use in a NT passage that can be pulled automatically? For example, if one is studying Exodus 12 on the Passover (which I will do soon), could I run any sort of search that pulls all overt references and/or allustions to the Passover segment in Exodus? Doing this verse by verse can take some time.

I think the KWIC and the Parallel Hebrew/LXX tools should be quite helpful to you in this endeavor. You'll have to play with each of them to figure out how to best configure them to your needs. Remember also that pressing F1 while in a module will automatically open the respective help topic.

Mark Eddy
10-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Actually, it looks as if what you probably want to use is one of the BW "Resources" entitled "Archer and Chirichigno: OT Quotes in the NT." The OT passages are listed in canonical order. So after you click on Exodus in the table of contents, you can scroll down to chapter 12 and see those verses which A & C think are quotated in the NT. They list only one verse 12:46 as being quoted in the NT.
Mark Eddy