PDA

View Full Version : BDAG & HALOT in BW8

jthomp
10-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I was thinking of purchasing the BDAG/HALOT combination modules. I have both in Logos but am having trouble linking and using them in BW8. I should probably do a little more research to be able to accomplish this more effectively. But I thought I'd just ask those who have the modules in BW8 for their advice. Is it worth the expense? I would imagine working with them within BW8 would be much more convenient. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Soxfan23
10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I was thinking of purchasing the BDAG/HALOT combination modules. I have both in Logos but am having trouble linking and using them in BW8. I should probably do a little more research to be able to accomplish this more effectively. But I thought I'd just ask those who have the modules in BW8 for their advice. Is it worth the expense? I would imagine working with them within BW8 would be much more convenient. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

I think it's certainly worth the expense. The "resource summary" tab is invaluable, and you can view any word in the current verse that is quoted in BDAG/HALOT through this feature. Click on the word under the heading, and it takes you directly to the reference and has it highlighted for you. Saves so much time in study, I don't know what I'd do without it. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the pg. numbers for citing.

Also, the bundle is around $100 cheaper than buying the hard copies. What stinks is that you have already purchased them on another platform. Some companies are offering "cross grades" these days, where if you've bought a work on another platform and want to switch it to another, you can pay a minimal fee to do so since you already own a license. Unfortunately, Bibleworks has no such option yet.

MGVH
10-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I have BDAG in both Logos and BW8. Since I do almost all of my textual work in BW8, I tend to use BDAG in BW8, and I appreciate easy access to lexical entries via the Resources tab.
OTOH, the presentation of BDAG is more attractive in Logos, ie, virtually identical to the hardcopy. It's easier to read in Logos, and you also get popup hints to the various abbreviations. (Both BW and Logos provide the links to the Bible texts.) Where possible, Logos will also link into references to Philo, Joesphus, Apostolic Fathers.
(Eg, under the entry for δρέπανον in BDAG, there is a reference to Jos., Bell. 3,225 and a bit later, Hs 8,1,2;3. These are references to Josephus and Similitudes of the Shepherd of Hermas. Not only are the abbreviations explained, but since I also have those texts, they popup and are click-linked.)

Do also note that you can set up an external link from BW8 to Logos, so that might be the best of both worlds.

Michael Hanel
10-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Where possible, Logos will also link into references to Philo, Joesphus, Apostolic Fathers.
(Eg, under the entry for δρέπανον in BDAG, there is a reference to Jos., Bell. 3,225 and a bit later, Hs 8,1,2;3. These are references to Josephus and Similitudes of the Shepherd of Hermas. Not only are the abbreviations explained, but since I also have those texts, they popup and are click-linked.)

But as you said, this presumes you have those texts in Logos. The links will still be there if you don't, they just won't have anything to open.

felitoba
10-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I have BAGD the Second Edition in Libronix. Do you think that is important for me the Third Edition? and considering HALOT, some one tell me about that please. I know about BDB, but I don't about HALOT. Thank you for your help in this.

Mark Eddy
10-23-2009, 08:06 PM
HALOT is the Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament, former editions were known as Koehler-Baumgartner. If you use Hebrew a lot, it is worth having as a second opinion to BDB. If you never or rarely use Hebrew, BDB is probably good enough for you.
Mark Eddy

acheung
10-24-2009, 08:40 AM
I have BDAG and HALOT in both BW and Logos. I've been using both programs for more than 10 years. Even though I have thousands of books in Libronix, I find myself using BW a lot more than Libronix, especially since BW8 came out. BW's integration with the lexicons is far superior to Libronix. The main thing that BDAG does better in Libronix is the popup expansion of abbreviations and references (if you have them in your collection).

BDAG (i.e. 3rd edition) is significantly better than BAGD. One main improvement is that it now also provides clear definitions of words rather than just glosses as in the earlier editions. So you will be less likely to confuse meaning with usage. There is also some re-organization of categories and subcategories of meaning, besides some updates and corrections. It is like an updated BAGD supplemented with some of the best features of Louw-Nida. So it is definitely worth the extra expense. It is also a good bargain if you buy the bundle with HALOT. I remember paying about $250 just for HALOT when it was first available in Logos! I think you will find HALOT easier to use than BDB as the organization of the former is much clearer (e.g. the layout of stems and homographs). Of course, HALOT is also much more up to date, being more linguistically informed and having a lot more comparative material to work with (e.g. Ugarit, Ebla, DSS, etc. were not yet discovered when BDB was published).

Alex Cheung
Scholar-in-Residence
Worldwide Bible Society

felitoba
10-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Thank you Mark and Alex for your answers to my questions. I think that I must to buy that bundle. God bless you.
Sincerely in Christ.
Felix Brito