PDA

View Full Version : Version Display Order question

ISalzman
10-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Does anyone happen to know if 'Version Display Order' is tab specific? In other words, if I open a version display order which is saved to a file (*.vdo), will it just open the file on the specific tab that I'm on? Or will it open up that display order across the board? Another way of saying this is as follows: If I would like to set my preferred version display order across all tabs, must I do so individually on every tab? Or is there a way to do this so that my preferred version display order is applied to every tab at the same time? I have the same question about saved Search Window and Browse Window version configurations. Grateful if anyone has an answer.

MGVH
10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
It is NOT tab specific. Opening a VDO in any tab will change the order in all tabs. It is a good idea if it were tab specific, however, since I do have a few different orderings I use depending on the kind of work I'm doing.

Adelphos
10-07-2009, 03:48 PM
It is NOT tab specific. Opening a VDO in any tab will change the order in all tabs. It is a good idea if it were tab specific, however, since I do have a few different orderings I use depending on the kind of work I'm doing.

You can save your VDO into files by clicking on the first icon in the Browse Window (next to the Feet icon), and then choosing Set Version Display Order.

This allows you to save and load VDO files at will.

ISalzman
10-07-2009, 04:00 PM

Thanks Mark. But what about the second question that I had? If you similarly open a 'Search and Display Favorites' configuration (Tools, Options, Bible Versions, Versions), will that open up the said configuration on the current tab or on all tabs? Thanks again for any response.

MGVH
10-07-2009, 07:37 PM
As I understand it, Search & Display favorites only allows you to choose the versions you want. It does not allow you to select the order in which they appear. The VDO takes priority over and Search & Display selection and thus affects all tabs.

ISalzman
10-07-2009, 11:33 PM
As I understand it, Search & Display favorites only allows you to choose the versions you want. It does not allow you to select the order in which they appear. The VDO takes priority over and Search & Display selection and thus affects all tabs.

Agreed. I understand that 'Search and Display Favorites' only controls one's choice of versions and not the order in which they appear. The VDO file does the latter. Allow me to rephrase my question. Suppose I choose to edit my 'Search and Display Favorites' and add a new Display version. The change does not automatically take place on every tab (at least, I don't believe it does!). I think that I have to go into each tab manually, click on the left most button under the Command Line, and then choose 'My Favorites.' I don't believe this would work on a system-wide basis either. I believe that I would have to manually effect this change on every tab. Am I correct on this?

Mark Eddy
10-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Suppose I choose to edit my 'Search and Display Favorites' and add a new Display version. The change does not automatically take place on every tab (at least, I don't believe it does!). I think that I have to go into each tab manually, click on the left most button under the Command Line, and then choose 'My Favorites.' I don't believe this would work on a system-wide basis either. I believe that I would have to manually effect this change on every tab. Am I correct on this?
This is a different Mark. Yes, you are correct. One of the reasons for having tabs is so that you can different versions on different tabs. So, if you change one of the favorites, it will not become effective in any tab unless you choose that favorite for that specific tab. And the favorites do not automatically update each other. The versions in a tab remain the same as before, even if you have changed the favorite which is named on that tab. You must re-select the favorite of that name to get the changed versions for that favorite. That goes even for the tab which is open when you change your favorites. After saving that favorite, you have to choose that favorite for the tab before the changes take place.
I hope I said this clearly enough. If not, ask again.
Mark Eddy

ISalzman
10-08-2009, 11:42 AM
This is a different Mark. Yes, you are correct. One of the reasons for having tabs is so that you can different versions on different tabs. So, if you change one of the favorites, it will not become effective in any tab unless you choose that favorite for that specific tab. And the favorites do not automatically update each other. The versions in a tab remain the same as before, even if you have changed the favorite which is named on that tab. You must re-select the favorite of that name to get the changed versions for that favorite. That goes even for the tab which is open when you change your favorites. After saving that favorite, you have to choose that favorite for the tab before the changes take place.
I hope I said this clearly enough. If not, ask again.
Mark Eddy

Thanks, different Mark! (You're both 'on the mark' as far as I'm concerned! Oh, I can just hear the groans!) I think you've said it about as clearly as you could. And, yes, I followed your argument completely. It is exactly as I suspected. But I would be most grateful if you could describe the interaction between 'Search and Display Favorites' and 'Version Display Order.' That's where my question has been going all along. Allow me to be specific.

I have so far defined one 'Search and Display Favorites' collection to date. Perhaps not overly creative, I have called it 'My_Favorites.' I have also saved one Version Display Order file, which I have called 'My_VDO.' The list of resources/databases included in 'My_VDO' exactly matches that of 'My_Favorites.' 'My_VDO merely assigns a preferred viewing order to 'My_Favorites.' There are probably about a million questions I could ask at this point. (I obviously won't) But suppose I open (or start) a new tab. For me to get my preferred databases in my preferred order, must I first click on 'My_Favorites' on that tab (to open my preferred resources) and then open 'My_VDO' (to set my preferred display order)? Or is there a faster "one-click" solution, per se? Alternatively, if I start a brand new tab, if I open my saved .vdo file, will it open up my preferred resources and set my preferred viewing order? Or, do my favorite display versions need to be open first before my saved .vdo file can do its magic and set my preferred display order? I realize that it seems to be ultra hard to achieve full clarity in wording my questions here, but I hope I have made myself somewhat understandable. Essentially, I am trying to understand the relationship between .vdo files and 'Search and Display Favorites.' Primarily, how they work together and interact with each other.

MGVH
10-08-2009, 02:21 PM
VDO files apply across all tabs and can be opened/applied in any tab.
Search & Display favorites are tab specific.
(If you open a blank tab, it will show up w/ whatever you had displayed in the previous tab.)

ISalzman
10-08-2009, 03:02 PM
VDO files apply across all tabs and can be opened/applied in any tab.
Search & Display favorites are tab specific.
(If you open a blank tab, it will show up w/ whatever you had displayed in the previous tab.)

Okay thanks Mark. I don't mean to belabor this but will a VDO file just set the order of display versions or will it also open up any versions which may not be currently open on the specific tab I'm on (and, in fact, all of the other tabs which don't include the versions listed in the said VDO file)?

For example: Say I open up a new tab. On it, for example, I have WTT, BGT, NAU, and ESV set as my display versions. Then, I open my VDO file, which I have preset to include KJV, WTT, NRSV, RSV, BGT, PHE, etc. in their specified order. The question now becomes: Will opening my VDO file open up all the display versions listed therein so that they are now viewable on my tab? Moreover, will it also close any open versions which are not listed in my VDO file? Or, will it only change the display order of currently opened versions to match, as much as is possible, the preset display order as specified in my VDO file? I realize this might be getting complicated. But I much appreciate your insight.

Mark Eddy
10-08-2009, 11:10 PM
But suppose I open (or start) a new tab. For me to get my preferred databases in my preferred order, must I first click on 'My_Favorites' on that tab (to open my preferred resources) and then open 'My_VDO' (to set my preferred display order)?
No, when you open a brand new tab, the versions in your previous tab will display in it by default in the order in which they display in the original tab.

Or is there a faster "one-click" solution, per se?
If you open a new tab, you have a zero click solution.

Alternatively, if I start a brand new tab, if I open my saved .vdo file, will it open up my preferred resources and set my preferred viewing order? Or, do my favorite display versions need to be open first before my saved .vdo file can do its magic and set my preferred display order?
As stated above, neither the versions nor the order will change when you open a new tab. After you have saved the new tab, any changes you made will be tab-specific. I.e. you can have different versions and different version order in each tab. The only time you need to open a .vdo file is if you have saved more than one version order, and you wish the change the order in an already-opened window.

I realize that it seems to be ultra hard to achieve full clarity in wording my questions here, but I hope I have made myself somewhat understandable. Essentially, I am trying to understand the relationship between .vdo files and 'Search and Display Favorites.' Primarily, how they work together and interact with each other.
You may wish to note that any versions for which you do not change the order will remain in the default order. So, if you add a version to one of your favorites, it will most likely display at the end of all the previously-ordered versions.
Also, you can change the order in a tab without saving those changes to a .vdo file. Doing so, however, will change the version order in all the tabs. So the quickest way to get back to the original version order would be to choose a saved .vdo file.
Mark Eddy

Mark Eddy
10-08-2009, 11:23 PM
will a VDO file just set the order of display versions or will it also open up any versions which may not be currently open on the specific tab I'm on (and, in fact, all of the other tabs which don't include the versions listed in the said VDO file)?
No, the .vdo file will not open any new display versions.
Actually each .vdo file contains all the versions which you have installed in BW. You can see them all, if in the "Version Order" window you check "Show All Versions" instead of checking "Show Active Only."

For example: Say I open up a new tab. On it, for example, I have WTT, BGT, NAU, and ESV set as my display versions. Then, I open my VDO file, which I have preset to include KJV, WTT, NRSV, RSV, BGT, PHE, etc. in their specified order. The question now becomes: Will opening my VDO file open up all the display versions listed therein so that they are now viewable on my tab? .
No, it will not open any new versions.
Moreover, you will never be able to open PHE in the same tab with any of the biblical versions, or vice versa. I you want to see PHE, you will have to set a separate tab with PHE or PHI or PHM as the search version.

Moreover, will it also close any open versions which are not listed in my VDO file? Or, will it only change the display order of currently opened versions to match, as much as is possible, the preset display order as specified in my VDO file?
No, and no. .vdo files do not close or shut off any display versions.
As stated above, every .vdo file actually contains all the installed versions in BibleWorks. What you have done by setting the order is just moved your chosen versions to the top of the list of versions for their given languages, or perhaps even moved them up the list, totally away from the rest of the same language versions. But each version is listed somewhere, so it will display somewhere when you make it an active display version.
Mark Eddy

ISalzman
10-09-2009, 02:00 PM
No, the .vdo file will not open any new display versions.
Actually each .vdo file contains all the versions which you have installed in BW. You can see them all, if in the "Version Order" window you check "Show All Versions" instead of checking "Show Active Only."

No, it will not open any new versions.
Moreover, you will never be able to open PHE in the same tab with any of the biblical versions, or vice versa. I you want to see PHE, you will have to set a separate tab with PHE or PHI or PHM as the search version.

No, and no. .vdo files do not close or shut off any display versions.
As stated above, every .vdo file actually contains all the installed versions in BibleWorks. What you have done by setting the order is just moved your chosen versions to the top of the list of versions for their given languages, or perhaps even moved them up the list, totally away from the rest of the same language versions. But each version is listed somewhere, so it will display somewhere when you make it an active display version.
Mark Eddy

Thanks for your heroic efforts to answer all my questions. If I may ask one more, though I am but dust and ashes (cf., Gen 18), here is my particular situation. I have so far identified and created one 'Search and Display Favorites' collection which happens to be fairly extensive and works equally well for both Testaments. Obviously, some of my OT resources like the Targumim don't show up when I am browsing a NT passage, and vice versa, my NT resources (like Salkinson-Ginzburg, Delitzsch, Scriveners, etc.) don't show up in the Browse window when I am browsing OT text. So, all in all, I am happy with my 'Search and Display Favorites.' I have all of my preferred study tools and texts there. And, alas, this is how, I think, a 'Search and Display Favorites' collection should function. It should meet the study and textual needs of the one creating the collection.

Re my VDO file, I have basically just taken the same texts/databases as are found in my 'Search and Display Favorites' and have assigned a desired viewing order to them. In other words, there is a one-to-one correspondence between my VDO file and my 'Search and Display Favorites' group. They include the same databases ('Show Active Only' is checked in my VDO file). One ('Search and Display Favorites') merely remembers the databases themselves. The other (my VDO file) assigns an order to them.

So every time that I edit my 'Search and Display Favorites' collection, I likewise, save the changes to my VDO file. For example, if I were to add Tischendorf's NT, I would probably want to order it so that it appears next to Scrivener's NT (not necessarily, but just for example purposes). So, if I understand you - Mark Eddy - correctly, if I want to update all of my tabs to reflect my revised 'Search and Display Favorites,' I would need to do so on every tab individually (by clicking the button below the Command Line and choosing 'My Favorites'). But then I would need to open my revised VDO file just once, irregardless of which tab I were on at the time, and my desired version display order would basically be set on every tab. Here's my last question on this topic (I hope!): Is what I've just said correct? Do I understand how this works correctly now? Thanks for your gracious patience.

Mark Eddy
10-10-2009, 10:57 AM
if I want to update all of my tabs to reflect my revised 'Search and Display Favorites,' I would need to do so on every tab individually (by clicking the button below the Command Line and choosing 'My Favorites').
Correct

But then I would need to open my revised VDO file just once, irregardless of which tab I were on at the time, and my desired version display order would basically be set on every tab.
Correct, except the word is "regardless". And you do not have to save the .vdo file at all. If you do not intend to use different version orders, you can simply make the changes and not save them to a .vdo file. When you close BW, it will save your version display order in the BW800.ini file. You only need a .vdo file if you plan to use different version orders, or if you occassionally want to change the version order, but you want a quick way to get back to your favorite order.

Here's my last question on this topic (I hope!): Is what I've just said correct? Do I understand how this works correctly now? Thanks for your gracious patience.
Yes, yes, and you are welcome.
Mark Eddy

ISalzman
10-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Correct

Correct, except the word is "regardless".

Wow, you're right, there! I think I've heard people use "irregardless" and have parroted that, however that makes no sense at all. You learn something every day. And I happen to cherish correct grammar. Thanks for pointing that out! I stand corrected.

And you do not have to save the .vdo file at all. If you do not intend to use different version orders, you can simply make the changes and not save them to a .vdo file. When you close BW, it will save your version display order in the BW800.ini file. You only need a .vdo file if you plan to use different version orders, or if you occassionally want to change the version order, but you want a quick way to get back to your favorite order.

Gotcha. But I still like the idea of having a .vdo file.

Yes, yes, and you are welcome.
Mark Eddy

Thanks for all your help, Mark! You've been a trooper.