PDA

View Full Version : Genitive Absolutes

agraig
09-30-2009, 08:05 PM
I am trying to search for all genitive absolutes in Matthew 1-12. Help?

Mark Eddy
09-30-2009, 10:55 PM
BibleWorks can get you started, but you have to finish the work yourself.
On the command line first type l Mat 1-12 (that's a lower case L for "limit"), then hit the enter key.
Then type on the command line (with BGM, BNM, or GNM as the search version) .*@v??g* (any lemma which is a participle of a verb of any tense or mode in the genitive case).
After you come up with this list of verses, you need to look at each one to see if it is an absolute or if the genitive is due to agreement with something else in the verse.
I hope this helps a little (you come up with 29 verses to look through).
In Christ,
Mark Eddy

MGVH
10-01-2009, 12:41 AM
I've worked on this before... I can suggest 2 options:
1) Use morphology color coding: I have blogged on this HERE (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2008/03/morphological-markup-of-greek-texts-in_11.html) and a downloadable set of color files is available. The idea here (and you can do it yourself w/out my color files) is to search for all genitive nouns and pronouns and highlight them in a distinctive way. Then search for all genitive participles and highlight them in another way. Apply the color, use the browse mode of just the Greek text, and you can visually pick out where there is both a Greek pro/noun and a participle near each other. You will still have to check whether it actually is a genitive absolute construction.
2) To really find genitive absolute constructions, you need a syntactic database (like Logos or OpenText.org (http://www.opentext.org/) offers, but they are not 100% reliable). I've attached my best attempt using the Graphical Search Engine in BW. It's not pretty... but it should reduce the number of hits you have to look through.

If someone else can tidy up that GSE search, go for it. Be sure to see other similar examples on the blog search query page (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?page_id=214).
(Michael/Jim: You're welcome to post this QF there, but it's not perfect by any means!)

MGVH
10-01-2009, 01:00 AM
I ran a syntax search in Logos, and this is the list it returned, but I found at least one omission due to faulty coding of the syntax database.
You'd think some grammar somewhere made a list of all the genitive absolutes...

Michael Hanel
10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I am trying to search for all genitive absolutes in Matthew 1-12. Help?

Based on some of your questions you've asked it sounds like you're (1) somewhat new to Greek (well I am guessing intermediate level) and (2) new to BibleWorks. It might help you to watch some of the basic study guide or tutorial videos (you can find them under Help), to get a better idea for some of the things BibleWorks can do. For instance, BibleWorks doesn't "translate" words, but you can look up Bible versions to see how others have translated them. BibleWorks also provides resources such as lexica and grammars so you can again get insight from those, but none of these answer questions for you exactly, they give you resources which you can then use to answer the questions yourself. Similarly, with your question about genitive absolutes, because that is a question about Greek syntax there is no "quick" answer. The solution Mark provided was essentially to search for genitive participles, because by definition a genitive absolute will have a genitive participle. Obviously not every hit that that search brings will be a genitive absolute, you still have to determine that yourself.

BibleWorks is a powerful tool, you just have to know what it can and can't do in order to get the most out of it.