PDA

View Full Version : Free ebook, Israel Archaeological Journey

Adelphos
09-30-2009, 01:04 PM
A free ebook from BAS, 71 page PDF, can be downloaded HERE (http://www.bib-arch.org/e-books/pdf/israel.pdf)

jimofbentley
10-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks Adelphos. I've downloaded it and it looks interesting.

Pastor David
10-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I downloaded the book and browsed through it. It looks as if there is a lot of good information in the book; however, I did notice something that I see all too often now. I don't understand why "Biblical" archeologists (or their publications), feel compelled to use the terms "BCE" and "CE" rather than BC and AD. As Christians, we should continue to use the correct terms (BC and AD), regardless of what the rest of the world says. Otherwise, it looks like a great book, one that I will enjoy. I just think that it is a shame that we (Christians) have given into pressure from the world.

Adelphos
10-11-2009, 10:27 PM
...however, I did notice something that I see all too often now. I don't understand why "Biblical" archeologists (or their publications), feel compelled to use the terms "BCE" and "CE" rather than BC and AD. As Christians, we should continue to use the correct terms (BC and AD), regardless of what the rest of the world says. Otherwise, it looks like a great book, one that I will enjoy. I just think that it is a shame that we (Christians) have given into pressure from the world.

You're preaching to the choir when you say such things to me. It rejoices my heart to read such words! :cool:

Pastor David
10-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm glad you didn't take it as a personal rebuke against you, as that wasn't my intent. God Bless, and thanks for the link.

ISalzman
10-12-2009, 09:20 AM
I downloaded the book and browsed through it. It looks as if there is a lot of good information in the book; however, I did notice something that I see all too often now. I don't understand why "Biblical" archeologists (or their publications), feel compelled to use the terms "BCE" and "CE" rather than BC and AD. As Christians, we should continue to use the correct terms (BC and AD), regardless of what the rest of the world says. Otherwise, it looks like a great book, one that I will enjoy. I just think that it is a shame that we (Christians) have given into pressure from the world.

Pastor David, I certainly appreciate and understand your concerns. But, by way of explanation, if I may: it just so happens that many of the leading biblical archaeologists in the world today are not Christians. Israeli Jews probably account for the lion's share of them. Jewish people, as well as other non-Christians, refrain from using abbreviations like AD and BC. Remember that AD stands for 'Anno Domini,' which translates to "The year of our Lord." While he is Lord to you and me, just the statement alone would be offensive to others. Orthodox Jews, for example, who haven't recognized Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of God, would find the statement blasphemous. So strong is their reverence for the uniqueness and oneness of God (cf., Deut 6:4), that for anyone else to share that glory, for instance, would be very offensive. Orthodox Jews concur strongly with the numerous prophetic statements that assert, "I am the Lord; beside Me, there is no other!" Until such time as God lifts the veil and they are able to recognize Jesus as being one with the Father and fully God, calling Jesus "Lord," as the abbreviation A.D. does, is offensive to them. In love, we must respect where they are at. The biblical archaeological studies and articles that you and I so enjoy, is largely the product of their work. It helps to understand where they are coming from. I know, because I was once one of them (not an archaeologist, but an Orthodox Jew).

Humbly submitted,

Irving Salzman

Pastor David
10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the insight Mr. Salzman. My objection is the use of the term "biblical." For one to use that term, implies a belief and adherence to the Bible. If a belief in the Bible is not the starting point for an archaeologist, then It would be a misnomer to use the term "Biblical archaeologist." Therefore, I have always equated the term with Christians. That people who do not believe the Bible use that title, is very disturbing to me. One can not legitimately claim to believe the Bible, if they have not accepted Christ as their Messiah. Simply put, If the Bible is not your foundation, you shouldn't use the title. However; if the Bible is your foundation, you should not omit the references to Christ (BC and AD). I certainly hope this helps to clarify my position. Thanks again for the insight, I have learned something new.

ISalzman
10-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the insight Mr. Salzman. My objection is the use of the term "biblical." For one to use that term, implies a belief and adherence to the Bible. If a belief in the Bible is not the starting point for an archaeologist, then It would be a misnomer to use the term "Biblical archaeologist." Therefore, I have always equated the term with Christians. That people who do not believe the Bible use that title, is very disturbing to me. One can not legitimately claim to believe the Bible, if they have not accepted Christ as their Messiah. Simply put, If the Bible is not your foundation, you shouldn't use the title. However; if the Bible is your foundation, you should not omit the references to Christ (BC and AD). I certainly hope this helps to clarify my position. Thanks again for the insight, I have learned something new.

David, I think the use of the term "biblical" in reference to archaeology is only meant to convey that the work of a biblical archaeologist is confined to sites mentioned in the Bible. As opposed to attempting to excavate sites of the Mayan and Inca civilizations in Latin and South America, or attempting to uncover artifacts from the Ming Dynasty in China, the biblical archaeologist's field of interest is confined to biblical sites, cultures, history, etc.