PDA

View Full Version : New to BW- Basic ?s

annech
09-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi! Just started using BW for a Greek class in seminary. I would like to type in an English phrase, have BW translate it into Greek (hopefully with scripture citation) and hear it read in Greek. Is this possible??? Thanks!:confused:

Mark Eddy
09-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Short answer: No. This is not possible.
Longer answer. BibleWorks will not translate anything for you. You use BibleWorks to learn to read Greek, and then to help you to translate.
But you can get some help for what you request, if you type an English phrase (begin the search with ') or key words (begin the search with .) on the command line, then BibleWorks will look up verses which contain the English phrase or words in question (and it will display the citation). If you have both your English search version and a Greek version such as BGT as your browse versions, and you are in multiple-version mode, then you will see the English phrase for which you searched highlighted in the browse window along with the Greek wording of the same verse.
If you want to know which words of Greek translate the English words, put the cursor over the various Greek words, and in the Analysis Window you will see an entry from a Greek lexicon for the word under the cursor. You can keep moving the cursor over Greek words until you see a lexical entry similar to the word or words which you used for your search.
Of course, if your professors says that this is cheating, don't do it!
If you want to hear the words pronounced, you need to use the BibleWorks flash card tool, and it pronounces only the lemmas (root words), not the specific forms in the Greek New Testament.
If you search the list, I believe you will find other threads which suggested more creative ways to hear the sounds of the words you want to learn.
In Christ,
Mark Eddy

Kimba
09-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi! Just started using BW for a Greek class in seminary. I would like to type in an English phrase, have BW translate it into Greek (hopefully with scripture citation) and hear it read in Greek. Is this possible??? Thanks!:confused:

You can go to translate.google.com and have it go from English to Greek. It will be modern Greek, so then you have to tweek it.

For example: God Loves my Sister --> Ο Θεός αγαπά την αδελφή μου
which is good.

You would probably translate it with more period words.
What it comes out with
The Dog ate my bread --> Ο σκύλος μου έφαγε το ψωμί

I would transltate into koine:
ο κυων τουσ αρτους μου εφαγεν

I envy you learning Greek treasure every moment and translate a sentence every day to keep it.