PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew Morph. code problem in GSE

Yaku Lee
09-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I am trying to build a Graphic Search Engine in which I want to include an item for any word (*) with the morphological specification as follows: noun (n), proper (p), no gender (-), no number (-), and no state (n). But every time I try to enter “n” for “no state,” I get “!” instead of “n.” (As a matter of fact, I also get “#” for “c” of “construct.”) If I run the Engine with “!” instead of “n,” I get no result, and if I run with “*” for “n,” I get more than what I need.

However, on the Command Line, I get the “n” all right and everything works fine.

I would like to know if this "bug" on GSE is mine alone, or you have the same phenomenon. And if the problem is mine alone, how can I correct it?

Thank you for your help.

Adelphos
09-26-2009, 09:41 AM
II would like to know if this "bug" on GSE is mine alone, or you have the same phenomenon. And if the problem is mine alone, how can I correct it?

What is your search version?

Yaku Lee
09-26-2009, 10:01 AM
What is your search version?
Oh! I was not specific enough. My fault. I am using BW8.

Adelphos
09-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Oh! I was not specific enough. My fault. I am using BW8.

No. What is your SEARCH VERSION? IOW, which BIBLE VERSION are you trying to search? Are you using WTM?

Yaku Lee
09-26-2009, 10:18 AM
No. What is your SEARCH VERSION? IOW, which BIBLE VERSION are you trying to search? Are you using WTM?
Sorry again. Of course I am searching on WTM. Otherwise I cannot specifiy the morrphological codes. Thank you.

Adelphos
09-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Sorry again. Of course I am searching on WTM. Otherwise I cannot specifiy the morrphological codes. Thank you.

I just wanted to make sure you weren't mistaking Aramaic for Hebrew. You did state Hebrew morphology in the title of your message, but it helps to define it in the body so that everything is clear.

In any case, if you type your search criteria on the CL and then open the GSE, it will automatically load your CL search criteria.

When I do this using the example you gave, I get the same results, so it's not specific to your system. I get no hits in both the GSE and the CL. I am not sure you are completing the search criteria properly, but I'll have to investigate that further. In the meantime, perhaps someone with more experience using the WTM & GSE can help you out.

Yaku Lee
09-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I just wanted to make sure you weren't mistaking Aramaic for Hebrew. You did state Hebrew morphology in the title of your message, but it helps to define it in the body so that everything is clear.

In any case, if you type your search criteria on the CL and then open the GSE, it will automatically load your CL search criteria.

When I do this using the example you gave, I get the same results, so it's not specific to your system. I get no hits in both the GSE and the CL. I am not sure you are completing the search criteria properly, but I'll have to investigate that further. In the meantime, perhaps someone with more experience using the WTM & GSE can help you out.
I am very amazed at your quick response, and I thank you for your seeing the problem.

As I mentioned originally, I have no problem with CL. The reason why I wanted to use GSE is because I wanted to compare WTT (WTM) with LXT (BLM), and I don't know how to do this on CL.

Yaku Lee
09-26-2009, 11:03 AM

As you said, I constructed the search command on CL and opened GSE. Wow! That "n" sticks. And I will build further on the GSE with the "n" in it later. However, once you open the "Morph" box, the "n" changes to "!"!!

But it seems that this is not the normal way to build a GSE of your design. It looks like as if you are tricking the system. Nonetheless, it is a successful tricking. A sort of a round about way. At any rate, I hope I can go on from here. Thanks.

Mark Eddy
09-26-2009, 11:17 AM
When you type in the Graphic Search Engine on the search line, the problem does not exist.
The problem comes only when you double click on the word box and type on the Word line there. Apparently BW is confusing the font. In bwhebb font the final nun (n) is the upper case 1, which in the English keyboards is "!" and the final tsade (c on the English keyboard) is the upper case 3, "#" in English keyboards. So the GSE in BW seems to act as if it is still in the Hebrew keyboard, so it automatically turns a letter at the end of the word into its final form.
It is definitely a bug. So, I'll draw it to the attention of the programmers.

You are correct that the only way to combine Greek and Hebrew in a search is through the GSE.
Mark Eddy

MBushell
09-26-2009, 03:30 PM
I posted a fix that will hopefully take care of this. The reason it hasn't shown up before is that the bug was masked unless a '-' was typed and I suppose this code character is used less commonly.

We normally try to make people go through tech support for bug reports. That's why we have tech support folk. But occasionally I can't help myself. So I always have to throw in this caveat so people don't come to expect bug fixes from forum posts. Check out 8.0.013c.

Everyone have a blessed Lord's Day.
Mike

Adelphos
09-26-2009, 04:26 PM
I posted a fix that will hopefully take care of this. The reason it hasn't shown up before is that the bug was masked unless a '-' was typed and I suppose this code character is used less commonly.

Having a basic understanding of what goes on under the hood, programmatically speaking, I echo the remarks of the other developers at how skilled and professional BibleWorks is.

It's pretty cool to open up BW and say, "Oh yeah, I know how they programmed that routine."

The problem for me, of course, is that I can only say that very sporadically. :p