PDA

View Full Version : Search Tabs

ISalzman
09-17-2009, 12:41 PM
One of the great features about BW is that of being able to have multiple search tabs. And one of the improvements in BW8 was the ability to hover your mouse over any of the tabs (including the inactive ones) and get a "word tip" informing you of the search term on that particular tab.

In my experience - and I don't know if this is normative for everyone - if I hover my mouse over the tabs, the "word tips" that I get never accurately reproduce the Greek or Hebrew characters in my search term. These are, for some reason, garbled in the "word tip." I just wanted to understand why this was so, and if this could be corrected. Any thoughts?

Mark Eddy
09-17-2009, 11:49 PM
"Never say never." On my 12 tabs right now I see proper Hebrew and Greek words in 5, and some had searches in other languages. So I see only 3 or 4 which are "garbled." What appears to have happened is that I changed languages for either the search version or some display versions, and BW appears to have "forgotten" which language the search word was in. So it turns the period at the beginning of the search into a capital A with a circle over it and changes the font to English.
This is probably a bug, so the programmers would appreciate it if you can duplicate the change of font and remember all the steps you took before the change occurred. I have not taken the time to try to repeat the problem. But it does seem to have something to do with BW being led to "think" that you are searching in a language different from Greek or Hebrew, when you think that the search is in Greek or Hebrew.
Mark Eddy

ISalzman
09-18-2009, 10:48 AM
"Never say never." On my 12 tabs right now I see proper Hebrew and Greek words in 5, and some had searches in other languages. So I see only 3 or 4 which are "garbled." What appears to have happened is that I changed languages for either the search version or some display versions, and BW appears to have "forgotten" which language the search word was in. So it turns the period at the beginning of the search into a capital A with a circle over it and changes the font to English.
This is probably a bug, so the programmers would appreciate it if you can duplicate the change of font and remember all the steps you took before the change occurred. I have not taken the time to try to repeat the problem. But it does seem to have something to do with BW being led to "think" that you are searching in a language different from Greek or Hebrew, when you think that the search is in Greek or Hebrew.
Mark Eddy

First, thanks Mark for your reply. And, alright, let me never say "never." I think you're probably onto something. I just reviewed all my search tabs and the most likely culprit was that I must have changed search versions languages) since the original/last search was performed, which wreaks havoc on the original or last search term used on that particular tab. HOWEVER, that being said, I have one search tab - in fact, the one that I used most recently - and I have not changed the search version or language there. In this particular tab, I searched using the collocation of the verb 'aman and the preposition b (see the thread "Search Help and Suggestions" also in this Forum). When I hover my mouse over the tab, it shows 'aman (in Hebrew characters) but with a final letter "Pe" instead of the final "nun." This is curious, no?

christlove
10-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey!

Due to the fact that the thread is named "Search Tabs" I will explain the request right here.

Is it possible to set search tab titles and save them? I always lose my titles after BW crashes once....

Thx in advance.
Steffen

Adelphos
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Hey!

Due to the fact that the thread is named "Search Tabs" I will explain the request right here.

Is it possible to set search tab titles and save them? I always lose my titles after BW crashes once....

Thx in advance.
Steffen

Right-click on the tab and choosse "Save Tabs To Disk"

This is an invaluable tool as far as I am concerned.

christlove
10-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Right-click on the tab and choosse "Save Tabs To Disk"

This is an invaluable tool as far as I am concerned.

I know about that option. Here are the facts: If I save the tabs it only saves the content of the tabs and not the tab titles....

Adelphos
10-21-2010, 01:54 PM
I know about that option. Here are the facts: If I save the tabs it only saves the content of the tabs and not the tab titles....

Well something is wrong, then, because when I save different tabs and then load them the titles are preserved. Make sure you have the latest updates, and reboot BibleWorks. You should probably contact customer support if you still can't get it to work.

Mark Eddy
10-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Steffen,
Did you try setting the tabs, then closing BibleWorks and reopening it? By closing BibleWorks, it should have automatically saved your tab names. If it did not save them, then perhaps there is a bug in the way BibleWorks interacts with the German edition of Windows. That has been a problem a couple times in the past.
Mark Eddy

christlove
10-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Hey Mark.

Well, I just delete the saved tab-file and renamed it and closed the program to save it automatically. If I make BW crash the saved tab-file is deleted which means I canīt load the saved file anymore(?). Even though I just saved them before....very weird. Can somebody try if anybody else is experiencing the same problem?

Thx for answering Scott & Mark and possible further paticipants.

Glenn Weaver
10-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi Steffen,

If you are experiencing crashes, then I suggest contacting Customer Service about the problem. You should not be able to make BW crash.

If you can identify repeatable steps that lead to the crashes, that will give them the information that they need to be able to diagnose the problem and provide a solution.

You can contact Customer Service through the link in my signature line.

Blessings,
Glenn

christlove
10-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Ok, should be the best...