PDA

View Full Version : hebrew flash cards

Todd Borger
09-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I am trying to construct a flash card set to go with Garrett/DeLoach's Grammar for Biblical Hebrew. If anyone knows of such a set already created, please let me know.
In the meantime, I am having problems locating flash cards in the hotvoc set. My first problem was finding the noun "judge". It turns out there is no card for this word since it is a participle form of the verb. Such is the case with the word for "enemy". Since these are common enough forms, I thought it would be helpful to have separate cards.
But now I am looking for the word for "wall" (chomah) and I am coming up blank for the entire hebrew root.
This is becoming aggravating since I use this flash card feature to find sample verses with the students' vocabulary--a very helpful feature in BW. If I create a new flash card myself, is there a way to have it help find the samples verses in the Bible?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Todd Borger
09-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I just went back to my excel, and "wall" came right up. Oh well. :confused:
If anyone has ideas, however, about whether or not a user-created card would work with the verse-finder would be helpful.

Michael Hanel
09-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Todd, the example finder should work fine in a user-created vocab file as well. ((one possible exception however. If your textbook uses a lemma that is not in BW for example, if there is no lemma for the present participle of the verb, then BW might not be able to find that form -- but this is just a guess. You'd have to experiment to know for sure.))

I do not know that the book you are using has a flashcard set done by anyone else. But when you are finished it, if you want to make it available, I can put it on the BibleWorks blog (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org) so that it will be around for others later.

Todd Borger
09-18-2009, 05:10 PM
So if I want to make a card for the noun "enemy" bya, how do I do that so that it will show up in the verse finder? In this case, the word does not have a separate lemma but apparently is listed under the verb form as a participle.

Michael Hanel
09-18-2009, 05:39 PM
So if I want to make a card for the noun "enemy" bya, how do I do that so that it will show up in the verse finder? In this case, the word does not have a separate lemma but apparently is listed under the verb form as a participle.

In BibleWorks, that word is lemmatized as a noun, so it should work ok to list it as such in your vocab list. But my advice would be to experiment. Gen 22:17 contains the Hebrew word "enemy". So see what you have to do or not do to get it to come up in the example finder.

Todd Borger
09-22-2009, 08:59 AM
In Gen 22:17, if I place my cursor over the word enemy, there is no lemma that appears, but only parsing information. Every other word shows both the parsing info and the Hebrew lemma, but with this word it does not. Am I not understanding something here, or is there a glitch?
BTW, BW is identifying the word as a noun, as you say, but it just doesn't give a lemma.

Dale A. Brueggemann
09-22-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't have that problem; the lemma shows for me.

Michael Hanel
09-22-2009, 12:22 PM
It almost sounds like you have saved over the default BibleWorks vocab file. IS it just this word and this verse that is a problem?

Todd Borger
09-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Every other word shows up fine.

Todd Borger
09-22-2009, 12:53 PM
A separate issue arose as I was arranging vocabulary and using the verse finder (or example finder, I forgot what it is called). The interrogative "he" shows itself properly when I place the cursor on top of it, but when I right-click and search for that lemma, the results include all of the definite articles as well as interrogative "he" particles. Is this just a bug that needs reporting to customer service?

Mark Eddy
09-23-2009, 12:33 AM
A separate issue arose as I was arranging vocabulary and using the verse finder (or example finder, I forgot what it is called). The interrogative "he" shows itself properly when I place the cursor on top of it, but when I right-click and search for that lemma, the results include all of the definite articles as well as interrogative "he" particles. Is this just a bug that needs reporting to customer service?
It is not a bug. What is your search version? If it is WTT, BW is designed to look up every instance of the spelling you type on the command line. Even in WTM a search on a certain spelling will show all homonyms. This is very common. If you search for a certain triliteral stem, your results will includes cognate nouns, verbs, adjectives, or whatever, as long as a lexicon spells the lemma the same.
If you want to limit the search to the interrogative H, you will have to search in WTM and type: .h@Pg* on the command line. The "g" designates the interrogative as opposed to "a" which would be the article.
In general, after you type the Hebrew stem you want on the command line (with WTM as the search version) type @, and BibleWorks will suggest possible ways to limit your search. Choose the options you want to search, or use wildcards if the options don't matter to you.
Mark Eddy

Todd Borger
09-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Mark. That does work when I type that code into the search line. What I was trying to do was to do the same search by right-clicking over certain words and choosing "search for all forms of lemma". I was hoping that would do the same thing, but in this case it doesn't appear to.

Dale, when you place your cursor over "enemy" (Heb.) in Gen 22:17, you are seeing a Hebrew showing there? Mine is definitely blank, execpt for the parsing information written in English. There is definitely a difference, but I am almost certain that I have not changed any settings. This is a fairly recent installation.