PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks 7 on CrossOver for Mac

stclark81
09-16-2009, 12:51 PM
It's been a little over a year now since I got my MacBook. In that time I've been running BibleWorks 7 on it using VMWare Fusion. For the most part, I've been fairly happy with this setup, but by the same token, VMWare is a bit of a memory hog, and can slow my system down a bit. I tried installing BW with CrossOver a few months ago, but the installation failed partway through, and I've never gotten around to trying it again.

So my question is this: is anybody else out there running BibleWorks on a Mac with CrossOver? If so, did you have any problems setting it up (and do you have any tips to help me), and do you have any thoughts about using it versus using VMWare?

Thanks!

ccozier
09-16-2009, 03:00 PM
I've been running BW 8 on a MBP for a few months now. Prior to that I ran BW7 on Linux. I used Virtual Box on both platforms with a Wine install as a backup. I agree that BW on Virtual Box (and I assume VMWare from what you've said) is a memory / processor hog. Not fatal...it will run. But just a bit too slow to work with for hours a day. I've had a very stable CrossOver install for the past few months, but when I upgraded to Snow Leopard something changed. BW8 now crashes every time I try to run it. I've reinstalled in a new bottle (XP) and still no joy. I've read that you should use Vista rather than XP for the CrossOver bottle, but I can't find a copy of Explorer that will run in a Vista bottle. So....at least with Snow Leopard I seem to have worked myself into a corner.

When last I had BW8 running on CrossOver....I had about 80% functionality. I had to get a chm reader for the help files, and the toolbar didn't work. But... the lexical reader was fine and copy / paste seemed to work great. Like I said....something like 80% functionality.

Any one else have post-Snow Leopard problems?

Ken80904
10-01-2009, 03:23 PM
This is the most stable environment I have experienced using a Mac with virtual OS's and Bibleworks for Windows. I have been using Bibleworks v7 in a virtual XP Pro sp2 768K instance that operates on my Mac using Parallels (both versions 3 or 4) for over 2 years. Bibleworks starts up slow, but after the load and the virtual machine adjusts memory allocations it appears to run the same as it did on my HP laptop before I changed to the MacBook Pro. A nice feature of Parallels is the Coherence (along with the parallel tools ) features that allows the Mac and virtual machine to share the same desktop. So.... I can have Word or Open Office running on the Mac and cut and paste from Bibleworks on the virtual windows machine without any issues. Also from other Mac users I have learned that the Mac needs at least 2gig of Ram on the Mac to make virtualization work as expected. Also the virtual XP instance memory was increased from 512K to 768K which greatly improved performance for apps such as Bibleworks.

ccozier
10-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Just one thing to add. After I upgraded to Virtual Box 3, the performance of BW was lethargic as reflected in my earlier comments in this thread. I'm running a new MBP with a dual core processor. After a bit of fumbling around, I stumbed across the Processor setting. My old virtual machine from 2 came into 3 set for a single processor. Once I changed the Processor value to 2, BibleWorks was noticeably faster. I'd still love to get a copy running using Wine / Crossover, but the speed under VB is now acceptable.