PDA

View Full Version : WBC - Logos Word Biblical Commentary

pocketscholar
09-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Has anyone figured out how to link to all the WBC books (using only one link) from BW?

Jamie

ISalzman
09-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Has anyone figured out how to link to all the WBC books (using only one link) from BW?

Jamie

That's a great question! Of course, it would be made all the more pressing if I could actually afford Logos' WBC Collection! :( I'm only a pastor, not the star quarterback of the Stampeders!

Nor am I Jarome Iginla's linemate (though I could always dream!)

pocketscholar
09-16-2009, 03:57 PM
That's a great question! Of course, it would be made all the more pressing if I could actually afford Logos' WBC Collection! :( I'm only a pastor, not the star quarterback of the Stampeders!

Nor am I Jarome Iginla's linemate (though I could always dream!)

ISalzman,

I picked up WBC on the latest sale. $399. Figured it wasn't a bad price for 59 vols.

While I was waiting for an answer I hacked in a program to do the call to "Logos - WBC" for me. It basically decides what book in Logos to call based on a reference mapping text file, like so

GEN,Genesis,1:1,15:21,WBC01
GEN,Genesis,16:1,50:26,WBC02
EXO,Exodus,,,WBC03
LEV,Leviticus,,,WBC04

Here is how the external link looks.

[Word Bible Commentary]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = "C:\development\LaunchLDLS\bin\Release\LaunchLDLS.E XE"
Parameters = WBC.TXT <book> <chapter>:<verse>
MenuLocation = Browse Window English
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Logos - WBC
Enabled = 1

Let me know if anyone has a better solution. If not, let me know if you want me to roll a version of the program and post it to the group

Jamie

Joan Korte
09-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi Jamie,

I guess links we make depend on our method of study. Typically, when I study after my lexicon work, I then move to commentaries. So, I just made an external link from BWorks to Logos commentaries search and then I do a search on my collection of NT commentaries or OT commentaries. Just my way of doing it. God Bless

ISalzman
09-16-2009, 04:57 PM
ISalzman,

I picked up WBC on the latest sale. $399. Figured it wasn't a bad price for 59 vols.

While I was waiting for an answer I hacked in a program to do the call to "Logos - WBC" for me. It basically decides what book in Logos to call based on a reference mapping text file, like so

GEN,Genesis,1:1,15:21,WBC01
GEN,Genesis,16:1,50:26,WBC02
EXO,Exodus,,,WBC03
LEV,Leviticus,,,WBC04

Here is how the external link looks.

[Word Bible Commentary]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = "C:\development\LaunchLDLS\bin\Release\LaunchLDLS.E XE"
Parameters = WBC.TXT <book> <chapter>:<verse>
MenuLocation = Browse Window English
TextType = Bible Verse
MapToVersion = RSV
Lookup = Verse Reference
MenuText = Logos - WBC
Enabled = 1

Let me know if anyone has a better solution. If not, let me know if you want me to roll a version of the program and post it to the group

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. $399 is not a bad price at all. I wonder if that sale is still going on? Of course, with WBC, as with any like commentary series, some volumes are better than others. I definitely like Wenham on Genesis though.

Greg Ward
09-16-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't have WBC, but one of the following should work:
First make a collection in WBC (if not already done). The collection name cannot have any spaces.

In the Bibleworks External Links Manager setup a Verse Reference export with the following call
libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|collection-name=(collection name, with no space, parenthesis, brackets, or anything.)

If that doesn't work the reference may need to be coded. See the following scripts: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15400&postcount=4

I pray that gets you close.

Jordan Boston
09-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks Jamie. $399 is not a bad price at all. I wonder if that sale is still going on? Of course, with WBC, as with any like commentary series, some volumes are better than others. I definitely like Wenham on Genesis though.

Where do you find it for $399.00?

pocketscholar
09-17-2009, 02:14 AM
First make a collection in WBC (if not already done). The collection name cannot have any spaces.

In the Bibleworks External Links Manager setup a Verse Reference export with the following call
libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|collection-name=(collection name, with no space, parenthesis, brackets, or anything.)

If that doesn't work the reference may need to be coded. See the following scripts: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15400&postcount=4

I pray that gets you close.

Greg,

That was exactly what I was looking for. It is a much more elegant solution. Thanks for your help! It is appreciated greatly.

The scripts are doing basically what I am doing, but in JScript. The advantage of using my method of an external mapping file is that the user could create their own mappings for different commentary collections and the program would work with no change to the code. This means I don't need to code a new script for every situation.

Jamie

pocketscholar
09-17-2009, 02:18 AM
Where do you find it for $399.00?

Jordan,

It was a deal on Facebook. The code was FBWBC but I think it ended Sept. 8th. From reading people's comments it seems that the deal comes around every once in a while.

Jamie

Jordan Boston
09-18-2009, 08:06 PM

Thanks, this works great. I used this code to make Logos open to the verse I'm on in BW in the ESV in Logos and it works wonderfully.

pocketscholar
09-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks, this works great. I used this code to make Logos open to the verse I'm on in BW in the ESV in Logos and it works wonderfully.

I thought this was working for WBC but I was wrong. It keeps openning up the bible instead of my WBC collection. Oh well, my program works good enough.

pocketscholar
10-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Due to our discussion the WBC the FBWBC coupon had been reactivated for a few more days so you can get the entire WBC-59 for just $399.95. Get it while it is hot!

Web only, no phone orders: http://www.logos.com/products/details/3671 (http://www.logos.com/products/details/3671)
Coupon code: FBWBC

PS: I have no affiliation with Logos.

Dan Phillips
10-01-2009, 08:20 PM
It includes A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith? Reymond's? I don't get that. I mean, it'd certainly sweeten the pot; it's a terrific theology. Odd fit, though a Reformed, inerrantist theology paired with such a neo-, theologically wobbly, Fullerian series.

Andrew Chuter
10-02-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm a very new user of BibleWorks (couple of days!) so there may be more elegant ways of linking WBC in Logos (Libronix) with BibleWorks - but following has worked for me.

1. Link all WBC commentaries together using Resource Association (parallel) function in Logos.
2. Save a single WBC commentary (any) in a Logos Workspace plus a linked bible (I've used NRSV).
3. Use the preset Logos - Bible option in 'External Link Manager' (BW) as the way into Logos - it will need to be same bible version as in 2 (above) (I think it is was originally set as KJV but I've changed it to NRSV). Once Logos has been opened via this facility (right/left use of mouse over a verse reference in BW - this will initially open up the bible but not the workspace in Logos) you will then need to open the saved Workspace in Logos.
4. Once Workspace has been opened from this stage onwards left-clicking over a verse reference in BW followed by right clicking on the appropriate reference in resultant drop down menu in BW will get you to relevant verse in WBC any where in collection. You can then keep changing to different parts of WBC collection by single right/left use of mouse in BW.

If anyone knows of a more efficient approach would be pleased to hear!

Andrew

Andrew Chuter
10-02-2009, 07:32 PM
With respect to my previous message I should have mentioned that intially I tried using the suggestion made earlier in the discussion thread but like another contributer I found it didn't work - all it did was open up my Bible - my solution works for me in getting me anywhere in WBC collection but as stated there may be more efficient ways of doing this.

Andrew

Felix Brito
04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi Jamie,

I guess links we make depend on our method of study. Typically, when I study after my lexicon work, I then move to commentaries. So, I just made an external link from BWorks to Logos commentaries search and then I do a search on my collection of NT commentaries or OT commentaries. Just my way of doing it. God Bless

Please, Joan, can you tell me how to make the external link to Logos Commentaries search? I use Logos 4. Thank you for your help.

Joan Korte
04-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Please, Joan, can you tell me how to make the external link to Logos Commentaries search? I use Logos 4. Thank you for your help.

Hi Jamie,
It is a little different (or more like a lot) in Logos 4 v. Libronix. The method I devised is all based on collections of commentaries. For example, in Logos 4 I grouped NT commentaries into several groups such as Exegetical, Critical, Expository, Homiletical. Whichever way works for you given that you do not put the same commentary set in more than one group. The reason for that is that when you make your collections in Logos 4, I checked the box "Show In Parallel Resources" (it is inline following the box you type the name of your commentary). The logic is to make use of parallel resources once you have jumped from BibleWorks to Logos. Into each of my particular collections, I placed a one volume "commentary" such as Net Bible Notes, that is versified with a lot of verses because you will use that particular resource in BibleWorks when you make your external link. If I picked a one volume commentary that only mentioned a few verses per chapter, then it would not work in BibleWorks with a verse you had selected to study in Logos. It would not exist in your linked book. (I hope this all makes sense). Once I found the book, e.g. Net Bible Notes, I would ensure that it is in my commentary collection. Then, I move to BibleWorks to set up the external link.

Now in BibleWorks in the Edit External Links, my link looks like this:

The complete line of "File to open" reads as follows:

libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<book>%20<chapter>%3A<verse>|res=LLS:2.0.1026

I enable that link and selected OK. When I am using BibleWorks if I want to jump to Logos 4 NT Crit Commentaries, I highlight John 14:6 in BibleWorks, right click and select Net Notes-NT Crit which is what I named the link and then Logos 4 opens to that verse in Net Bible Notes. Once I am there, I can scroll through my parallel resources to find the other commentaries I put in that collection.

Keeping in mind that you get the unique resource address from its information panel in Logos 4 when the resource is open. If I can help you any more, I would be happy to. It took hours of fiddling around but it paid off!!

And this method forces you to become really familiar with your commentary groupings. The more difficult part was finding one volume commentaries that were well-versified for each collection. I can help you with that, too, if you need it.