PDA

View Full Version : New Testament Quotes of the Old Testament

Jordan Boston
09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
I was wondering if any one knew if there was a way to use or to search cross references and find something like every citation in the Pauline epistles of Isaiah? For instance could I do a search that shows me every Old Testament quote in a certain book of the NT?

-Jordan

Adelphos
09-15-2009, 11:38 PM
I wrote a synopsis file with the OT quotes in Matthew that BibleWorks includes in its installation. I don't remember what they've named it now, as I overwrote the synopsis files to my own names, but look for a file named otquotes or something similar. You do this by opening the synopsis tool and then choosing "open" from the menu. This will give you a listing of the available synopsis files. As I said, this only covers Matthew, but it's a start that you can add to if you are so inclined.

Jordan Boston
09-15-2009, 11:52 PM
I wrote a synopsis file with the OT quotes in Matthew that BibleWorks includes in its installation. I don't remember what they've named it now, as I overwrote the synopsis files to my own names, but look for a file named otquotes or something similar. You do this by opening the synopsis tool and then choosing "open" from the menu. This will give you a listing of the available synopsis files. As I said, this only covers Matthew, but it's a start that you can add to if you are so inclined.

Awesome, this worked great! It was a file (using BibleWorks 8) called ntot.sdf
Thanks for the help I had no idea these files even existed.

This file also contains more than just Matthew, it seems to be the whole NT

Thanks again!

Dale A. Brueggemann
09-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Also, you may have Archer & Chirichigno, which analyzes the use of the OT in the NT. If you have it, find it here:
Resources > Miscellaneous > Archer & Chirichigno OT Quotes in NT

jfidel
09-16-2009, 11:37 AM
I agree that this is a great resource. Too bad it cannot be searched to find all OT reference in a NT book. It is set up with the TOC being based on the OT. Also, the search function is very limited.

ISalzman
09-16-2009, 12:14 PM
I agree that this is a great resource. Too bad it cannot be searched to find all OT reference in a NT book. It is set up with the TOC being based on the OT. Also, the search function is very limited.

This might make a great suggestion for future updates or versions of BW. Make Chirichigno and Archer searchable by Bible reference.

jfidel
09-16-2009, 04:57 PM
My recommendation would be to dump the current way all additional resources are currently provided and create an e book that is fully searchable.

It would be especially helpful with this resources.

Jim Wert
09-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I agree that this is a great resource. Too bad it cannot be searched to find all OT reference in a NT book. It is set up with the TOC being based on the OT. Actually, if you open A&C, click on "Contents" in the Contents Tab, and then click on "Quotation Tool Contents—New Testament Order" you can display the information for any NT passage cited in A&C. (A&C is part of the base BW product for releases 7 & 8. I don't know about earlier releases)

Concerning the Synopsis files that come with BibleWorks:
"matthewotquote.sdf" is the one Adelphos supplied.
"ntot.sdf" was supplied by Jeff Jackson (according to a comment at the top of the file).
If you open a .sdf file with something like notepad, or in the synopsis window choose file/edit you can see comments at the top if the creator put any in. In the case of "matthewotquote.sdf" this comment is there:
"/Explanation: FQ = Full Quote; AQ = Allegorical or Allusion Quote; Name of Speaker"

Suggestion for people contributing .sdf (synopsis) files:
If you want your comments to appear when using the tool, not just when editing the file, you can do something like this:
For best results turn off View/Remove Blanks |*|*|*|*
First Column is Matthew; Second Column is Mark; Third Column is Luke; Fourth Column has supplementary references. |*|*|*|*
which then displays like this:
For best results turn off View/Remove Blanks ()
First Column is Matthew; Second Column is Mark; Third Column is Luke; Fourth Column has supplementary references. ()
Yes, it would be prettier without the () at the end, but it does allow you to display comments to the user.

--Jim

Adelphos
09-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Those are good observations, Jim.

Actually, I modified my own file some months ago with regard to displaying the explanations in the first line of the file. If anyone wants it, I can post it on my site, or send it to Michael as an update, although you have already explained it.

Jordan Boston
09-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Actually, if you open A&C, click on "Contents" in the Contents Tab, and then click on "Quotation Tool Contents—New Testament Order" you can display the information for any NT passage cited in A&C. (A&C is part of the base BW product for releases 7 & 8. I don't know about earlier releases)

I'm new to BibleWorks, so I did not know about this either, thanks for the tip guys. It is helpful to be able to go to a NT passage and then see the corresponding # and simply click to go to the OT passage along with the NT one for comparison.

MGVH
09-19-2009, 11:57 PM
As already noted, the OT/NT synopsis files are a great resource and Archer & Chirichigno should also be consulted for somewhat more in-depth study.
Some other resources (in BW or online or printed) to check include the following:

Remember to check out the TSK = Treasury of Scripture Knowledge (It's linked to the verse displayed in the Browse window. Find it in the X-Refs section of Analysis window and choose from drop-down list.)
At the back of a printed copy of Nestle-Aland (also in the NET Bible diglot edition) or UBS4, you will find indices of quotations/allusions in OT/NT
Check (hardcopy) of Carson/Beale's Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0801026938?ie=UTF8&tag=parablesofjes-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0801026938)
Check this web site for NT Allusions to Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha (http://www.bombaxo.com/allusions.html)
OT texts quoted or alluded to in Charlesworth's OTPseudepigrapha (http://web.archive.org/web/20071021053642/http://bombaxo.com/otpindex.html)