PDA

View Full Version : MS Windows 7 compatibility with BW 8, 7....

Bennett B. Wethered
09-14-2009, 09:23 AM
I currently use MS Vista as my OS and it works fine for me with BibleWorks 8.

Has the BW staff yet tested BW 8 with Microsoft Windows 7, which will come into general use late next month? I have pre-ordered it, and the great majotity of what I've read about it refers to it as a great improvement over Vista. But....can you tell me if you know that it will work with BW 8? And, if you have found that a patch will be needed (as BW 7 needed with Vista), how soon will it be available? Or, if you haven't yet tested it, can you tell me (and any othere interested readers :) ) how soon you might, so any possible incompatibilities will be addressed? - Thanks.

Adelphos
09-14-2009, 09:40 AM
See this announcement --

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3819

Bennett B. Wethered
09-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Scott. I had looked, but not thoroughly enough, to see if this had been addressed earlier. No surprise that the brothers at BibleWorks had already checked this out. :)

Michael Hanel
09-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Scott. I had looked, but not thoroughly enough, to see if this had been addressed earlier. No surprise that the brothers at BibleWorks had already checked this out. :)

Actual experience may vary, but based on what I've read about Windows 7, the upgrade process should be more like going from Windows 2000 -> XP than Windows XP -> Vista. No doubt there will be snafus, but it shouldn't be such a chaotic implosion that was Vista. 7 seems to be more of a known quantity since it's been so widely distributed online in beta/trial versions.

Adelphos
09-14-2009, 10:28 AM
I may have to hook up another toaster or maybe even a microwave to my Commodore 64 to get Windows 7 on that, but from I hear about Windows 7, it'll be worth it.

I wonder what kinda commercials Apple is going to come up with now!

bobvenem
09-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I wonder what kinda commercials Apple is going to come up with now!

Something like, "No, really. It was only one virus.":cool:

Adelphos
09-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I just got another netbook, a new eee Seashell with 10.5 hour battery life, and 2G RAM (upgraded), and I am very pleased to know that it works well with Windows 7...

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/ASUS-Eee-PC-1005HA-P.htm

Let's hope Windows 7 lives up to all the good vibes that are floating around.

Course, that don't mean I'm giving up my Commodor 64 as my main computer.

MBushell
09-14-2009, 08:33 PM
We have been using (and developing) BibleWorks 8 under Windows 7 for some time now. And we are now running the retail version (available early to developers). No problems. The BW 8 installation should not require any patches (though if you are installing BW 7 the patch will still be needed).

I really like Windows 7 - and you all know how much I disliked Vista. There are some very minor issues but nothing more than that. It is what Vista should have been. The upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 will be painless for most people.

Mike

Adelphos
09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
There are some very minor issues but nothing more than that.

I'm not plugged in to the subscription like you guys. Anything I need to be aware of?

fibranz
09-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I have been using BibleWorks 8 on my Windows 7 eval version for a few months now and both are great. I never liked Vista and refused to use it and was concerned about Windows 7 (I am a software developer) but once we started using Windows Server 2008, which is similar to Windows 7 I went ahead and took the plunge. I am very pleased with the results.

BibleWorks 8 is outstanding and I have had zero problems so far with it on Windows 7. When you understand what goes into creating/maintaining/improving an application the size and scope of BibleWorks 8 you realize that the guys at BibleWorks are just plain scary!

Thanks much.

John

melissalynn
12-29-2009, 01:47 AM
please someone give me the vista patch. I go into the threads that mention that it should be on that thread and it shows up as no thread. I need the patch for my bibleworks 7 for windows 7 and I'm hoping it works because otherwise, I want to take this new laptop back.

bkMitchell
12-29-2009, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=melissalynn;21227 I need the patch for my bibleworks 7 for windows 7 and I'm hoping it works because otherwise, I want to take this new laptop back.[/QUOTE]

To my knowledge there is no need for a patch for BW in Windows 7.
(I have both Windows 7 ultimate and Windows 7 starter and have had no issues whatsoever with BibleWorks8 running on them.)

However, if you really need a patch for Vista then you will find it in
EdMellot's post on 01-31-2007, 01:53 AM:
How Can I Prepare BibleWorks to Run in Windows Vista or Windows 7?
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4321

MBushell
12-30-2009, 10:35 AM
BW7 came out before Vista and the original CD set is not compatible with Vista. We came out with a later CD set which is compatible, so it depends on which CD set you have. If you have the earlier set you can get a patch that will fix the Vista related problems. More information would be required to give you specific instruction. Contact support@bibleworks.com or call 1-888-747-8200.

Michael Hanel
12-31-2009, 10:32 AM
I got a new computer for Christmas with an Intel i5 processor and 4 GB of RAM. I'm also running 64 bit Windows 7. I must say the BibleWorks 8 runs significantly faster. Usually the only waiting time I was used to was the initial opening of BibleWorks while it initialized versions, but now that wait time is much smaller.

I had one small glitch with the fonts not working (not sure what happened), but I simply reinstalled the fonts again from the BibleWorks folder and have had no problems since.

Adelphos
12-31-2009, 12:00 PM
I got a new computer for Christmas with an Intel i5 processor and 4 GB of RAM. I'm also running 64 bit Windows 7.

What version of Win 7 are you running? I'm thinking about upgrading to a new 64 bit computer/OS pretty soon, and I'm thinking that I'll probably get at least the Win 7 version which allows me to run in XP mode (don't remember what that Win 7 version is called).

Michael Hanel
12-31-2009, 12:05 PM
What version of Win 7 are you running? I'm thinking about upgrading to a new 64 bit computer/OS pretty soon, and I'm thinking that I'll probably get at least the Win 7 version which allows me to run in XP mode (don't remember what that Win 7 version is called).

I am running the Ultimate version, but I haven't installed anything to run the XP mode. According to this website (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx), XP mode can be run in Professional or Ultimate. Our IT Dept suggested going with the Ultimate version because it included the most support for networking (and because it was a student license all versions were the same price).

Adelphos
12-31-2009, 12:12 PM
I am running the Ultimate version, but I haven't installed anything to run the XP mode. According to this website (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx), XP mode can be run in Professional or Ultimate. Our IT Dept suggested going with the Ultimate version because it included the most support for networking (and because it was a student license all versions were the same price).

I don't need the extra networking capabilities so I'll probably go with Professional, even though from what I can gather the XP mode capability may not really be necessary. But I better get it to be safe.

jwnaumann
12-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Help! I know very little about the capabilities of BW but I regularly use it for my Greek and Hebrew exegesis. So I am in Lamentations and I hilight a word and do a word search. That works OK. Now I am wondering what the other commands do when I right click. So I click the bottom one which says something about Logos--not a good idea. Now I have only two windows, one with the search results and the other with the text. But I want to do some work in 1 Corinthians, so I go up to select the book and I have only OT books listed. How can I get my old familiar BW back? What did I do wrong?
Jim

SkipB
12-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Jim
From the menu bar click on view.
place cursor on show/hide
click on analysis window to get the 3rd pane back

now
above the text (or browse window) there is a drop down box with the 3letter abbreviation for the current search version.
click the down arrow and select the language and version you regularly search. You have probably switched to a hebrew version in your word search and that is why only the ot shows now. Hope that helps